Console Gaming General Discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2019 12:50 am
Tags:
None
Jul 20, 2016
157 posts
90 upvotes
So I played over watch for the first time today, and it’s a really fun game. I’m disappointed that they still managed to get 40 dollars out of my wallet even though I thought it would be free to play by now, but whatever. Lots of fun. I tend to go for the ones that shoot lots of bullets or have lots of shields, cuz I’m a noob, but I’m trying to not play the ones I’m good with so I can branch out and try new things.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6849 posts
1792 upvotes
It has been 14 years since the release of the last major big budget Dragon Quest RPG.
Dragon Quest 8 on PS2 in 2004 and now Dragon Quest XI on PS4 in 2018.

This writer from Kotaku did a really thorough review of the game.

DQ9 is a Nintendo DS game and DQ10 was an online-only spinoff game only released in Japan.

88 average on metacritic:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... lusive-age

Amazon delivered the game early for once. After all the Amazon Prime membership discounts on game pre-orders were eliminated.
Apr 16, 2012
504 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone know when Red Dead Redemption 2 will be available for pre-order on Amazon.ca?
Apr 15, 2014
388 posts
308 upvotes
Toronto, ON
MeasureTheory wrote:
Sep 8th, 2018 9:37 pm
Anyone know when Red Dead Redemption 2 will be available for pre-order on Amazon.ca?
Should available already. I preordered almost a year ago during a promotion
Please respond
Apr 16, 2012
504 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto
CardinalComb wrote:
Sep 9th, 2018 7:21 pm
Should available already. I preordered almost a year ago during a promotion
Unfortunately, it's no longer available. I thought they'd have it in available in stock again by now, but it looks like i'll have to order it elsewhere.
Aug 20, 2009
6847 posts
1560 upvotes
Grimsby
Spent a ton of time on the weekend with Dragon Quest XI (PS4 version), just a quick trip report:

+ Beautiful world and general art direction
+ Plot/characters are decently written, it isn't the snoozefest that Ni No Kuni 2's main plot was
+ Great old school JRPG combat, love it
+ Game looks absolutely massive, barely scratched the surface
+ Lots of party members and build options, reminds me of the sphere grid in FFX

- You can turn off the Draconian Adventure options at any time at a church but they can only be turned on when you create your initial save. Very weird design decision.
- Music is mediocre, sounds like MIDI stuff and odd choices at various times.

Anyways having a blast, highly recommended.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2210 posts
281 upvotes
The Draconian options bug me. I started without them and just figured the difficulty in the opening hours was just the game easing you into things. By the time you realize the game is just really easy you're too far in for restarting to feel practical. I'm pretty late into the main story now and the difficulty has ticked up a little bit, but I haven't died a single time and only one boss has actually been remotely difficult.

There's also some really weird stuff going on in the battle calculations. Like you'll hit an enemy for 55 damage, they'll heal for 63 damage, and then you hit them for 55 damage again and they die - they should have been at full health which you already confirmed is more than 55.. Or turn orders varying immensely round to round sometimes without any effects or debuffs to turn order/agility. Def and attack also definitely don't work the way the loading tips describe, there seems to be break points or something where damage is multiplied.

Those are my only substantive complaints. Anything else is just nit picky. Having a blast regardless.
Aug 20, 2009
6847 posts
1560 upvotes
Grimsby
Yeah the draconian thing bothered me a bit too. I turned on Lower EXP from Low Level Monsters but nothing else unfortunately. In restrospect I wish I had ticked off Harder Monsters but no way I'm starting over again to enable it. I'm from the Dragon Warrior 1 NES days and I'm used to getting my butt kicked :)

Hopefully they patch in the ability later on. I was very amused to see that there is a 5 minute cooldown on the Forge if you load a save, someone at Square-Enix hates savescumming lol.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2210 posts
281 upvotes
I finished the main story in DQXI at around the 58 hour mark. Fun times. The last boss actually puts up a decent fight - managed to wipe my main party, although I got them all back up.

I started the post game too and there is some substantial narrative stuff going on. I'm not totally sure I like the direction it's going, but the main story "ending" is definitely not the games ending.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5407 posts
2399 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 12:02 pm
The new Shadow of the Tomb Raider game has the lowest review average out of the 3 games in the reboot trilogy:

83 out of 100
https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-on ... omb-raider

I played the first two hours briefly and went back to playing Dragon Quest XI and Spider-Man instead.

I played the first 30mins and am enjoying it. Looking forward to trading it in to EBG for $50.
Jan 25, 2006
580 posts
38 upvotes
Nova Scotia
XFactor11 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 12:02 pm
The new Shadow of the Tomb Raider game has the lowest review average out of the 3 games in the reboot trilogy:

83 out of 100
https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-on ... omb-raider

I played the first two hours briefly and went back to playing Dragon Quest XI and Spider-Man instead.

I am really enjoying it so far and probably 3 hours in. Not sure what people were expecting from this series...?? Reviewers that I have heard say if you enjoyed the 1st two then Shadow will be good for you. They didn't re-invent the series but seem to have enhanced it with this release. Curious for those that aren't enjoying it...what expectations did they have?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6849 posts
1792 upvotes
I think Shadow of the Tomb Raider has pacing issues compared to the other two games.
Also too many underwater swimming sections already (2 hours in).

The story is the worst out of the three reboot games as well IMO.
There are supernatural elements in these games but this one brought it up right at the beginning, whereas usually it is a plot device
near the end of the games.
quicksilver7 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 9:49 am
I am really enjoying it so far and probably 3 hours in. Not sure what people were expecting from this series...?? Reviewers that I have heard say if you enjoyed the 1st two then Shadow will be good for you. They didn't re-invent the series but seem to have enhanced it with this release. Curious for those that aren't enjoying it...what expectations did they have?