None
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5842 posts
1998 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Jan 29th, 2018 3:14 pm
I skipped SOTC on PS3 which was locked to 30fps because playing on PC via emulator at FULL HD 60fps was jaw dropping.
Smh i didn't even know that was an option and needed stuff to play on PS3 back then anyways. If this remake is that big of an improvement I might check it out in a year or two when it's $5-10 but definitely not in any rush to play it again.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5012 posts
705 upvotes
calgary
I never played SOTC (or any team ICO games for that matter) so this is exciting.

I'm 100% okay with a full on re-make, this is much better than some of those re-masters we got early gen, wish more companies *cough* nintendo *cough* would do stuff like this.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2090 posts
213 upvotes
There is zero chance they're going to buy EA. The investors of both companies would throw shit fits. Like, march the board into the public square and execute them with a hatchet shit fits. EA's worth would be cut off at the knees the second the purchase went through and all their major licenses would come up into serious contention.

Like wise, purchasing Valve makes no sense. The company isn't public, Gabe Newell has made no secret of how much he detests Microsoft and Windows in their current form, and their principal business is a direct competitor to MS console division.

That is some impressively shit reporting.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5842 posts
1998 upvotes
Toronto
Ascott wrote:
Jan 29th, 2018 7:58 pm
That is some impressively shit reporting.
What the hell is "Gamingbolt" anyways and who uses this website? I don't see a peep about this on any credible source so probably best no one here clicks and gives that site traffic. I'll comment on the rumor and apologize for doubting this source if/when this is confirmed by other sources but I'm guessing that never happens
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5145 posts
1958 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Jan 29th, 2018 8:27 pm
What the hell is "Gamingbolt" anyways and who uses this website? I don't see a peep about this on any credible source so probably best no one here clicks and gives that site traffic. I'll comment on the rumor and apologize for doubting this source if/when this is confirmed by other sources but I'm guessing that never happens
Why the hate? Like I said, it's a rumour, the original Polygon article here: https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/29/16930 ... -microsoft
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2090 posts
213 upvotes
They're sourcing a Polygon article that says they have a source close to Microsoft.

"My uncle works at Nintendo!"
Aug 20, 2009
6397 posts
1049 upvotes
Grimsby
Microsoft buying Valve is pretty far fetched. Gabe used to work there a long time ago and hated the culture so he quit and started his own thing. Valve would not function at all even as a satellite Microsoft company, their workplace models are anathema to each other. Valve is also privately owned so Microsoft can't just acquire them in the first place. Gabe has spent the past five years loathing Microsoft for its store plans and going so far as to make its own hardware in case Microsoft pushed too far. Why would they even buy Valve? It has a lot of IP but much of it isn't hugely popular with the Xbox crowd these days and arguably some of it is slipping beyond younger gens altogether. Steam is a lucrative platform but that doesn't help Xbox, they are in direct competition in many respects.

This kind of stuff is what gets Microsoft into trouble in the first place. You can't buy your way out of every problem. Their first party conundrum is solved by making long term investments in studios and sticking with them, letting them be creative and not shuttering them at the first sign of trouble. That's what Sony and Nintendo have done, along with making strategic partnerships that again, can't just be abandoned at the first sign of a problem. Buying PUBG is not a long term fix, its a bandaid. Microsoft buying EA is frankly the stuff of nightmares, I'm not sure I want to even imagine what kind of hardcore revenue tool nonsense emerges from that.

How about restaffing their own Microsoft Game Studios and making games again? Microsoft used to make good games, they could try...doing that again! Crazy thought, I know.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1058 posts
270 upvotes
Microsoft gonna do what Microsoft gonna do which is moneyhat everything. Oh well at least if Microsoft bought Valve you know we'd be getting Half-life 3...and 4 and 5...cuz they would milk that franchise for all it's worth lol.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5842 posts
1998 upvotes
Toronto
9394 wrote:
Jan 29th, 2018 9:09 pm
Why the hate? Like I said, it's a rumour, the original Polygon article here: https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/29/16930 ... -microsoft
not really hating just tired of seeing random websites spreading click bait rumors and this is just one of the most absurd low effort ones I've heard in a while. MS buying Valve lol Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5012 posts
705 upvotes
calgary
Yeah that rumor is just a throwaway line in a polygon article. Im sure it's been discussed at some level but immediately shot down because it makes zero sense, did y'all know that in the early days of Xbox Microsoft made a push to buy Nintendo? Think about all the licensing deals that EA that probably is hinging on those things being multi platform (Fifa, NFL, Star Wars). The only way this makes a lick of sense is if they are doing it to expand the value of GamePass by adding EA games and maybe planning to use EA to push the WIndows Store and cross play (lol at the outrage that would generate) but then when you think about the price tag for a company like EA that doesn't make sense either.

Anyways I might be the only one riding this bandwagon here but did anyone happen to check out the Sea of Thieves beta this weekend? It was a closed beta but access was granted to those with a pre-order as well as anyone who was registered for the insider program. Also apparently a bunch of streamers and media people as well.
I spend a significant amount of time with it over the weekend and the game is shaping up to be really really good. I spent a bunch of time mixing it up between a 4 man ship and a 1/2 man ship, its the first time I experienced the latter and it was actually quite enjoyable to sail around on my own.

I knew it was going to be good fun but this game could potentially be quite huge.
The game has kind of blown up since the NDA was dropped and people have been able to see and play it themselves. It's been #1 at some point on Twitch everyday since the beta released, its completely sold out at amazon and is pulling huge numbers on google trends.
Sea of Thieves is shaping up to be 2018's PUBG
Aug 20, 2009
6397 posts
1049 upvotes
Grimsby
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 10:19 am
Anyways I might be the only one riding this bandwagon here but did anyone happen to check out the Sea of Thieves beta this weekend?
I watched some people goof off on some streams and still wasn't impressed. The game seems devoid of meaningful content, leaning heavily on "emergent" PvP gameplay which I don't think will hold peoples attention for long given how limited the combat and general depth seems to be. To be fair though this game has never really grabbed me but plenty of others seemed to be enjoying it. I might check it out if I decide to sub to Gamepass sometime but I doubt it, I'm one of those weirdos who actually likes owning stuff.
Hyped. Although Monster Hunter World is also really good and I'm currently getting into that.
Yeah I think I will pick up MH: World soon, just debating on which system to pick it up. Leaning PS4 Pro just due to more experienced players who are used to the franchise.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5012 posts
705 upvotes
calgary
Redmask wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 10:44 am
I watched some people goof off on some streams and still wasn't impressed. The game seems devoid of meaningful content, leaning heavily on "emergent" PvP gameplay which I don't think will hold peoples attention for long given how limited the combat and general depth seems to be. To be fair though this game has never really grabbed me but plenty of others seemed to be enjoying it. I might check it out if I decide to sub to Gamepass sometime but I doubt it, I'm one of those weirdos who actually likes owning stuff.
They held back a ton of stuff for this beta, even the last alpha test had a lot more variety in mission types and other quest givers and someone datamined the game and found a whole bunch of other stuff... all though to be fair this game isn't for everyone, I don't think it has any story to speak of and you are kind of forced to make your own fun (which isn't overly difficult given all the ridiculous mechanics) but I can't see it being for everyone.

I really get vibes of playing World of Warcraft back in the day, specifically booty bay where its kind of a wild west of players doing there own quests and you are too and you sort of see someone but you don't know if they are going to be friendly or not except unlike WoW there is actually some incentive to getting into combat because you can steel other players treasure.

Its just a totally new and unique experience.
I've been jumping between this and PUBG and to me these are two of the most exciting and freshest multiplayer games I've played in years.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)