Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1104 posts
287 upvotes
Redmask wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 12:54 pm
I will try to check out the open beta with an open mind but based on everything I've seen, Sea of Thieves looks very shallow and forgettable. None of the systems seem to have any real depth. I think it will sell well simply due to lack of other exclusives on Xbox at the moment.

I'm more interested in what original IP they announce at E3. They really need to blow the doors off the barn this year. I don't care about Halo 6 or FH4, I really want to see at least 3 original IP.
Honestly Sea of Thieves just doesn't look very good from what I've seen. I am actually surprised that it was one of the most viewed games on Twitch. There's rumors of Twitch streamers getting paid to promote this game, who knows. Basically it's kind of a sandbox game that you can just go in, get drunk and have fun with your friends but that could be said about any game really. There's nothing special about this game that will make you have more fun with your friends unless you particularly enjoy being a pirate. Apparently how this game came to be is the devs created an engine with beautiful realistic water and thought what can we do with this technology so they decided to make a pirate game. It's not like they had the idea for a game and then created an engine for it if that makes sense.

I would settle for just one original IP from Microsoft at this point. Sea of Thieves is meh. State of Decay 2 just got a 50% price cut at launch which says the devs probably don't feel comfortable that the game is good enough to charge the standard full AAA price for it. I don't mind this though. I really enjoyed SOD1 and the price was right. Crackdown 3 remains more elusive than the Lochness, Sasquatch and Abominable Snowman combined.

I know that the X1X is an expensive piece of hardware but at this point I really don't mind my 1X being my go to for multiplats and my PS4 Pro for Sony exclusives. There are just not enough hours in a day to play every game anyways.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6136 posts
2229 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 12:54 pm
I don't care about Halo 6 or FH4, I really want to see at least 3 original IP.
I care about FH4...Disappointed But Relieved Face. And I only care about Halo 6 because it'd be the first Halo to come to PC since Halo 2 which would be exciting
Aug 20, 2009
6617 posts
1278 upvotes
Grimsby
For sure, I'm not saying those games don't have value or aren't fun. I just need Microsoft to restore some trust that they can actually build long term relationships with their partners and ship original games. I know Turn 10/343 can churn out good sequels until the cows come home but I need more output than that.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6620 posts
1614 upvotes
According to a Forbes contributor: Fortnite streamer God Ninja Is Making At Least $350,000 A Month From Twitch.tv subscribers.
Average viewership of 70 - 80k live stream watchers for over 8 hours a day.

He has over 100,000 subscribers to his Fortnite streaming channel.
By comparison, Pewdiepie is Youtube's most successful creator and he makes around $12 - $15 million a year when Youtube payouts were at their peak.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/twitch ... nth.28707/

shahram0 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 1:08 pm
Can someone give me the coles note on Fortnite? I tried playing it a couple of times on Xbox and just don't seem to feel the craze everyone has about the game.

I was with a squad, we jumped off the ship, and we ran around for a while. Found some stuff, then hung around some deserted building. I got shot from some random corner without knowing where it was coming from and game over. I felt like I spent more time waiting/running than anything. Is there more to this that I'm not doing / seeing?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6620 posts
1614 upvotes
9394 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 12:18 pm
The few times that I tried it, I didn't like it. It was with randoms and it felt really boring - sail the seas, find treasure, get back on the boat, sell the treasure, get back on the boat, find more treasure, etc...

I'm sure there's more to the game, but I going to be cancelling my PO - I see the price is back up to $79.

I have a very small window to game and PUBG has been taking up most of that time.
Same here. I tried the beta test for Sea of Thieves for a couple hours and highly disliked it.
If Sea of Thieves was not going to be a free game on XBox Gamepass then I think it would end up being a huge flop.

Sea of Thieves has some of the worst aesthetics for character designs I've seen in a game. Ranking right up there with Brink and Battleborn in
terms of bad or unappealing design.

Brink character designs:

Battleborn:

Sea of Thieves has an awful aesthetic IMO.
Would you want to play as characters that look like this?

Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2161 posts
240 upvotes
Sea of Thieves character designs aren't pretty, but I kinda' like the meshing of story book aesthetic with the ugly characters.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1104 posts
287 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote:
Mar 11th, 2018 1:25 am
Same here. I tried the beta test for Sea of Thieves for a couple hours and highly disliked it.
If Sea of Thieves was not going to be a free game on XBox Gamepass then I think it would end up being a huge flop.

Sea of Thieves has some of the worst aesthetics for character designs I've seen in a game. Ranking right up there with Brink and Battleborn in
terms of bad or unappealing design.
I really don't mind the Brink or Sea of Thieves aesthetic too much. The SoT characters are so ugly that it's just funny! The character design of Battleborn really bugged me though.

As for SoT, the game will definitely benefit from being included in gamepass. It's easy for Microsoft to say that all of their exclusives will be included in gamepass from now on when they have no exclusives lol.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5033 posts
730 upvotes
calgary
Sea of Thieves may be one of the most aesthetically pleasing games I've played but the character designs are ugly as sin.

