• Feb 14th, 2018 11:23 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4929 posts
681 upvotes
calgary
Sea of Thieves is having a closed beta starting today through sunday, you either need a preorder or to have been an existing alpha tester to get into it.
The best part about it is there is no NDA. I'll be playing over the weekend but apparently its a scaled back version of what was already in the alpha.

Crazy enough, It's currently the #1 watched game on Twitch right now beating out PubG, Fortnight, and LoL.
Aug 20, 2009
6207 posts
924 upvotes
Grimsby
I'm finally almost done with Super Mario Odyssey, what a great game. Just totally manages to put a smile on your face constantly and the environment/gameplay variety is inexplicably both simple yet deep. Really had a wonderful experience with it. The Switch in general is really hitting it out of the park this gen, I find myself spending more and more time with it.

I think next I will spend more time with Persona 5 which I hear is amazing.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5072 posts
1912 upvotes
I picked up Firewatch for $10 and just finished it today. Really great game if you like story driven dialog.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4929 posts
681 upvotes
calgary
9394 wrote:
Jan 25th, 2018 12:35 am
I picked up Firewatch for $10 and just finished it today. Really great game if you like story driven dialog.
Yeah I enjoyed firewatch quite a bit, a nice bit of exploration and storytelling, though the ending was a little bit of a letdown.

I like these bite size indie games that you can beat in an evening or two.

Check out Gone Home too if you haven't tried it yet, it was free on GWG a few months ago so you may already have it but it takes maybe an hour to beat and its quite an enjoyable expeirence with a very cool story to tell.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6254 posts
1440 upvotes
Already two game of the year contenders released on the same day in January:

Monster Hunter World has a 91 opencritic and metacritic review average after 43+ reviews:
http://opencritic.com/game/4903/monster-hunter-world
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... nter-world

Dragon Ball FighterZ has an 87 review average on OpenCritic after 39 reviews, 88 metacritic review average after 24 reviews:
http://opencritic.com/game/5273/dragon-ball-fighterz
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... l-fighterz

Aug 20, 2009
6207 posts
924 upvotes
Grimsby
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Jan 25th, 2018 10:06 am
Yeah I enjoyed firewatch quite a bit, a nice bit of exploration and storytelling, though the ending was a little bit of a letdown.

I like these bite size indie games that you can beat in an evening or two.

Check out Gone Home too if you haven't tried it yet, it was free on GWG a few months ago so you may already have it but it takes maybe an hour to beat and its quite an enjoyable expeirence with a very cool story to tell.
Haha ok, I'm gonna be That Guy but I didn't like either of those. I think its great that companies are trying to do more of the old school LucasArts style games, I guess I just bounced off these. I will at least list some reasons though.

Gone Home was a simplistic pixel hunt that presents itself as something way more intriguing than it actually is. I feel like the critics got all caught up in the clumsy social messaging and ignored the fact that there is really nothing to it. All you have is a very simple story told in a convoluted way and it didn't really resonate with me. The haunted house style opening was far more interesting and it's a shame they went in a different direction.

Fire Watch at least had some appealing aspects but never really finds its identity. There is some semblance of an attempt at actual gameplay. It never really succeeds at that but at least it tries to be a more interactive story than GH. Unfortunately the writing is fanfic level bad nearly from the beginning, culminating in what has to be one of the worst endings in videogame history. I actually started laughing out loud when I beat it. The game also featured a very tedious amount of backtracking to pad out what was already a very short experience. I will say that I did enjoy some of the banter and dialogue though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against short, interactive story titles. I just think to do that right you need quality writers or at least a very interesting concept. Telltale is a company that tends to do that stuff very well for example. Tales from the Borderlands is a game I did not expect to like but it is very amusing and self-aware.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5526 posts
1805 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
Jan 26th, 2018 10:02 am
Haha ok, I'm gonna be That Guy but I didn't like either of those. I think its great that companies are trying to do more of the old school LucasArts style games, I guess I just bounced off these. I will at least list some reasons though.

