• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2018 11:23 am
Tags:
None
Aug 20, 2009
6207 posts
924 upvotes
Grimsby
To be honest that article doesn't make me feel any better. It's more clickbait and interview slices strung together to make a vague narrative. I can't imagine you're too happy with it Spicy. For example, they basically try to insinuate that Microsoft might be in the process of giving up on exclusives:
As head of games Phil Spencer told The Guardian last year, he’s interested in investing in games-as-service innovations. “Say there’s 10 people in a garage that have an idea for a service-based game. What does it mean for them to build up the infrastructure to go and create that game? How can we help them?”

In a call with investors in October, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella said he is “fundamentally rethinking how we measure progress in gaming,” suggesting a move away from console domination as a goal in and of itself.

Ultimately, the company may decide to forgo big exclusives in favor of other initiatives, like the expansion of on-demand subscription service Xbox Game Pass, which will now include exclusive games at launch. It may be that the expense and intensity of exclusives — which often demand five years of heavy investment — is deemed an expense too far.
If they do that then Xbox is really in trouble IMO but it sounds like nonsense.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4929 posts
681 upvotes
calgary
Redmask wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 2:23 pm
To be honest that article doesn't make me feel any better. It's more clickbait and interview slices strung together to make a vague narrative. I can't imagine you're too happy with it Spicy. For example, they basically try to insinuate that Microsoft might be in the process of giving up on exclusives:

If they do that then Xbox is really in trouble IMO but it sounds like nonsense.
No it's dumb clickbaity series of articles, I like a lot of what Polygon puts out but this is really dumb.

In the first article titled "The Xbox has a serious exclusive games problem" which is a clickbait title in itself they basically talk about all these potential huge acquisitions than a second article saying what that is a bad idea. Of course acquiring EA is a bad idea and it makes zero sense given the trajectory that MS is on. Its an article that I'd expect to see on some fanboy site not on Polygon.

If they want to talk about acquisitions they don't even mention any that make sense. Well I don't agree with buying a bunch of studios if your going to start that conversation at least start it with some bigger independent studios studios that make sense like Remedy, Playground, Obsidian or CDPR or even one of the many smaller independent studios..

I also don't think Microsoft can just buy its way out of the situation overnight, game development is a lengthy process invest the money now in different games with different studios (you don't need to own) and see what sticks. I think if gamepass sticks, it will allow them to be a bit more risky with what they do. They have the better console right now with the better services they just need the games to compete and I think they are aware of that.

Honestly I think this will be a good year for Microsoft games, PUBG continues to grow on that console with no playstation release in site and I really think Sea of Thieves will be a big hit for them when all is said and done. State of Decay 2 has a ton of potential and we will get Ori and likely a new Halo and Forza by the end of the year.

However Sony has Spiderman which I think has the potential to out shine anything that Microsoft does.
Aug 20, 2009
6207 posts
924 upvotes
Grimsby
Honestly I think this will be a good year for Microsoft games, PUBG continues to grow on that console with no playstation release in site and I really think Sea of Thieves will be a big hit for them when all is said and done. State of Decay 2 has a ton of potential and we will get Ori and likely a new Halo and Forza by the end of the year.
I don't know, I'm not super optimistic about this year but to be fair I'm sort of a jaded old gamer. Crackdown 3 is a writeoff for me and I don't care for Sea of Thieves. The other games have no firm dates and frankly I'm nearing franchise fatigue with Forza and Halo 5 was a letdown. Meanwhile Sony and Nintendo are dropping multiple, high caliber exclusives, year after year. I think my preorder list for the PS4 alone is like 4-5 games this year. I think the only Xbox preorder I have firm is State of Decay 2 but that's pretty niche.

I think this is more of a "rebuilding" year for Xbox but I guess we'll see what E3 brings. I agree that there is no quick solution to their problem, they just need to stay consistent with their partners and stop running away any time there is a problem or something doesn't move Halo numbers. Long term investments are key, what they did to PlatinumGames, Lionhead and etc should be a last resort and avoided at all costs.