I really dislike the character selection process, relying on RNG to hopefully get the one you want is stupid, I don't actually mind what they are trying to do but if you could filter the randomization down to even male/female or fat/skinny it would be so much better.

I ended up picking an old fat lady in this latest beta (sort of like a combo between pick 3 and 4) and then immediately threw a beard on her.
Aug 20, 2009
6617 posts
1278 upvotes
Grimsby
I had a chance to check Sea of Thieves out yesterday (finally) for myself. It wasn't "bad" or anything but it basically confirmed most of the early feedback I've read about the game:

- Didn't mind the aesthetic but hated the lack of real character customization, big missed opportunity here.
- Zero depth to the combat and overall mechanics. Ship to ship had potential but even that is too limiting with the small crew sizes. The game needs more roles and larger crews due to the lack of other progression systems. Also 2 ships?! In a sailing game?! *2* ships? Insane.
- No real progression or reason to play it after 2-3 hours. You can't upgrade or do any significant customization. This works in other games because they have a lot of depth to the mechanics to make up for it.
- Lack of both quest and enemy variety. I doubt they are holding anything significant back, this feels like NMS all over again. The islands I saw were incredibly boring and repetitive
- Sailing itself was neat at first but even that gets boring and takes too long without much to do during downtime
- Relies on "emergent gameplay" for fun, meaning you just sail around hoping you run into other players which gets old fast due to no real progression and depth to...anything you do while encountering them

On the plus side I thought the characters were amusing and the sea itself was really well done, I didn't expect to feel so immersed given the games cartoon motif.

I had a few laughs but ultimately I had seen everything I wanted to see after less than 3 hours and was ready to move on. Much like No Man's Sky, this is somehow launching for $60 when it feels like a $20 indie title. It needs another 1-2 years worth of content/polish before I'd even consider it. I can't believe this is an Xbox tentpole for 2018, they better have some serious stuff at E3.

I highly recommend people just GamePass it for a month and then cancel because you will be done with it long before then.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5033 posts
730 upvotes
calgary
Redmask wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 8:22 pm
I had a chance to check Sea of Thieves out yesterday (finally) for myself. It wasn't "bad" or anything but it basically confirmed most of the early feedback I've read about the game:

- Didn't mind the aesthetic but hated the lack of real character customization, big missed opportunity here.
- Zero depth to the combat and overall mechanics. Ship to ship had potential but even that is too limiting with the small crew sizes. The game needs more roles and larger crews due to the lack of other progression systems. Also 2 ships?! In a sailing game?! *2* ships? Insane.
- No real progression or reason to play it after 2-3 hours. You can't upgrade or do any significant customization. This works in other games because they have a lot of depth to the mechanics to make up for it.
- Lack of both quest and enemy variety. I doubt they are holding anything significant back, this feels like NMS all over again. The islands I saw were incredibly boring and repetitive
- Sailing itself was neat at first but even that gets boring and takes too long without much to do during downtime
- Relies on "emergent gameplay" for fun, meaning you just sail around hoping you run into other players which gets old fast due to no real progression and depth to...anything you do while encountering them

On the plus side I thought the characters were amusing and the sea itself was really well done, I didn't expect to feel so immersed given the games cartoon motif.

I had a few laughs but ultimately I had seen everything I wanted to see after less than 3 hours and was ready to move on. Much like No Man's Sky, this is somehow launching for $60 when it feels like a $20 indie title. It needs another 1-2 years worth of content/polish before I'd even consider it. I can't believe this is an Xbox tentpole for 2018, they better have some serious stuff at E3.

I highly recommend people just GamePass it for a month and then cancel because you will be done with it long before then.
I actually agree with a lot of these complaints, but there is something so charming about the game and the emergent gameplay means there is something incredibly cool or funny potentially waiting to happen at any turn. I've been in the technical Alpha for almost a whole year and despite none of my progress even counting I keep returning to play it, I can't wait to get in there with some of my freinds.

In regards to your comment on progression, there is progression it may have just not been very apparent from the get go. As you level up at each of the merchants the quests themselves get more difficult and varied.

For example, the first quest you get at the gold merchant will be as simple as sailing to a small island and digging up treasure where X marks the spot, as you progress up the ranks those quests get more challenging and complex, often they will involve solving a variety of riddles and puzzles on some of the bigger more interesting islands. I know in the closed beta they had earlier (where they kept your progress into the closed technical alpha) I was able to hit level 15 and by that point I was getting these multi-day quests where you would travel to 5+ islands which increased the stakes dramatically, at one point we had over 20 chests on our ship, unfortunately we engaged in a ship battle on the way back to cash them in and sunk and we lost all of our treasure before we could reap the reward, which was actually incredibly frustrating, I was playing with randoms without a mic and I felt like plugging in my mic and telling them just to head back to the outpost, but since it was a beta and I knew any progression I made would be wiped anyways I just left it. I only made it to level 15 so I don't really know what quests have in store beyond that.

Its probably not as satisifying as something like Destiny where you are finding new weapons to increase a power level but I think they did it so new players weren't segregated from experienced players, for example I could be max level and invite someone who has never played the game on a huge high level multi day quest.

