• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2018 9:44 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6620 posts
1613 upvotes
Dark Souls 1 Remastered was announced during the Nintendo Direct of all places.
Set to release on May 25th, 2018 on Switch, PS4, XBox One and PC.

Big thread on it here:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/dark-s ... -25.15671/

Time to bring back the best NPC, Solaire, the leader of the Sun bros.

Last edited by XFactor11 on Jan 11th, 2018 12:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Aug 20, 2009
6615 posts
1276 upvotes
Grimsby
9394 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 11:48 am
It's all about the software. Do we have any indication of how many PS4 Pro and X's have been sold?
Sony claims 1 in 4 PS4s sold is a Pro but I haven't bothered to extrapolate what that means in numbers. Microsoft stopped disclosing Xbox sales figures altogether after poor showings in the first year so no one knows about the X. They've used rosy marketing language "Best Xbox Launch Ever" but haven't quantified it, analyst estimates were 900k. At this point after the holiday season I suspect Pro sales are around 3-4m and X sales 2m or less. I think like ReeGee said, its safe to assume they're both going to be niche consoles for awhile yet.

Anyways I think we all agree 2019 is too soon after these mid-gen replacements. I am also very interested in companies maintaining compatibility for another gen, I would not be very favorable to them if they choose to break it so soon.

Woot on Dark Souls 1 remaster, one of the few games I would maybe double dip on. As long as they clean up the framerate in Blight Town. I wonder if Batman re-regged and is lurking here.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1104 posts
287 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 12:32 pm
I don't see it happening because there's not much to offer that soon that isn't on the table already. As it is the "4K" Pro and X models are getting mild interest at best as most people are already happy with their base model consoles. What more can they offer in 2019? Better framerates at 4K? no one would care about and that people just need games, especially Xbox owners.
There needs to be a major leap in tech or innovation for a new console to be worthwhile and 4K or better framerates isn't it. Needs to be something like vastly improved cheap VR or something we can't even predict at this point. Maybe something like a far better competitor to the Switch could be interesting but I can't imagine MS entering the handheld market
I never owned a base PS4, only the Pro but going by the specs the Pro is only twice as powerful. The base Xbox is extremely weak and underpowered while the X is 4.5 times more powerful and the visual difference is immediately noticeable. To put that into perspective OG Xbox One is 5.4 times more powerful than the xbox 360 so the X represents almost a full generational leap in performance.

I'm surprised to hear you say that framerate doesn't matter since I thought PCMASTERRACE was all about the framerate. Holiday 2019 is still 2 years away. I'd be down for a more powerful console by then. It's like upgrading your phone or your PC every couple of years. This wouldn't be a problem if they could manage to continue the trend of backwards compatibility. This is the one area Sony is lagging behind MS and this would be a huge boon if they offered this to their gamers. We know how Sony likes to one up MS so who knows.

But you're right usually we see some kind of technological leap with console releases. RGB->Composite->HDMi->480p->720p->1080p->4K

Next gen we are going to go from 4K to 4K? Not sure if better framerate is enough of a selling point. They are releasing 8K TVs this year but there's still only a small segment of people that actually have 4K TVs let alone 8K!
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1104 posts
287 upvotes
Redmask wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 1:03 pm
Sony claims 1 in 4 PS4s sold is a Pro but I haven't bothered to extrapolate what that means in numbers. Microsoft stopped disclosing Xbox sales figures altogether after poor showings in the first year so no one knows about the X. They've used rosy marketing language "Best Xbox Launch Ever" but haven't quantified it, analyst estimates were 900k. At this point after the holiday season I suspect Pro sales are around 3-4m and X sales 2m or less. I think like ReeGee said, its safe to assume they're both going to be niche consoles for awhile yet.

Anyways I think we all agree 2019 is too soon after these mid-gen replacements. I am also very interested in companies maintaining compatibility for another gen, I would not be very favorable to them if they choose to break it so soon.

Woot on Dark Souls 1 remaster, one of the few games I would maybe double dip on. As long as they clean up the framerate in Blight Town. I wonder if Batman re-regged and is lurking here.
1 in 4 PS4 Pros for a niche product is still very good. Hopefully MS is close to that. One thing is for sure we need MS in the console business if for no other reason than to keep Sony honest. I make my disdain for Phil Spencer no secret. Sony ate a huge slice of humble pie last gen so hopefully this is MS turn and they come out stronger and more consumer focused next generation.

Great news about Dark Souls Remaster. One of the downfalls of past Nintendo consoles was the lack of 3rd party and mature games. With the release of DOOM and now Dark Souls on the Switch, Nintendo definitely came to play!

You can play The World Ends With You on an Android or iOS tablet which is how I played it,
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6132 posts
2226 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 2:27 pm
I'm surprised to hear you say that framerate doesn't matter since I thought PCMASTERRACE was all about the framerate. Holiday 2019 is still 2 years away. I'd be down for a more powerful console by then. It's like upgrading your phone or your PC every couple of years. This wouldn't be a problem if they could manage to continue the trend of backwards compatibility. This is the one area Sony is lagging behind MS and this would be a huge boon if they offered this to their gamers. We know how Sony likes to one up MS so who knows.
It matters to me but already having that capability on PC is exactly why most people, especially ones who play on PC as well, don't care about buying an entirely new console just for some marginal short lived performance gains. I buy consoles for their exclusive games and novel hardware experience, not how they run. If a game runs well it's a bonus but I don't really expect it or care on a $300 box. If I want to play multiplatform games with better graphics and framerate, it's much cheaper and more practical to do so on PC.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5033 posts
730 upvotes
calgary
PS4Pro/XB1X are definitely niche, most consumers don't even understand resolution/framerate performance and that sort of thing and just want to play the latest EA sports game/CoD.

