• Jan 14th, 2019 12:50 am
Tags:
None
Nov 24, 2016
155 posts
91 upvotes
V400 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2018 9:56 am

Get the PS4. Not only do they have a lot more exclusives, but many of them can be considered GOTY quality. Check out the black friday deals, new Spiderman PS4 bundle will be on sale for $260
Thanks! 260 dollars sounds great.
Redmask wrote:
Nov 19th, 2018 10:03 am

While Microsoft has reversed course on its many poor decisions at the beginning of this generation, they haven't really ever caught up unfortunately. This is especially noticeable with the lack of first party exclusives. They've made a bunch of investments in first party studios recently but none of that is realistically going to matter until next generation as games take 2-3 years to make.

On the other side of things Sony has consistently shipped high quality first party titles and many of them are singleplayer. They also have the sales lead by more than a 2:1 margin so they tend to get a lot of marketing deals and exclusive content for third party stuff. Going by your stated taste, I suggest getting a PS4.
ReeGee wrote:
Nov 19th, 2018 12:57 pm
Get the PS4 and start with Uncharted 4 if you're looking for a short and sweet experience. Lost Legacy and Ratchet and Clank are excellent short games as well. PS4 definitely has the better games overall but most of the other good ones I can think of are probably way longer than you have time for over a single holiday.
I was doing a bit of research today and came across Bloodborne. Instantly made up my mind. I can't believe I've missed out on this... It's going to be a MASSIVE time sink judging from how long the old Souls games were, but this is going to take me back. I'll finish however much I can I guess. Uncharted looks cool too. I remember playing the first one on PS3 back in the late 2000's.
Aug 24, 2005
772 posts
18 upvotes
Is it just me or is the Switch OOS everywhere? Should I buy it now? Or wait a couple more weeks? Note I need this for a Christmas gift.

All I see is the base model for $380 :(
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2210 posts
281 upvotes
The base model is all you're likely to get. You're way too late to be trying for the Smash or Lets Go bundles, and the MK8D bundle was specifically for Black Friday. Walmart US is supposed to have a Mario+Rabbids bundle tomorrow, no idea if Canada's getting it.

And yeah, if it's a Christmas gift you should probably buy it ASAP. The Let's Go games were the 4th highest selling product on Black Friday and they weren't on sale at all - suffice to say Switch is hot this Holiday season.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7470 posts
1160 upvotes
I've noticed hot items have no actual sales. Switch is one of those. PS4 Pros are another (thanks to the Red Dead 2 bundle), even the Sony XM3 headset i got...no sale. Everything thats good, high quality, or top of the range in entertainment value, just sells itself. No special sales are needed.

I'm still hoping for a PS Pro sale after Christmas, when the Red Dead 2 bundle isnt a new thing anymore. I purchased the game separately and would just prefer a cheaper bare bones system (already got a huge backlog of games).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6365 posts
2451 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe I need to give it some more time but so far I'm not having the same mindblowing GOTY experience other people seem to have with God Of War. I'm at least 5-6 hours in now and aside from the Stranger fight at the very beginning there hasn't been any real cool boss fights or crazy epic moments the series is known for. After replaying GOW3 Remastered recently, this game seems very slowly paced compared to that. I'm aware this game is much longer so hopefully this is another case like HZD where the second half is significantly better than the first and I end up loving it but I'm finding it kind of underwhelming so far
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5080 posts
764 upvotes
calgary
ReeGee wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 1:08 pm
Maybe I need to give it some more time but so far I'm not having the same mindblowing GOTY experience other people seem to have with God Of War. I'm at least 5-6 hours in now and aside from the Stranger fight at the very beginning there hasn't been any real cool boss fights or crazy epic moments the series is known for. After replaying GOW3 Remastered recently, this game seems very slowly paced compared to that. I'm aware this game is much longer so hopefully this is another case like HZD where the second half is significantly better than the first and I end up loving it but I'm finding it kind of underwhelming so far
I felt the same way through the first few hours, the game opens up around the 5 hour mark and becomes a lot more enjoyable.

