• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2019 4:06 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 25, 2006
617 posts
55 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Strange as I think it one of the best opening hours of the series. Certainly did not take long to get into the action. Also the under water scenes are phenomenal and add whole new area (s) to explore. Its good to have differing opinions on games so please don't take my thoughts as ones against yours...just trying to understand why this one seems to be lower in reviews. Gamers wanted more tombs, crypts and some wanted to show Lara's more violent side and they got it. My fear in this gaming age is that Fortnite type games are taking over the SP experience and studios will slow down and stop developing story driven paced games. I hope both to exist side by side but who knows. I am an older gamer so maybe I am just jaded since I don't play PUBG, Fortnite etc.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7024 posts
3288 upvotes
Toronto
quicksilver7 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 10:58 am
Its good to have differing opinions on games so please don't take my thoughts as ones against yours...just trying to understand why this one seems to be lower in reviews.
Don't read too into mainstream media reviews that make up metacritic scores. The majority of these review sites either go out of their way to post controversial opinions and scores for attention whenever they're not shilling in the echo chamber of multi million dollar marketing campaigns which this game surely didn't have. Review websites are a dying platform so everything they do and say is a calculated effort to maximize clicks and ad revenue.
quicksilver7 wrote:
My fear in this gaming age is that Fortnite type games are taking over the SP experience and studios will slow down and stop developing story driven paced games. I hope both to exist side by side but who knows. I am an older gamer so maybe I am just jaded since I don't play PUBG, Fortnite etc.
Single player gaming isn't going anywhere and we're arguably in a golden age of single player games right now. In the past year alone we got games like BOTW, Mario Odyssey, Prey, Wolfenstein II, Divinity OS2, AC:O, GOW, Spiderman, HZD, Uncharted Lost Legacy, Neir Automata, Persona 5 and many others I can't remember off the top of my head. Don't forget games like PUBG and Fortnite are cheap and/or free to play which is helps with their popularity but single player games like the ones I just mentioned are still far more profitable and selling very well.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1820 posts
502 upvotes
Toronto
quicksilver7 wrote:
just trying to understand why this one seems to be lower in reviews.
My hunch is that the Metacritic scores are lower for this game because its "more of the same". Same thing happened with Uncharted: The Lost Legacy when it received lower scores than previous Uncharted games
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7553 posts
2204 upvotes
Eidos Montreal made Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Crystal Dynamics (Tomb Raider 2013 and Rise of the Tomb Raider)
are presumably working on the next-gen Tomb Raider game.

Eidos Montreal also kind of botched Deus Ex Mankind Divided. That game is not as good as its predecessor, Deus Ex Human Revolution IMO.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1820 posts
502 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2018 12:57 am
I think that is doubtful. Spiderman does not have that big of a following for video games. Probably because most of the
other ones that were not made by Insomniac are bad games. The best selling Spiderman game of all-time on PS2 sold only 4.1 million units.

Other superhero games like Batman Arkham Knight only did around 4.1 million units sold on PS4.

According to this: http://www.vgchartz.com/platform/69/playstation-4/

Grand Theft Auto 5 leads overall PS4 game sales at 18.3 million units sold.

For PS4 first party made exclusives:
Uncharted 4 is the best selling PS4 exclusive by a large margin at over 10 million units sold.
The Last of Us Remastered 6.4 million
Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection at 5.5 million.
Horizon Zero Dawn at 5.0 million (It has been out for less time than the others)
God of War PS4 at 4.5 million (released April of this year).

-
So far its selling faster than Uncharted 4 or God of War, though Uncharted 4 at 10 million units will be difficult to beat.