Gone Home was a simplistic pixel hunt that presents itself as something way more intriguing than it actually is. I feel like the critics got all caught up in the clumsy social messaging and ignored the fact that there is really nothing to it. All you have is a very simple story told in a convoluted way and it didn't really resonate with me. The haunted house style opening was far more interesting and it's a shame they went in a different direction.
I agree with everything you're saying about Gone Home but i still enjoyed it anyways if only because it was different from everything I was playing at the time and not a major time investment. If it was longer or dragged I'd maybe have an issue with it, but I felt it was worth checking out and didn't regret it.
I haven't played Firewatch yet but I do enjoy that "walking simulator" genre and I thought Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Stanley Parable and Beginners Guide were pretty cool and I'm playing SOMA now which is awesome.
Tales from The Borderlands was great too but I consider that Teltale style of adventure game its own genre. Some other outside of the box story adventure games I'd recommend are Her Story, Papers Please and Stick It To The Man
Aug 20, 2009
6207 posts
924 upvotes
Grimsby
ReeGee wrote:
Jan 26th, 2018 10:28 am
I agree with everything you're saying about Gone Home but i still enjoyed it anyways if only because it was different from everything I was playing at the time and not a major time investment. If it was longer or dragged I'd maybe have an issue with it, but I felt it was worth checking out and didn't regret it.
I haven't played Firewatch yet but I do enjoy that "walking simulator" genre and I thought Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Stanley Parable and Beginners Guide were pretty cool and I'm playing SOMA now which is awesome.
Tales from The Borderlands was great too but I consider that Teltale style of adventure game its own genre. Some other outside of the box story adventure games I'd recommend are Her Story, Papers Please and Stick It To The Man
Yeah I'm not against the subgenre or something, I really enjoyed Ethan Carter, Papers Please and The Stanley Parable. I'll check out SOMA sometime, thanks for the heads up.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4929 posts
681 upvotes
calgary
Both of those "games" are basically just the equivalent of a scavenger hunt with the reward at each juncture a bit more storytelling which I really enjoyed.

I enjoyed Gone Home's story but I agree with your complaint that it presents itself as something way more intriguing than it actually is (I actually feel like that was my biggest complaint with Firewatch too).

I kept expecting it to take a turn or something and be a story about demonic rituals or something else but without spoiling it was absolutely like that at all in the end.

Firewatch did the exact same thing, it strongly hinted at something paranormal or something and in the end it was just this basic story and than you just kid of leave.

I actually think the big difference is Gone home took less than an hour to beat and Firewatch took like 4 hours to beat.
May 9, 2007
944 posts
248 upvotes
Redmask wrote:
Jan 24th, 2018 1:25 pm
I'm finally almost done with Super Mario Odyssey, what a great game. Just totally manages to put a smile on your face constantly and the environment/gameplay variety is inexplicably both simple yet deep. Really had a wonderful experience with it. The Switch in general is really hitting it out of the park this gen, I find myself spending more and more time with it.

I think next I will spend more time with Persona 5 which I hear is amazing.
Just something about nintendo games that always puts me in a good mood. Curious to see what you think of Persona 5. It's a great game but admittedly I haven't gotten very far yet.
Redmask wrote:
Jan 26th, 2018 10:33 am
Yeah I'm not against the subgenre or something, I really enjoyed Ethan Carter, Papers Please and The Stanley Parable. I'll check out SOMA sometime, thanks for the heads up.
Soma is a must play imo. Firewatch was ok. I liked what I played. The story was interesting enough to keep going even if the payoff wasn't there at the end.

What Remains of Edith Finch is another over-hyped walking simulator. Depends on how much you enjoy this genre. I couldn't stand Gone Home. Currently playing through Last Day of June and although it might be a walking simulator it seems like it has potential. Might have to pull out a box of tissues for this one though.

Played through a game called Late Shift. Pretty interesting for what is essentially an interactive live action movie.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6254 posts
1440 upvotes
Shadow of the Colossus: Remaking a Masterpiece

Regular PS4s will run The Shadow of the Colossus Remake at 1080p 30 frames per second (supports High Dynamic Range)

PS4 Pro modes:

1080p locked 60 frames per second option on PS4 Pro only.
Checkerboard rendering to 4K output and HDR on PS4 Pro in the cinematic mode (30 frames per second).

Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2062 posts
203 upvotes
Am I the only one that thinks releasing the same game in three separate console generations is really lame, no matter how good the remake?
Aug 20, 2009
6207 posts
924 upvotes
Grimsby
It's milking the cow pretty hard for sure.

Joke answer - otherwise people would have to wait 12 years for their next game.
May 9, 2007
944 posts
248 upvotes
Nostalgia is a hard seller for sure but regardless since when is having options a bad thing? if you don't like it don't buy it.

Bluepoint are just the gods of remasters/remakes. One of the biggest mistakes in recent gaming history is not having Bluepoint work on the Silent Hill HD collection. Thing could have turned out so differently for that series after all the praise that Bluepoint got for their work on The God of War and MGS HD collections.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5526 posts
1805 upvotes
Toronto
There are probably a lot of new to Playstation PS4 owners who have never heard of or played the past releases so it's a good for people like that to have a chance to play it. Personally having played the PS3 release already I have no desire to play it again and especially not for $50