I think gamepass will do wonders for this game, I think full price for this game is a tough sell but paying 10$ to rent it for the month and try it out means a bunch of people will get to play it that wouldnt normally bother with it.
Aug 20, 2009
6617 posts
1278 upvotes
Grimsby
but there is something so charming about the game and the emergent gameplay means there is something incredibly cool or funny potentially waiting to happen at any turn.
There really isn't any emergent gameplay though. You sail around hoping you run into other players so that you can fight them in the same few ways over and over. People are going to get insanely bored of that very fast. Heck even the short time I played people had already figured out it was better to avoid most of the PVP fights. The game has massive gaps in its content base and no real progression system. I know what you said about content evolution but given everything else I've seen I doubt its anything meaningful. The pirate legend stuff seems very thin at best. The game needs either horizontal upgrades for weaponry for both players and ships. Or it needs vertical progression systems for players themselves. It is more thin than many indie Steam games I've played. 2 ships in a sailing game and a max of 4 crew roles, that's inexcusable. Enemy variety is awful. Weapon variety almost doesn't exist. The combat itself is really underwhelming, particularly the player combat mechanics.

There's so much missed opportunity here for both player and ship customization and progression. Likewise with the content, I don't want to just look for a chest on an island 1000 times.

Anyways needless to say I will not be picking it up lol. I hope Microsoft gets more serious about exclusives soon because this is a really poor offering compared to the stuff Sony and Nintendo are putting out.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6136 posts
2229 upvotes
Toronto
Up until I read Redmask's comment I've been under the assumption this entire time that this was going to be a $20-30 small indie studio release like Cuphead. I had no idea this was a full priced $80 title because it never looked like that to me. That's crazy and I don't think this game will do well at all at that price.
Jan 17, 2017
127 posts
64 upvotes
shahram0 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 1:08 pm
Can someone give me the coles note on Fortnite? I tried playing it a couple of times on Xbox and just don't seem to feel the craze everyone has about the game.

I was with a squad, we jumped off the ship, and we ran around for a while. Found some stuff, then hung around some deserted building. I got shot from some random corner without knowing where it was coming from and game over. I felt like I spent more time waiting/running than anything. Is there more to this that I'm not doing / seeing?
As it's a Battle Royale game, with a large map, there will definitely be alot more downtime between fights than a traditional shooter. If you want more action, you can land in the more populated areas. On the flip side, it's hard to survive the popular areas and if you do, you often come out without shields or low health. Alot of people (including myself) land somewhere less populated, and setup where the circle is shrinking to.

But yes, alot of games involve alot of running where you want to loot and kill on the way. But you always have to be on guard as you can die extremely quickly. I'm always watching all angles when I am running from location to location.

The other difference is being able to build cover.

The big issues I have with the game is that communication is key to win in squads/duos and no one uses them in random groups. Also, most fights come down to a bunny hop shotgun battle, so it seems like the gun play is less refined than other games.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5033 posts
730 upvotes
calgary
I'm surprised there isn't more talk about Fortnite on this forum, it's insanely popular. I went to camp with a bunch of kids ranging from ages 8-12 and practically every single one of them played Fortnite or Roblox and I've personally seen a few atheletes I follow on twitter talking a ton about this game as well as a few stories of whole sporting teams picking up on this game.

Its constantly the most played game on Xbox Live.

To me it doesn't hold a candle to PUBG but whether its because its free, actually on PS4, its friendly visual aesthetics or a combination of all those things it to me is the "new" thing taking over from CoD and Minecraft.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1104 posts
287 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 2:40 pm
Playing a lot of Forza Horizon 3 lately. Definitely the best arcade racing game I've played since NFSU2. The Hot Wheels expansion is bonkers. I'll be playing this game for a long time probably. Great game for taking a break in between "serious" games

Started Infamous Second Son as well and it's pretty good. Very tight controls and slick action. I'm not a bit fan of the collectathon crap spread out all over the map but I'm ignoring it for the most part and sticking the the missions which are well done
What level are you in Forza Horizon 3? I've had this in my backlog for awhile and finally decided to put some hours into it. Just reached level 8. I got the Ultimate edition with the Car Pass, VIP, DLC and all that crap. Now i tried to get into this game a few times and just wasn't feeling it and I really wanted to like it because everyone seems to say it's the best racing game ever! I just don't get it. There's no sense of speed and the cars are difficult to control and keep spinning out. I don't know if I have to upgrade my cars or what. I prefer arcade racers over driving simulators and there's a steep learning curve here which took me off guard since I absolutely adored Forza Horizon 2 Presents Fast & Furious. Seems you really have to sloooow down when you take a corner. That first bucket challenge where you have to get 25,000 drift points was a downright pain and my hands still hurt from that challenge lol.

Just put in a few races of the Hot Wheels DLC and finally got a sense of speed! That being said I am really starting to get into this game. I can feel it getting addictive.

For anyone looking for speed I suggest checking out The Crew. That game is faaast! Between these two games fans of racing games can put in a lot of quality hours.