Having said that I think XB1X (with a year to learn from what the PS4Pro did wrong) is doing a lot of things better than the Pro right out of the gate than the PS4Pro and the reception has been far better.
ReeGee wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 10:27 am
It matters to me but already having that capability on PC is exactly why most people, especially ones who play on PC as well, don't care about buying an entirely new console just for some marginal short lived performance gains. I buy consoles for their exclusive games and novel hardware experience, not how they run. If a game runs well it's a bonus but I don't really expect it or care on a $300 box. If I want to play multiplatform games with better graphics and framerate, it's much cheaper and more practical to do so on PC.
Not to start a PC vs. Console debate but have you seen the price of computer parts lately? A GTX 1070 alone will set you back 600$. I know its as a result of the bitcoin craze and things are likely to settle but it's anything but cheap if your looking to jump in right now.

If you purchased a 4K TV and want a 4K gaming machine to go with it there is several really good argument to be made that the 1X offers the best bang for your buck right now.

But then again I hate to do that comparison because PC vs console gaming to me isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6132 posts
2226 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 11:45 am
If you purchased a 4K TV and want a 4K gaming machine to go with it there is several really good argument to be made that the 1X offers the best bang for your buck right now.
In terms of pure price to performance ratio for the latest games that's true but that also comes with a lot of shortcomings. I'd personally eat the higher hardware costs for the additional benefits, the big ones being near limitless backwards compatibility and being able to run any game from the last couple decades at 4K (including older emulated consoles), free online, actually free games, more frequent better sales, non gaming applications and longer term performance sustainability. If a person doesn't care about any of that and is just looking to play a handful of flavor of the month games per year at 4K then the 1X or Pro is absolutely the better investment.
Jan 16, 2011
407 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
Any more knowledgeable insights on nVidia Shield as a gaming console? I'm very interested in the GeForce Now titles - and whether they can do 4K HDR.

Thanks in advance!
Aug 20, 2009
6615 posts
1276 upvotes
Grimsby
ihacki wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 8:50 am
Any more knowledgeable insights on nVidia Shield as a gaming console? I'm very interested in the GeForce Now titles - and whether they can do 4K HDR.

Thanks in advance!
I would not recommend the Shield as a gaming console unless you're going to use Gamestream. The library of titles for GeForce Now isn't awful but not exactly stellar either, the PC version of GFN is a bit different and lets you stream games from your GOG/Steam libraries apparently but I haven't tried it. GeForce Now is limited to 1080/60fps whereas Gamestream can do HDR/4K but you need a gaming PC on a wired network to pull it off.

The Shield rocks as a media streamer but for gaming its more of a casual thing. I use mine to do some emulation of older consoles and for Kodi/Plex/NFL.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
2351 posts
369 upvotes
Ajax
Bryson wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 2:27 pm
I never owned a base PS4, only the Pro but going by the specs the Pro is only twice as powerful. The base Xbox is extremely weak and underpowered while the X is 4.5 times more powerful and the visual difference is immediately noticeable. To put that into perspective OG Xbox One is 5.4 times more powerful than the xbox 360 so the X represents almost a full generational leap in performance.

But you're right usually we see some kind of technological leap with console releases. RGB->Composite->HDMi->480p->720p->1080p->4K

Next gen we are going to go from 4K to 4K? Not sure if better framerate is enough of a selling point. They are releasing 8K TVs this year but there's still only a small segment of people that actually have 4K TVs let alone 8K!
Next gen will be 4k to 4k with better framerates and other enhancements. 8K tvs are shown but to release them at this point is useless as there are no 4K sources. It will be another 12-24 months before 4K even gets more mainstreamed source material. HDR formats are more interesting and viable than 4K versus 8K from a pure picture perspective.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1104 posts
287 upvotes
mrtvgame wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 10:25 am
Next gen will be 4k to 4k with better framerates and other enhancements. 8K tvs are shown but to release them at this point is useless as there are no 4K sources. It will be another 12-24 months before 4K even gets more mainstreamed source material. HDR formats are more interesting and viable than 4K versus 8K from a pure picture perspective.
Actually the purpose of showing off the 8K TVs at CES to show that there is an image improvement even when upscaling 4K to 8K.

Latest news is that Xbox actually outsold the PS4 in the month of December. I guess those 3 million people playing PUBG on the Xbox really helped push those sales! Ironically it was Playstation without any exclusives this holiday season!

I'm on my way to pick up AC: Origins. Hopefully it's all it's cracked up to be.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2007
1198 posts
185 upvotes
GVRD
Bryson wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 10:38 am
Actually the purpose of showing off the 8K TVs at CES to show that there is an image improvement even when upscaling 4K to 8K.

Latest news is that Xbox actually outsold the PS4 in the month of December. I guess those 3 million people playing PUBG on the Xbox really helped push those sales! Ironically it was Playstation without any exclusives this holiday season!

I'm on my way to pick up AC: Origins. Hopefully it's all it's cracked up to be.
AC: Origins is fantastic. Make sure you log in to youy ubisoft account, there will be some free goodies based on past ubisoft games you've played
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
15323 posts
3714 upvotes
I could see new consoles coming out for the 2020 Olympics year. Now they have shown 8K TV sets at CES, I guess that is what they will be shooting for...