Tags:
None
Aug 20, 2009
6529 posts
1192 upvotes
Grimsby
Bryson wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2018 10:55 am
Huge news on the Sony front. Kaz Hirai stepping down as CEO of Sony. He was a huge reason for the current astronomical success of the PS4 as well as dating back all the way with launching the PS2 and PS3. Along with Andrew House getting fired, this could be bad news. The new CEO being brought in to represent the investors is known as a headhunter and is being brought in to trim the fat. The other divisions in Sony outside of gaming are not doing very well. So how will this affect gamers? Well we know that Sony was not too pleased with how long it took to develop the new God of War. Under a stricter CEO the game might have been rushed out or not at all. Expect some changes. What does the future hold for Playstation? Only time will tell...
Andrew House wasn't fired, he was there for 27 years and decided to retire. Kaz handpicked and trained his successor so its probably business as usual. Sony as a company turned around most of their divisions by the way.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1093 posts
285 upvotes
RiftOfChaos wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2018 2:53 pm
While he was a huge part of their success, the new CEO also helped:

Yoshida is credited with helping turn around Sony’s finances throughout much of Hirai’s tenure, which began with a much-vaunted “One Sony” streamlining initiative.

Hirai hired Yoshida as Sony’s strategy chief early on, and the pair worked together to restructure the fractured corporation, steering it into the black after several years of losses. The company has cut back or sold off businesses like the VAIO PC division, focusing on areas of strength like PlayStation and components.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/2/16962 ... -kaz-hirai

Speculation is fine but it has to have merit.

We know the bread and butter for Sony is gaming and that is not going anywhere anytime soon, especially with how dominant ps4 is and how PSN plus has immensely grown:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/growth ... ent.20670/

The movie division was to fail years ago and they are somewhat turning it around. I wouldn't be surprised if they sold that part of the company like the thread I posted says however.

My issue with your post was the negative spin, i.e. you claiming this could be bad news. I just don't see this because Kaz will still have some sort of influence and no one individual is going to lead to Sony going backwards when it comes to gaming at least, especially if he was hand picked by Kaz. Like that one poster said in the thread, Kaz is now confident enough to step away from the CEO position and see the company grow even more going forward.
I think that you underappreciate and undervalue the impact that Kaz Hirai had as CEO of Sony. He was the man. He along with Andrew House and Jack Tretton made Playstation what it is today. All three were visionaries and very charismatic. Sony had been hemorrhaging money for over a decade. Kaz is known as the man who saved Sony the way that Steve Jobs saved Apple. He managed to increase Sony stock by 226% in a relatively short amount of time. He was the one who pushed to keep the film division so it's not surprising that he stepped down during the first year it recorded a profit. He probably felt he accomplished what he set out to do and felt like he was leaving the company in good hands.

In the short term, nothing should change. Playstation is printing money with PS+ subs the way that Microsoft did all of last gen so not surprising that Nintendo now wants a piece of the action too. If any changes come it will likely not be until PS5 when Yoshida will be in full control.
Aug 20, 2009
6529 posts
1192 upvotes
Grimsby
I think someone posted this before but just in case - New PS4 firmware 5.50 features. A bunch of quality of life improvements, supersampling and the ability to delete notifications (lol).
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6557 posts
1590 upvotes
Capcom cancels development of new IP: Knights of Aegis, lays off 50 people at Capcom Vancouver, but Dead Rising 5 is still in the works:

source:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/kotaku ... ame.21302/
https://kotaku.com/source-capcom-lays-o ... 1822738940

The Dead Rising series was ruined when Capcom Japan started outsourcing it to Western developers.
Knights of Aegis

1974, New York City. You are recruited into the Order of Aegis, an elite brotherhood of Mystic Knights sworn to protect and keep the peace between the mortal and supernatural realms.
When a powerful evil stirs in the darkness, you must master the ancient powers of the past in order to save humanity's future.

An Action Shooter with Elemental Magic Mastery
-Unlock an arsenal of modern weaponry and elemental spells. Become a master of the elements to defeat the most powerful creatures in the city.

A Detailed and Intriguing Campaign
-Uncover a poweful evil that is brewing in the darkness as you explore a rich narrative-driven world. Investigate crime scenes to piece together a case and bring the orchestrators to justice.

Guns & Magic Combat System
-Dual-wield elemental magic and modern guns and combine them to create a wide variety of powers to destroy your enemies, protect yourself from danger, and turn the enviroment to your advantage.

Classical Supernatural Creatures
-Battle renowned supernatural creatures like Werewolves, Angels, Goblins, and Demons. Identify their weaknesses to take them down, and prepare yourself to fight gargantuan monsters in your quest to vanquish evil from the world.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5028 posts
722 upvotes
calgary
I just started playing Mario Odyssey the last few weeks after putting Mario + Rabbids to bed (I can't say enough good things about that game either) and I gotta say this game is really quite amazing. My first impressions were good but not great, the first couple real meaty worlds I played were a bit meh (the mexican world and the forest world) but practically everything after that has been such a fun ride.

Mario 64 was one of my favorite games of all time and honestly this is as good if not better (though the former was far more innovative and mind blowing at the time).

The odyssey/travel aspect of it means they have an excuse to visit a ton of different types of worlds and they did such a good job of making each world interesting and giving a fun main "story" objective to aim for well running around the worlds collecting moons.

The introduction of capy meant they can introduce a ton of new game mechanics on the fly by simply using the cap to take over a different guy. As a result there are tons of fun and totally different platforming sections in this game that are all unique and that variety really helps keep this game fresh and fun through the course of the game.

This game is such a huge improvement over Mario Galaxy which I felt was totally overrated.