This Spiderman game has been marketed very well.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... -game-ever
Aug 20, 2009
7131 posts
1833 upvotes
Grimsby
I'm getting caught up on recent events:

- RDR2 hands on by the press were very well received. Someone said the evolution of the first to second game was staggering and that its more like a western Skyrim with guns. Sounds super cool and glad I locked in a $50 preorder awhile back.
- Square-Enix is releasing an FF collection for the Switch and Xbox. Includes many of the old games except FF8, apparently that port was disastrous and its rumored that Square has lost some of the original assets.
- Sony agreed to allow cross-play for Fortnite, finally. I can stop reading about this now, thank god.
- PS Now supports game downloads for PS4/PS2 stuff which dramatically improves its position against Gamepass IMO. Sony still needs to come down on pricing but the library is pretty solid.
- Switch Online is finally confirmed that they will hold your save games for 6 months if you unsub before deletion
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7553 posts
2204 upvotes
Redmask wrote:
Sep 27th, 2018 9:37 am
I'm getting caught up on recent events:

- RDR2 hands on by the press were very well received. Someone said the evolution of the first to second game was staggering and that its more like a western Skyrim with guns. Sounds super cool and glad I locked in a $50 preorder awhile back.
- Square-Enix is releasing an FF collection for the Switch and Xbox. Includes many of the old games except FF8, apparently that port was disastrous and its rumored that Square has lost some of the original assets.
- Sony agreed to allow cross-play for Fortnite, finally. I can stop reading about this now, thank god.
- PS Now supports game downloads for PS4/PS2 stuff which dramatically improves its position against Gamepass IMO. Sony still needs to come down on pricing but the library is pretty solid.
- Switch Online is finally confirmed that they will hold your save games for 6 months if you unsub before deletion
Final Fantasy 8 has various renditions of a song that is no longer licensed to Square Enix.
Square's composer wrote it but a Chinese pop singer performed it and some other entity holds the legal rights to it.

That issue was never resolved by Square Enix, hence the reason why it is not part of the collection and why it was never ported over to any other
systems in years.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1162 posts
319 upvotes
Just played a bit of FH4. Game is gorgeous. If you liked FH3 then you're going to love FH4. Still can't believe this game is free with gamepass. While I liked FH3 I didn't love it. I never got used to driving on the wrong side of the road lol.

Super Lucky's Tale - lol microsoft has exclusives lol. I like a good platformer every once in awhile and what I played of it was actually pretty fun!

I played through and finished Shiness. One of the best indie RPGs I've played in awhile.

I'm about 90% sure I'm about to pick up Star Wars Battlefront 2 that's currently on sale. I'm leaning towards Xbox since it will look best on the X but PS4 will have the higher player base. Will probably watch Solo on the weekend and make it a Star Wars themed weekend. We'll see....
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7024 posts
3288 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 7:54 pm
Just played a bit of FH4. Game is gorgeous. If you liked FH3 then you're going to love FH4. Still can't believe this game is free with gamepass. While I liked FH3 I didn't love it. I never got used to driving on the wrong side of the road lol.

I'm about 90% sure I'm about to pick up Star Wars Battlefront 2 that's currently on sale. I'm leaning towards Xbox since it will look best on the X but PS4 will have the higher player base. Will probably watch Solo on the weekend and make it a Star Wars themed weekend. We'll see....
Man the endless praise of FH4 makes me want to pick it up sooner than later but I still have a good chunk of FH3 left to finish

I'm sure if you're willing to wait, SWBF2 is most certainty going to be added to EA/Origin Access. I really appreciate that these cheap subscription models that are allowing me to play these games I don't have a ton of time to invest into
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1162 posts
319 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 1:58 pm
Man the endless praise of FH4 makes me want to pick it up sooner than later but I still have a good chunk of FH3 left to finish

I'm sure if you're willing to wait, SWBF2 is most certainty going to be added to EA/Origin Access. I really appreciate that these cheap subscription models that are allowing me to play these games I don't have a ton of time to invest into
Well basically every version of Forza Horizon has gotten better with each iteration. At this point it's the one studio MS can count on to release a true AAA experience. FH4 even remembered my name from FH3 which I found funny and a nice touch. If you're still playing FH3 then there's no rush. FH4 will still be there when you're ready to play. With black friday and the holidays coming up it won't be long before MS is offering gamepass for a $1 or $2 for one month again at which point you can check it out. Gamepass even works with PC!

