• Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2018 4:14 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2005
2122 posts
90 upvotes
Does the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller ever go on sale? Looking to finally finish BoTW
Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8
Gigabyte Z170X
32GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 3400
Asus Strix 1080 GTX
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2
Asus ROG Swift PG348Q
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1934 posts
777 upvotes
Hamilton
jdmkidd wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 9:56 pm
Does the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller ever go on sale? Looking to finally finish BoTW
Lol @ Nintendo stuff ever going on sale.
Aug 20, 2009
6326 posts
997 upvotes
Grimsby
jdmkidd wrote:
Nope. Best bet is to use a birthday gift card towards making it cheaper or Shoppers points.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4998 posts
700 upvotes
calgary
If anyone thinks either of these guys are launching a new console in 2019 I have a bridge to sell you.

Didn't the Pro Controller first retail at 99.99? I got it at 89.99 this past boxing day.
That's stupidly expensive for what is just the equivalent of a XB1 controller, I'm not sure what exactly is in them that justifys the added 30$ over the XB1/PS4 controller but it could just be that Nintendo tax.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6364 posts
1472 upvotes
The Nintendo Switch Pro controller has always been $89.99 except for the limited edition controllers
which are $99.99 (Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 versions):

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ni ... 46070.aspx?

Perhaps the HD rumble and Amiibo NFC reader come at a premium price.
An extra pair of Joycons are $99.99 still but I think those have been on sale somewhere for $79.99 at one point.

SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 11:13 am
If anyone thinks either of these guys are launching a new console in 2019 I have a bridge to sell you.

Didn't the Pro Controller first retail at 99.99? I got it at 89.99 this past boxing day.
That's stupidly expensive for what is just the equivalent of a XB1 controller, I'm not sure what exactly is in them that justifys the added 30$ over the XB1/PS4 controller but it could just be that Nintendo tax.
I think the PS5 has a good chance of arriving at holiday 2019. The best selling home console of all time is the PS2 which topped out at 157 million
units sold followed by the Nintendo wii at 104 million units. The PS2 also benefited from being a comparatively cheap DVD player compared to standalone DVD players at the time.

PS4 will beat out the Wii's sales in about a year and a half.
I don't think Sony and Microsoft will drag out the console generation as long as the PS3 and 360 gen.
A holiday 2013 launch to the 2019 holiday season is already 6 years.

It seems unlikely that Final Fantasy 7 Remake will be a PS4 title at this point considering how Square Enix takes way longer to finish any of their big projects than expected.
That only leaves The Last of Us 2 for 2019 as the PS4's swan song title like how The Last of Us was the PS3's last major release.

Last edited by XFactor11 on Jan 10th, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6364 posts
1472 upvotes
Videogame Dunkey's best of 2017. He included some 2016 games in there.

Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4998 posts
700 upvotes
calgary
XFactor11 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 11:44 am
I think the PS5 has a good chance of arriving at holiday 2019. The best selling home console of all time is the PS2 which topped out at 157 million
units sold followed by the Nintendo wii at 104 million units. The PS2 also benefited from being a comparatively cheap DVD player compared to standalone DVD players at the time.

I don't think Sony and Microsoft will drag out the console generation as long as the PS3 and 360 gen.

It seems unlikely that Final Fantasy 7 Remake will be a PS4 title at this point considering how Square Enix takes way longer to finish any of their big projects than expected.
That only leaves The Last of Us 2 for 2019 as the PS4's swan song title like how The Last of Us was the PS3's last major release.
You can't compare this generation to the 360/PS3 Gen because both Sony and Microsoft have launched a half step. PS4Pro launched a little over a year ago.

I don't think we'll see a PS5 till 2020 at the earliest.

At this point I don't realistically see what a new generation could add at this point without costing an arm and a leg.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5744 posts
1921 upvotes
Toronto
I don't see it happening because there's not much to offer that soon that isn't on the table already. As it is the "4K" Pro and X models are getting mild interest at best as most people are already happy with their base model consoles. What more can they offer in 2019? Better framerates at 4K? no one would care about and that people just need games, especially Xbox owners.
There needs to be a major leap in tech or innovation for a new console to be worthwhile and 4K or better framerates isn't it. Needs to be something like vastly improved cheap VR or something we can't even predict at this point. Maybe something like a far better competitor to the Switch could be interesting but I can't imagine MS entering the handheld market
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1032 posts
265 upvotes
Redmask wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 9:07 pm
A new console doesn't solve anything and agreed, they didn't do well with the 360 because it was first. They need to make long term investments in studios and properly manage their existing IP. Scalebound gets cancelled but we're getting...Crackdown 3, a game with an even more troubled development history. Anyone else remember the power of the cloud? I don't either. Why are we getting a third Crackdown game at all? The first game was successful largely due to timing more than anything else and I would argue time hasn't treated its gameplay loop well. The second game was frankly not very good and yet we're getting a third one instead of a sequel to something like Sunset Overdrive or taking a chance on something new like Scalebound. SSO was a really solid game that just needed refinement and new writers, something a sequel could have addressed.