Its crazy to me that Nintendo put out this and Zelda in the same year, both games are so much better than anything else in their respective genre. I'd wager my switch has gotten much more use in its first year than my WiiU did in its lifetime.

As an aside I fear I've gotten far to used to playing games in 4k on the X, these Nintendo games are all feature of ton of distracting aliasing now. It never bothered me on the WiiU, in fact I was just stoked to get an HD Nintendo console. I played Mario Galaxy not too long ago on the WiiU and the jump from the Switch to some of these 4K games on the Xbox One X feels about the same as the jump from Wii to the Xbox 360. It would be amazing if Nintendo put a bit more effort into the hardware aspect of the console but that might be the sacrifice for portability (which IMO is a totally fair trade off because I use this in portable mode a lot).
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
28637 posts
2068 upvotes
Winnipeg
XFactor11 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 11:06 am
Capcom cancels development of new IP: Knights of Aegis, lays off 50 people at Capcom Vancouver, but Dead Rising 5 is still in the works:

source:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/kotaku ... ame.21302/
https://kotaku.com/source-capcom-lays-o ... 1822738940

The Dead Rising series was ruined when Capcom Japan started outsourcing it to Western developers.
well this must be the first time i hear outsourcing went the other way around.
Penalty Box
Aug 24, 2011
2071 posts
1201 upvotes
Toronto and London
Bryson wrote:
Feb 4th, 2018 9:20 am
I think that you underappreciate and undervalue the impact that Kaz Hirai had as CEO of Sony. He was the man. He along with Andrew House and Jack Tretton made Playstation what it is today. All three were visionaries and very charismatic. Sony had been hemorrhaging money for over a decade. Kaz is known as the man who saved Sony the way that Steve Jobs saved Apple. He managed to increase Sony stock by 226% in a relatively short amount of time. He was the one who pushed to keep the film division so it's not surprising that he stepped down during the first year it recorded a profit. He probably felt he accomplished what he set out to do and felt like he was leaving the company in good hands.

In the short term, nothing should change. Playstation is printing money with PS+ subs the way that Microsoft did all of last gen so not surprising that Nintendo now wants a piece of the action too. If any changes come it will likely not be until PS5 when Yoshida will be in full control.
At the same time, you are not giving credit to Kaz's team which included the new CEO. Kaz is not some monolithic entity that doesn't share his values, skills, etc with the rest of his team.

However you are right, time will tell and ps5 will be a good gauge.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5028 posts
722 upvotes
calgary
I can't speak to the rest of Sony but to me the success of the PS4 had far more to do with the people around Kaz (Shu Yoshida, Adam Boyes, Mark Cerny, Jack Tretton, Andrew House) and the disastrous Xbox launch than anything Kaz did.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1093 posts
285 upvotes
RiftOfChaos wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 10:38 am
At the same time, you are not giving credit to Kaz's team which included the new CEO. Kaz is not some monolithic entity that doesn't share his values, skills, etc with the rest of his team.

However you are right, time will tell and ps5 will be a good gauge.
I simply do not think that the people put in place are as good as the people they replaced. Does that mean that Sony will go bankrupt over night? No. Yoshida was in agreement with Kaz about the gaming division being profitable and interestingly he is a gamer himself, something that even Kaz was not.
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 11:14 am
I can't speak to the rest of Sony but to me the success of the PS4 had far more to do with the people around Kaz (Shu Yoshida, Adam Boyes, Mark Cerny, Jack Tretton, Andrew House) and the disastrous Xbox launch than anything Kaz did.
I agree with this. That is my point. That guys like Tretton and House are no longer there and who knows how much longer Cerny has it in him. I do not like that new guy Shawn Layden, he seems like kind of douche but hey I did not buy my PS4 to listen to these guys speak! I bought it to play games so as long as the games keep coming it's all good!

Xbox disastrous launch had a huge hand in Sony's success but let's not act like Sony just stood back and watched Xbox burn, they were master trolls and actually added fuel to the fire. They smelled blood and went in for the kill. How much Kaz had a part to play in this I do not know exactly.

Does anyone remember this? The fact that you can actually share your entire game library, subscriptions and xbox live gold with someone else is sooo much better than what Sony or even Steam offers but Xbox just sucks at the marketing and PR department.

Also let's not forget the best fake Twitter account ever created. 7 years later and the account is still active. That is some serious dedication:

Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1093 posts
285 upvotes
Ascott wrote:
Jan 29th, 2018 2:15 pm
Am I the only one that thinks releasing the same game in three separate console generations is really lame, no matter how good the remake?
Well the people have spoken! Shadow of the Colossus is the best selling game during it's launch week with Monster Hunter dropping down to 3rd place. It's also sold almost twice as many copies as the original did back in 2005! I'd say people are pretty happy with this "remake"

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/uk-sa ... 0-6456719/
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5028 posts
722 upvotes
calgary
Stolen from Reddit:

The Krakken from Sea Of Theives

Looks so dam cool

Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1093 posts
285 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote:
Feb 25th, 2018 12:42 am
Videogame Dunkey reviews Metal Gear Survive.
The first Metal Gear themed title made after Hideo Kojima was fired from Konami.

As expected it flopped with both critics and video game enthusiasts too:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... ive?ref=hp
It's pretty obvious that Metal Gear Survive is not a metal gear game. It's just a sorry attempt at a cash grab using the metal gear name. You can't have metal gear without hideo kojima.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5028 posts
722 upvotes
calgary
The Witcher 2, Crackdown, Fable Anniversary, and Forza Horizon all got 4K patchs today.

I must have received 3 of those for free at some point as I seem to have them all except Fable and I don't remember purchasing any of them.

I don't know about everyone else but I think these system level BC 4K patches are really awesome.