• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2019 12:50 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2210 posts
281 upvotes
Obsidian is supposedly confirmed for announcing their first game post-Microsoft buyout. Be pretty surprised if Nintendo didn't show Bayonetta 3. It's been a pretty consistent rumor that SE is finally going to show their Avengers game.

Should be a decent time. And Smash Bros. Ultimate should unlock on the Switch eShop pretty much right after the Game Awards.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6839 posts
1770 upvotes
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 was just announced as a Nintendo Switch exclusive at The Game Awards 2018

Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
29332 posts
2204 upvotes
Winnipeg
Redmask wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2018 3:10 pm
Yeah Abyss was fantastic and managed to have a protagonist with a decent character arc. Xillia was really mediocre, I've never understood the praise and sequel treatment it got. Zestiria is just OK. Symphonia was fun when I played it in the GC days but it has not aged well at all. Berseria is above average but I'm just not feeling it for some reason, felt like busywork. Maybe I'm just a bit burned out on Tales games though, I've played all of them save Graces F. I think my recent playthru of Persona 5 didn't help either.
Berseria is amazing though, the darkest of all tales so far, dat betrayal and killing off the beginning of the plot is dark.
Oct 1, 2012
256 posts
9 upvotes
Here and there
ReeGee wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 1:08 pm
Maybe I need to give it some more time but so far I'm not having the same mindblowing GOTY experience other people seem to have with God Of War. I'm at least 5-6 hours in now and aside from the Stranger fight at the very beginning there hasn't been any real cool boss fights or crazy epic moments the series is known for. After replaying GOW3 Remastered recently, this game seems very slowly paced compared to that. I'm aware this game is much longer so hopefully this is another case like HZD where the second half is significantly better than the first and I end up loving it but I'm finding it kind of underwhelming so far
I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this. I've been playing GOW on and off in the first portal/zone (?) and it's been really slow. I played all the other GOW I actually prefer the previous games more. GOW3 is my personal favourite game. I'm hoping it does pick up soon.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6359 posts
2434 upvotes
Toronto
account1 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 9:58 am
I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this. I've been playing GOW on and off in the first portal/zone (?) and it's been really slow. I played all the other GOW I actually prefer the previous games more. GOW3 is my personal favourite game. I'm hoping it does pick up soon.
Sounds like you're at Alfheim realm which is around where I was when I made that post. I've warmed up to it a bit more since clearing the "Inside the mountain" main quest and boss fight at the end of that. That boss fight was the wow factor I was looking for out of this game though it took me quite a lot of time to get there. I think my problem is I feel compelled to explore and complete side quests before moving forward so I'm not even half way through the main game despite playing for like 20 hours now so the epic moments seem further apart compared to pushing through the main quest without getting distracted.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1764 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto
I've been playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey recently. I'm about 12 hours in and it's a great experience so far. Ancient Greece looks amazing on my non-Pro PS4. It's my favourite AC game since Black Flag.

It's weird to see this action adventure stealth series evolve to an open world RPG. Though it's understandable because I found Unity and Syndicate to be rather stale.

It's also strange that this game reminds me of Diablo 3 because of the amount of loot you can obtain in this game. It's repetitive and addictive at the same time.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6359 posts
2434 upvotes
Toronto
heywhatsmyname wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 3:54 pm
I've been playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey recently. I'm about 12 hours in and it's a great experience so far. Ancient Greece looks amazing on my non-Pro PS4. It's my favourite AC game since Black Flag.

It's weird to see this action adventure stealth series evolve to an open world RPG. Though it's understandable because I found Unity and Syndicate to be rather stale.

It's also strange that this game reminds me of Diablo 3 because of the amount of loot you can obtain in this game. It's repetitive and addictive at the same time.
Did you play Origins by any chance? That was easily a top 3 game for me last year. I'm interested in picking up Odyssey at some point but not in a rush because it looks like more of Origins which I dumped a ton of hours into. I'm curious to know if Odyssey is that much better or more or less the same as Origins.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1764 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 4:46 pm
Did you play Origins by any chance? That was easily a top 3 game for me last year. I'm interested in picking up Odyssey at some point but not in a rush because it looks like more of Origins which I dumped a ton of hours into. I'm curious to know if Odyssey is that much better or more or less the same as Origins.
I didn't play Origins, but from what I hear Odyssey expands or improves on a lot of what Origins was trying to do.

Since there is no new AC game until 2020 (next gen?), you could hold off playing Odyssey if Origins still feels fresh in your mind.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2009
1470 posts
352 upvotes
heywhatsmyname wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 10:33 am
I didn't play Origins, but from what I hear Odyssey expands or improves on a lot of what Origins was trying to do.

Since there is no new AC game until 2020 (next gen?), you could hold off playing Odyssey if Origins still feels fresh in your mind.
Yep, I'm doing this. Backlog is big enough, and I'm in no rush to play Odyssey so I'll eventually pick it up when it's cheaper with all the DLC.

I played Rogue Remastered a few months back and really enjoyed it. It's a must play for anyone that loves the series, and if you just stick to the main quests you can get through it in 10-14 hours so it's not too daunting.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6839 posts
1770 upvotes
All the major video game events from 2018 were summarized in Easy Allies' Mandatory Update.
That Phil Spencer impersonation was spot on. They even got his speaking mannerisms, desperate tactics, and hairstyle down. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

4:30 into the video

Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6839 posts
1770 upvotes
The Playstation 4, as of December 31st, 2018, has now cumulatively sold through more than 91.6 million units worldwide.
5.6 million of those were sold globally during the 2018 holiday season.

Spider-Man PS4 has cumulatively sold through over 9 million copies worldwide as of November 25, 2018 (not including Holidays); making it the fastest selling PS4 exclusive.
It launched in September 2018.

source:
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 74260.html
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps4-se ... -pr.91971/

It appears that the PS4 will surpass the Playstation 1 and Nintendo Wii and end up being the 2nd highest selling console ever.

Lifetime console sales rankings:

1. PlayStation 2 (console) 157.7 million units sold
2. Nindento DS (handheld) 154.9 million units sold
3. GameBoy (handheld) 118.7 million units sold
4. PlayStation (console) 104.3 million units sold
5. Nintendo Wii (console) 101.6 million units sold
6. Playstation 4 (console) 91.6 million units sold (as of December 2018)
7. Playstation 3 (console) 86.9 million units sold
8. XBox 360 (console) 85.8 million units sold
9. GameBoy Advance (handheld) 81.5 million units sold
10. Playstation Portable (handheld) 80.8 million units sold
11. Nintendo 3DS (handheld) 73.8 million unitd sold
12. Nintendo NES (console) 61.9 million units sold
13. Super Nintendo (console) 49.1 million units sold
14. XBox One (console) 42.3 million units sold (Estimated based on NPD, Microsoft no longer publicly reports firm XBox One sales data)
15. Nintendo 64 (console) 32.9 million units sold
16. Sega Genesis (console) 29.6 million units sold

The Nintendo Switch is estimated at around 28 million units sold since March 2017. Nintendo has not released firm recent sales data but
it was at 19.7 million units sold when Nintendo last reported at June 30, 2018.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1764 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto
I still remember the period between 2011-2013 that "analysts" predicted that consoles were going to be a thing of the past because of mobile and Facebook gaming. There was a laughable Times article in 2013 that claimed the PS4 and Xbox One are dinosaurs in the age of mobile and streaming.

The PS4 on its way to selling 100 million units is good for the industry. I'm sure the PS4 will do well in emerging markets in years to come, similar as the PS2 that continued to sell well in the late 2000s. I could see the PS4 ending its lifecycle around 125-135 million units.