I did go ahead and buy SWBF2. I have no will power or self control when it comes to games lol. Also the price was right. I'd rather own a game and play at my own pace rather than worry about a subscription running out, plus I really did like the first game.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7024 posts
3288 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 3:34 pm
I did go ahead and buy SWBF2. I have no will power or self control when it comes to games lol. Also the price was right. I'd rather own a game and play at my own pace rather than worry about a subscription running out, plus I really did like the first game.
smh your lack of will power and self restraint is ruining gaming for the rest of us /s Face With Tears Of Joy

I'm interested in checking that game out, especially the SP campaign but I know I'm not going to play it for more than 10-20 hours total so I'm just waiting for them to throw it in the vault. I'm glad I did that for BF1 as well because despite its popularity it's the worst Battlefield game I've ever played and I didn't end up investing even 1/4 of the time I did into BC2, BF3 and BF4. I would've been very disappointed had I actually paid money for that game never mind the premium pass. I guess I did technically pay for it in my $30 a year subscription but with how many other games I got out of that $30 I'm not really upset about it
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3821 posts
971 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Well basically every version of Forza Horizon has gotten better with each iteration. At this point it's the one studio MS can count on to release a true AAA experience. FH4 even remembered my name from FH3 which I found funny and a nice touch. If you're still playing FH3 then there's no rush. FH4 will still be there when you're ready to play. With black friday and the holidays coming up it won't be long before MS is offering gamepass for a $1 or $2 for one month again at which point you can check it out. Gamepass even works with PC!
The name thing w/ FH4 was a really nice touch, and I wasn't the only one in my group of friends to notice either. So far I'm really loving it, and it's really justified my Gamepass purchase. The Horizon series is the perfect sit back, relax and cruise around type of game, and 4 is checking all the boxes for me.

As an aside, Split/Second is now free on Gamepass too... I really loved this game back in the 360 days.
Games: XBox Live: M1GO

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1162 posts
319 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 4:55 pm
The name thing w/ FH4 was a really nice touch, and I wasn't the only one in my group of friends to notice either. So far I'm really loving it, and it's really justified my Gamepass purchase. The Horizon series is the perfect sit back, relax and cruise around type of game, and 4 is checking all the boxes for me.

As an aside, Split/Second is now free on Gamepass too... I really loved this game back in the 360 days.
The name thing, it's funny to load up a game for the first time and have it greet you buy your name. Creates an instant connection with the game. Nice personal/psychological touch.

Split/Second is easily one of my top 5 all time favorite racing games. I remember playing it a couple of months back when it went backwards compatible. Now that it's backwards compatible and free, it's a no brainer! Also being free means there will be newblood for the online mode = win/win! The game looks great on the X. Now if they could just find a way to make Blur backwards compatible too, my nostalgia would be complete!
ReeGee wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 4:18 pm
smh your lack of will power and self restraint is ruining gaming for the rest of us /s Face With Tears Of Joy

I'm interested in checking that game out, especially the SP campaign but I know I'm not going to play it for more than 10-20 hours total so I'm just waiting for them to throw it in the vault. I'm glad I did that for BF1 as well because despite its popularity it's the worst Battlefield game I've ever played and I didn't end up investing even 1/4 of the time I did into BC2, BF3 and BF4. I would've been very disappointed had I actually paid money for that game never mind the premium pass. I guess I did technically pay for it in my $30 a year subscription but with how many other games I got out of that $30 I'm not really upset about it
Well I would never pay full price for SWBF2 plus they removed the loot box shenanigans so I do have standards lol. I did play the first one for about as long as you. I played it pretty intense during a double XP weekend, just enough to unlock the best gun in the game and then quit lol. Still felt like I got my money's worth. The story in SWBF2 is canon so it fills in the gap between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens which is cool and is pretty fun so far.

I'm surprised you didn't like BF1. The game was very well received and very popular for awhile.
Aug 20, 2009
7131 posts
1833 upvotes
Grimsby
BF1 was solid but had no longevity. I thought map design was pretty weak too. There's just something about the gun mechanics in that game that aren't super fun.

The BF V beta was a big letdown too, its the first BF title I will probably skip entirely. Perhaps I'm just tired of the BF formula though.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
3243 posts
1101 upvotes
Bryson wrote:

Is it worth going back to FH3 if you already have FH4? I have a Game Pass and due to time constraints, I haven't even opened FH3. I will agree with you that FH4 is amazing. It's the first racing game to make me want to buy a racing wheel since Forza Motorsports 4.