• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2018 11:23 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
14614 posts
3220 upvotes
I could see new consoles coming out for the 2020 Olympics year. Now they have shown 8K TV sets at CES, I guess that is what they will be shooting for...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5072 posts
1912 upvotes
chenwaa123 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 1:04 pm
AC: Origins is fantastic. Make sure you log in to youy ubisoft account, there will be some free goodies based on past ubisoft games you've played
Man, now I wish I didn't trade it in.
Aug 20, 2009
6207 posts
924 upvotes
Grimsby
6 would be fine. I mean its pretty much whatever age you are comfortable with them using an expensive electronic device. Just sensibly limit their time so they don't become little gadget addicts and enable the parental controls so they can only play stuff like Mario.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4929 posts
681 upvotes
calgary
BritishColumbian wrote:
Jan 14th, 2018 7:24 pm
What is the youngest age you think would be suitable for a Nintendo Switch?
I have a swtich with a 5 year old and a 8 year old. Both play it, the 4 year old likes Tetris and Mario and the older is obsessed with anything Nintendo puts out but specifically Zelda and Mario. Neither of them are necessarily too young for the device however I don't thing I would have got one if I didn't want it either. I think if your buying it specifically for your kid probably 7 to 9 years old is an appropriate age to buy something like this.

Honestly though I would recommend a 2DSXL before a switch for a young kid. Those are cheaper, practically indestructible and there is a good variety of games for kids.

Having said that I think a 2DSXL is a much better console
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
2263 posts
278 upvotes
Ajax
Bryson wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 10:38 am
Actually the purpose of showing off the 8K TVs at CES to show that there is an image improvement even when upscaling 4K to 8K.

Latest news is that Xbox actually outsold the PS4 in the month of December. I guess those 3 million people playing PUBG on the Xbox really helped push those sales! Ironically it was Playstation without any exclusives this holiday season!

I'm on my way to pick up AC: Origins. Hopefully it's all it's cracked up to be.
Yes, there's image improvement but when there are zero sources for 8K content, it does not make much sense to show it off. It took years for everyone to catch up to 1080p and 4K is slowly rolling out. The problem with these higher bit rates and signals is that regular cable boxes and streaming services just can't keep up to deliver the true 4K HDR and Dolby Vision. Physical media trumps here. I have no problem buying physical media either.

The whole 4K HDR thing made me upgrade my media room to 4K HDR specs. Finally fired up some Xbox One X games enhanced and was blown away. Gaming on a 115 inch screen projecting from JVX X770 projector.

All sources look and operate well except...PS4 PRO. For some dumb reason I have not figured out yet, the PS4 will not go through the Denon X4400 receiver with all capabilities enabled. I have to dumb down the bit rate for PS4 Pro to work. Sony blames Denon and Denon blames Sony. I will side with Denon as every other source works without any issues.
Aug 20, 2009
6207 posts
924 upvotes
Grimsby
Out of curiosity, what specifically is the issue? I have a Denon X1300W and a PS4 Pro working without issue now, though I had similar thing that turned out to be the cable.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4929 posts
681 upvotes
calgary
I can't imagine what 8K would realistically add compared to 4K given diminishing returns.

Then again I didn't think 4K would add much if anything until I spent a bunch of time playing/watching 4K content and now even 1080P looks a bit rough.
We are a ways away from 8K anyways, even if they get the displays to market it'll be a very long time till the content catchs up to that.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6254 posts
1440 upvotes
The Nintendo Switch has become the fastest selling home gaming system ever in Canada.
This is just a week after the announcement that the Switch also set a new record as the fastest selling console in the USA as well.

http://nintendoeverything.com/switch-be ... in-canada/

And back in 2012, some analysts were saying consoles were dying due to smartphones...partly because the Wii U's launch year sales were unremarkable
to say the least.

Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6254 posts
1440 upvotes
Reading some of the threads on ResetEra while taking some time to re-organize some movies and games on my bookshelves:

This topic came up:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/my-nep ... ase.17650/

A minor aspect overall but still a marketing and product presentation design oversight by Microsoft and Nintendo:
it really is much easier to find a specific PS4 game by just looking at the spines of the packaging than it is with the other consoles.

Microsoft sticks with the green cases which is smart for brand identity consistency.
For some reason, XBox One games made sure that every case cover and spine is printed on a dull grey colour that looks boring and uniform.
XB1 cases are also feel cheaply made, and to be unique I suppose, all the disks are mounted on the left side when the case is opened.

Nintendo Switch games use the same font style on the spines of their games, which also makes it harder for each title to stand out from the rest when retrieving them off a shelf.
Nintendo went with white cases with the Nintendo Wii.
Turquoise Blue cases and white spines with the Nintendo Wii U.
Thenback to the company's classic red and white Nintendo colours for the Nintendo Switch.

Sony went with smarter sense of freedom of design, and better use of colour overall to make it stand out more.

Last edited by XFactor11 on Jan 20th, 2018 10:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6254 posts
1440 upvotes
In only 10 months, worldwide Nintendo Switch sales are estimated to be over 14.6 million and have already surpassed the Wii U's lifetime sales by over a million units.
By comparison took the Wii U took 5 years to reach 13.6 million units sold before it was discontinued from manufacturing.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/analys ... dec.17824/

Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6254 posts
1440 upvotes
God of War (PS4) confirmed for a April 20th release date in the new trailer:

Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6254 posts
1440 upvotes
XBox Game Pass subscription will now have all upcoming XBox First Party Exclusive games on it at their respective launch dates.
Pretty good deal if you are interested in playing the XBox exclusives.

Now there's a reason to be subscribed year round although it may make the XBox Games with Gold offerings worse.
Gutsy move because it may significantly lower the potential sales of these games at retail that I might have bought before the program was added.