The combat is way more satisfying than the previous GoW games and the story is actually worth caring about.
Aug 20, 2009
6847 posts
1560 upvotes
Grimsby
ReeGee wrote:
Much like Last of Us and H:ZD, just keep going :)
Aug 24, 2005
772 posts
18 upvotes
Ascott wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 1:18 am
The base model is all you're likely to get. You're way too late to be trying for the Smash or Lets Go bundles, and the MK8D bundle was specifically for Black Friday. Walmart US is supposed to have a Mario+Rabbids bundle tomorrow, no idea if Canada's getting it.

And yeah, if it's a Christmas gift you should probably buy it ASAP. The Let's Go games were the 4th highest selling product on Black Friday and they weren't on sale at all - suffice to say Switch is hot this Holiday season.
Yeah I found the Wal Mart $380 with a $50 Nintendo GC... Damn that hurt. I shudder to think about all the accessories I will need to buy.
Aug 16, 2009
945 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
I have a PS3 that's hardly used. Thinking of getting into the Move and some old fitness games. Anyone know where I can locate controllers and the camera for good value?
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2210 posts
281 upvotes
Tomato_1 wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 3:13 pm
Yeah I found the Wal Mart $380 with a $50 Nintendo GC... Damn that hurt. I shudder to think about all the accessories I will need to buy.
You don't really need that much out of the gate. Most retail titles land in the 6-7GB range and most indies are under 1GB so the internal 32GB of memory has some legs, most multiplayer titles allow you to use the included joycons as separate controllers, and if it's for a kid or person with small hands (like me) the Joycon grip may well be more comfortable and usable than a pro controller.

The only thing I'd really say you'll want day one is a tempered glass screen protector, and good ones are pretty cheap.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1765 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
I enjoyed God of War more than Horizon Zero Dawn, but I didn't complete either game (will go back to both eventually). Both games have great graphics and control very well. I can not and will not go back to the older God of War games after playing this one.

On the other hand, I had a lot more fun with Spiderman despite its slightly wonky controls. It was one of only three games I completed this year.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1130 posts
309 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
I think that all of the previous GoW blew me away more too and I've played them all including Ascension. GoW 2018 is a different game, different combat, slower placed but it definitely picks up as you go along. What GoW has going for it is that it is a very polished game, free of microtransactions which is rare these days for a AAA game and that stranger fight has to go down as one of the more epic opening sequences in a game.

Out of curiosity when you made your post had you made it to the hub world in the water? The game opens up when you get around that part.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6365 posts
2451 upvotes
Toronto
heywhatsmyname wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 10:31 am

I enjoyed God of War more than Horizon Zero Dawn, but I didn't complete either game (will go back to both eventually). Both games have great graphics and control very well. I can not and will not go back to the older God of War games after playing this one.

On the other hand, I had a lot more fun with Spiderman despite its slightly wonky controls. It was one of only three games I completed this year.
How far you get in HZD? That game has probably the most drastic change and improvement from early to mid-late game I've ever experienced. It took me months of forcing myself to push through the first 15-20 hours then like a week or two to finish the next 20 hours as I couldn't put it down at that point

Looking forward to getting Spiderman when it gets a bit cheaper
Bryson wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 2:00 pm
I think that all of the previous GoW blew me away more too and I've played them all including Ascension. GoW 2018 is a different game, different combat, slower placed but it definitely picks up as you go along. What GoW has going for it is that it is a very polished game, free of microtransactions which is rare these days for a AAA game and that stranger fight has to go down as one of the more epic opening sequences in a game.

Out of curiosity when you made your post had you made it to the hub world in the water? The game opens up when you get around that part.
I had just moved the bridge and traveled to the first realm before I made that post and haven't played since as I got sucked back into Yakuza 0 these last couple days. When I first got to that lake and woke the World Serpent I thought "oook finally a big boss fight here we go" but then the cut scene ends and you're just back to exploring and fighting regular enemies lol
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1765 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 2:53 pm
How far you get in HZD? That game has probably the most drastic change and improvement from early to mid-late game I've ever experienced. It took me months of forcing myself to push through the first 15-20 hours then like a week or two to finish the next 20 hours as I couldn't put it down at that point
I forgot as it's been a while, I was probably about a dozen hours in. I heard it does get better later on in the game, so I will revisit it eventually.