Anyways it's my own fault for getting the X when I knew this was going to be an issue. Hopefully I can pickup RDR2 or something on it this year, I hope that doesn't get pushed back to 2019.
Aug 20, 2009
6207 posts
924 upvotes
Grimsby
It's official, Anthem got pushed back to 2019. Apparently they didn't want its release to conflict with whatever new Battlefield game is dropping this year, I think its strongly hinted to be BC3. I saw it this morning on WSJ and Polygon, no link handy atm on my phone.
May 9, 2007
944 posts
248 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 12:35 am
not really hating just tired of seeing random websites spreading click bait rumors and this is just one of the most absurd low effort ones I've heard in a while. MS buying Valve lol Face With Tears Of Joy
Regardless of what you think of the "rumor", this news is currently setting the internet on fire. It's big enough news that it's affect the stock prices of the companies in question so no this is not just a clickbait article from gamingbolt. Is it likely to happen? No, billion dollar companies don't usually get bought out every other day.

Buying valve actually makes a ton of sense. Microsoft wants to own the PC market. Buying the premier PC gaming distribution network would further their PC dominance especially when compared to their disastrous Windows store.

MS currently has ~135 Billlion dollars to play with. There's a ton of stuff they can do with that money. It would cost approximately 50 Billion dollars to acquire EA.. Those IPs alone would put MS right back into contention as a powerhouse right alongside Sony. Unfortunately EA is bad value because their earnings revolve around microtransactions. Plus making those IPs exclusive would cut their profit in half from the lack of sales from playstation. It also would not take long for MS to completely devalue these IPs. MS has not been kind to their developers. MS forced Lionhead Studios to make a Kinect game eventually leading to their closure. Rare is a shell of it's former self again being forced to make Kinect games. MS tried to force Bungie to make another Halo games not allowing them to make Destiny forcing them to leave and Destiny going on to be one of the most successful online games. Compare that to the relationship Sony has with Naughty Dog and Guerrilla Games and it's night and day. MS should have had Destiny and Bungie in it's back pocket.

So I don't understand how MS is eager to spend 50 Billion to acquire EA but was too cheap to allow Platinum games to finish ScaleBound to the point that MS is the butt of the internet jokes because they have no games. Doesn't make any sense. I friggin loathe Phil Spencer. What a buffoon! MS spent 2.5B to acquire Minecraft. Could have had it cheaper too if they had bought it earlier.

Other news is MS wanting to buy Epic Games. Having both Pubg and Fortnite, the two biggest online games on their platform would be huge. Could eventually get Epc Games to make another Gears game. Unfortunately MS need to control everything really hurts their relationships with developers.

And lastly with AMD having financial struggles Microsoft showed interest in acquiring them with their SOC chips being the driving force behind the xbox and ps4 consoles. Having AMD go out of business would be the most disastrous thing that could happen to the tech industry with Intel having sole reign of the industry. If you think PC prices are bad now? Just you wait. So ya having 135 Billion in cash to play with a lot of money. Interesting to see what MS does with it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5526 posts
1805 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 1:02 pm
Regardless of what you think of the "rumor", this news is currently setting the internet on fire. It's big enough news that it's affect the stock prices of the companies in question so no this is not just a clickbait article from gamingbolt. Is it likely to happen? No, billion dollar companies don't usually get bought out every other day.
I have no idea about this rumor "setting the internet on fire" because I've literally not seen it mentioned once on any other websites I frequent for gaming discussion, mainly Reddit and Twitter. Either way, my general interest level in stuff like company acquisitions and other business topics falls right next to my interest level in sales charts and metacritic scores lol. I'm mostly just here to talk about actual video games.
May 9, 2007
944 posts
248 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 1:41 pm
I have no idea about this rumor "setting the internet on fire" because I've literally not seen it mentioned once on any other websites I frequent for gaming discussion, mainly Reddit and Twitter. Either way, my general interest level in stuff like company acquisitions and other business topics falls right next to my interest level in sales charts and metacritic scores lol. I'm mostly just here to talk about actual video games.
That is understandable. By setting the internet on fire i mean there is a nearly 100 page thread in only two days over on Resetera discussing this, quick google search shows a 1000 comment thread on Reddit and every gaming outlet on youtube I frequent has talked about this. So yea this is more than just a clickbaity article. Everybody knows MS needs games and as the saying goes, where there's smoke there's fire.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4929 posts
681 upvotes
calgary
Bryson wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 2:24 pm
That is understandable. By setting the internet on fire i mean there is a nearly 100 page thread in only two days over on Resetera discussing this, quick google search shows a 1000 comment thread on Reddit and every gaming outlet on youtube I frequent has talked about this. So yea this is more than just a clickbaity article. Everybody knows MS needs games and as the saying goes, where there's smoke there's fire.
Reading the articles though, it doesn't appear like there is any smoke, its just a bunch of shallow, random, non-sensible speculation.