I have an X, what I need is games. And it doesn't look like there is any easy answer for that coming. They are floating rumors like crazy to distract people but nothing seems to be on the horizon. I don't need a new Xbox in 2019, heck I don't want anymore new consoles before HDMI 2.1 is common. What I want from Microsoft is unique gaming experiences, something Sony and Nintendo figured out a long time ago. Innovation is why the 360 was successful. They introduced cool new features and they had interesting franchises. I haven't seen anything new or exciting from Microsoft in years.
What being able to make your controller into any color you want not cool enough for you? ;)

Sunset Overdrive 2 on the xbox needs to happen! If Sony gets this game on the PS4 there will be huge backlash! Sega is looking for a publisher for a Jet Set Radio remake. Have Remedy make an Alan Wake or Quantum Break 2. At this point MS needs to be pumping out games and non of this timed exclusive garbage. Timed exclusives won't make people buy your console, they will just wait for the game to come out on their console with all the DLC included.

Apparently the specs for HDMI 2.1 were just finalized so it won't make it into 2018 TVs. Will probably start hitting mainstream by 2019.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1032 posts
265 upvotes
jdmkidd wrote:
I bought my Wii U Pro controller when the Source was having a promo $25 off when you spend $50 last valentine's so it came out to almost half price. That was a good deal.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1032 posts
265 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 11:44 am

I don't think you can look to the past as an indicator to the future in this case. It's like popcorn, you don't want to take it out of the microwave while it's still popping. For all intents and purposes the PS4 is still selling very well and future price cuts will keep that popcorn popping! Mmmm pass the butter! :)

There's also no way of predicting the saturation point especially at a time when gaming is becoming more and more mainstream with an increase in the female demographic and kids of this generation literally being born with tablets in their hands being exposed to games at a younger age.

The other caveat has to do with the unprecedented mid-gen refresh. One of the reasons for pushing for a new generation is because the hardware starts becoming long in the tooth but I think that the mid gen refresh will actually prolong this generation as people who want more performance can just buy a Pro and 1X.

I think if there will be a saturation point it will be people's wallets. Having to buy an PS4 + Xbox + Switch + gaming PC + yearly subscriptions for all of the consoles... gaming is no longer a hobby for the poor.

I think that Sony will continue to focus on the PS4 and when they finally decide to release the PS5 they will force the devs to release the games for both PS4 and PS5 the way they did with Persona 5 or Nintendo with BOTW for the Wii U and Switch.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5131 posts
1953 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 12:32 pm
I don't see it happening because there's not much to offer that soon that isn't on the table already. As it is the "4K" Pro and X models are getting mild interest at best as most people are already happy with their base model consoles. What more can they offer in 2019? Better framerates at 4K? no one would care about and that people just need games, especially Xbox owners.
There needs to be a major leap in tech or innovation for a new console to be worthwhile and 4K or better framerates isn't it. Needs to be something like vastly improved cheap VR or something we can't even predict at this point. Maybe something like a far better competitor to the Switch could be interesting but I can't imagine MS entering the handheld market
I think the X has received a lot more than "mild interest"...granted it was release in limited quantities, I think it's done really well and the devs are supporting it. I wouldn's say the same for the PS4 Pro when it was released.

Having said that, Sony really should thank MS for releasing the X.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5744 posts
1921 upvotes
Toronto
9394 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 4:05 pm
I think the X has received a lot more than "mild interest"...granted it was release in limited quantities, I think it's done really well and the devs are supporting it. I wouldn's say the same for the PS4 Pro when it was released.
I guess perception of how well they're doing is subjective but the fact is there are still way more people with the original models who don't care and probably never will. The Pro and X will always be a niche market and further to the point there isn't much a new console can offer in 2019 that those aren't already. If console gamers really do care about 4K then they can just upgrade to an X or Pro but I think it's more likely the original models will continue to outsell them as they get even cheaper.
Aug 20, 2009
6326 posts
997 upvotes
Grimsby
The flipside of his comment too is that many devs wouldn't probably even bother with enhancement patches for such a small userbase unless they knew they could also tag the PS4 market at the same time.

Anyways I think it would be too soon for Microsoft to introduce a new console in 2019, certainly I wouldn't be thrilled after an expensive X upgrade that they haven't done a good job supporting with first party software. They need to prove themselves again on the software front before they go back to more hardware.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5131 posts
1953 upvotes
Redmask wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 9:49 pm
The flipside of his comment too is that many devs wouldn't probably even bother with enhancement patches for such a small userbase unless they knew they could also tag the PS4 market at the same time.

Anyways I think it would be too soon for Microsoft to introduce a new console in 2019, certainly I wouldn't be thrilled after an expensive X upgrade that they haven't done a good job supporting with first party software. They need to prove themselves again on the software front before they go back to more hardware.
It's all about the software. Do we have any indication of how many PS4 Pro and X's have been sold?