Anyways it would be really funny if MS bought Valve, there would be some serious meltdowns.
Aug 20, 2009
6207 posts
924 upvotes
Grimsby
No, Microsoft buying Sony would be funny. Impossible due to antitrust stuff but funny. Microsoft buying Valve would be tragic lol. Microsoft does not have a good track record when it comes to acquisitions and after decades of mismanaging their PC gaming assets I can't see this situation improving at all.

Thankfully Valve pretty much owns PC gaming top to bottom so they have nothing to gain from a sale. Steam is a money making machine already.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4929 posts
681 upvotes
calgary
Redmask wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 2:55 pm
Microsoft buying Valve would be tragic lol.
This is why it would be funny. The reactions would be incredible to see.

Valve is practically PC gaming, Microsoft is just a major annoyance to PC gaming. People would lose thier minds.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
3313 posts
2 upvotes
STC
I got far cry 4 from kijiji for $10, fps game but similar to assassin's creed, like the game so much and I'll property buy far cry 5 after launch day.
May 9, 2007
944 posts
248 upvotes
Huge news on the Sony front. Kaz Hirai stepping down as CEO of Sony. He was a huge reason for the current astronomical success of the PS4 as well as dating back all the way with launching the PS2 and PS3. Along with Andrew House getting fired, this could be bad news. The new CEO being brought in to represent the investors is known as a headhunter and is being brought in to trim the fat. The other divisions in Sony outside of gaming are not doing very well. So how will this affect gamers? Well we know that Sony was not too pleased with how long it took to develop the new God of War. Under a stricter CEO the game might have been rushed out or not at all. Expect some changes. What does the future hold for Playstation? Only time will tell...
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2011
1024 posts
558 upvotes
Toronto and London
Bryson wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2018 10:55 am
Huge news on the Sony front. Kaz Hirai stepping down as CEO of Sony. He was a huge reason for the current astronomical success of the PS4 as well as dating back all the way with launching the PS2 and PS3. Along with Andrew House getting fired, this could be bad news. The new CEO being brought in to represent the investors is known as a headhunter and is being brought in to trim the fat. The other divisions in Sony outside of gaming are not doing very well. So how will this affect gamers? Well we know that Sony was not too pleased with how long it took to develop the new God of War. Under a stricter CEO the game might have been rushed out or not at all. Expect some changes. What does the future hold for Playstation? Only time will tell...
It is false regarding other Sony departments not doing well:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/sony-f ... st-4106903

For years many predicted Sony's demise and they have all failed, at least when it comes to their gaming division.

Also most of your post is baseless speculation and amounts to unsubstantiated fear mongering.

Kaz is still going to be part of Sony as a chairman. He vouched for the new CEO.
May 9, 2007
944 posts
248 upvotes
RiftOfChaos wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2018 2:02 pm
It is false regarding other Sony departments not doing well:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/sony-f ... st-4106903

For years many predicted Sony's demise and they have all failed, at least when it comes to their gaming division.

Also most of your post is baseless speculation and amounts to unsubstantiated dear mongering.

Kaz is still going to be part of Sony as a chairman. He vouched for the new CEO.
LMAO I'm not fear mongering man, I own PS4 Pro and love pretty much all of my exclusives. I'm just sharing information for the sake of discussion. From the very thread you posted:

"Wall Street observers say the stock movement is a sign of investor speculation that this changing of the guard might open the door to a sale of Sony’s entertainment assets. "

So yea as an outsider all you can do is "speculate." The rest of the thread is just pretty much people claiming how Jumanji saved Sony LOL. I think the take away here is even if the Movie division made money, I believe that investors feel that it's not making enough.

As for Kaz, I never said he was leaving the company, re-read my post my exact words were he was stepping down as CEO of Sony which is the truth. That also means that even if he is still there as a chairman he will have less pull and influence than before and we know that Playstation was his baby. It's how he came up through the company. Playstation did very well even before he was CEO. All I'm saying is that a new CEO might bring in new ideas and direction for the company. Obviously if the investors were happy with Kaz's results then he wouldn't be stepping down aka demoted. We saw it with EA when Andrew Wilson was named CEO and we know the end result for gamers when they started chasing the money.