• Feb 18th, 2022 11:27 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8628 upvotes
GTA
General question that maybe @Redmask can answer - how come the PS5 drops keep showing up in PC & Video Games subforum? Shouldn't they be in Hot Deals for example? Unless I am seeing things incorrectly.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
3427 posts
1901 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Some news about Dead Space. Built from the ground up... 4k gaming at night... Gonna need new pants

Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
6762 posts
2096 upvotes
Bit of a rambling, completely random and not totally related post. Trying to tackle a backlog of games of old stuff I was thinking of playing. I'm trying to speed through things a bit while still enjoying it a bit. I'm playing a bunch of older previous gen stuff on the new consoles but I'm not sure if I'm spending too much time using a powerful console on older games....

On the PS5 I started playing Control and Arkham Knight. Control I will play here and there, Arkham Knight I started playing last night but a small part of me is wondering if I should play it. I enjoyed Arkham Asylum and Arkham City and thought they both were fun (played both on PC after they were free via Epic Games), and the first little while of Arkham Knight has been fun but I'm wondering if I should play something else instead for a "newer" and "different" experience. I beat Spider-Man Remastered recently and have started the DLC a bit here and there. I liked the base game but again, wondering if I should just focus on playing something different instead of playing more of a similar thing in the DLC.

I was also playing through the first God of War on the PS3 in hopes that I would play somehow the first 3 before playing the 2018 game, to perhaps have a better appreciation of GoW 2018. I got through about half way to 2/3 of the first game but have been on pause with that because....

On the Series X, I've been going through Assassin's Creed 2 (via the Ezio Collection) because I had never played a single AC game prior. No gamepass as the local library has a ton of games to borrow anyways. I would like to go through the whole Ezio Collection though I don't know how long that's gonna take me also. As well, been kinda thinking of playing through the Halo Master Chief Collection since I had never played Halo before either. Playing through the first one and about 3 levels in and it's been alright. I also would like to get through the whole Master Chief Collection but realistically again...don't know if I have that kind of time.

All of this has been enjoyable though I can't help but feel like if I'm gonna try to get through my backlog of all this before playing anything next gen, I'll never get a chance to enjoy this new gen for a LONG time. Some other stuff I've been also wanting to play (whether it be via PS+ or just being able to grab it from the library):

- Star Wars Fallen Order
- Yakuza series (Kiwami, Kiwami 1, remastered 3-5, Song of Life)
- Judgment
- Gears of War
- Spider-Man Miles Morales
- Bug Snax (yes lol, was free so why not, seemed odd yet intriguing)
- Hitman 2
- Deus Ex (looks cool but let's be honest I doubt I'll get around to this one)
- Mad Max (see above)
- Bioshock Series Remastered

Basically, I have absolutely no reason to be actually buying a game lol.
Last edited by Canada_7 on Sep 22nd, 2021 8:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
Canada_7 wrote: Bit of a rambling, completely random and not totally related to the above posts... Trying to tackle a backlog of games of old stuff I was thinking of playing. I'm trying to speed through things a bit while still enjoying it a bit. I'm playing a bunch of older previous gen stuff on the new consoles but I'm not sure if I'm spending too much time using a powerful console on older games....

On the PS5 I started playing Control and Arkham Knight. Control I will play here and there, Arkham Knight I started playing last night but a small part of me is wondering if I should play it. I enjoyed Arkham Asylum and Arkham City and thought they both were fun (played both on PC after they were free via Epic Games), and the first little while of Arkham Knight has been fun but I'm wondering if I should play something else instead for a "newer" and "different" experience. I beat Spider-Man Remastered recently and have started the DLC a bit here and there. I liked the base game but again, wondering if I should just focus on playing something different instead of playing more of a similar thing in the DLC.

I was also playing through the first God of War on the PS3 in hopes that I would play somehow the first 3 before playing the 2018 game, to perhaps have a better appreciation of GoW 2018. I got through about half way to 2/3 of the first game but have been on pause with that because....

On the Series X, I've been going through Assassin's Creed 2 (via the Ezio Collection) because I had never played a single AC game prior. No gamepass as the local library has a ton of games to borrow anyways. I would like to go through the whole Ezio Collection though I don't know how long that's gonna take me also. As well, been kinda thinking of playing through the Halo Master Chief Collection since I had never played Halo before either. Playing through the first one and about 3 levels in and it's been alright. I also would like to get through the whole Master Chief Collection but realistically again...don't know if I realistically have that kind of time.

Again, all of this has been enjoyable though I can't help but feel like if I'm gonna try to get through my backlog of all this before playing anything next gen, I'll never get a chance to enjoy this new gen for a LONG time. Some other stuff I've been also wanting to play (whether it be via PS+ or just being able to grab it from the library)

- Star Wars Fallen Order
- Judgment
- Gears of War
- Hitman 2
- Mad Max (see above)

While the old Halo games are fine, they've got some incredibly boring parts meant to showcase the vastness of the levels. TBH I prefer Halo:Reach if you're not particularly connected to the franchise and the story. It's a stand alone prequel to the Halo series that IMO is also the best written and most impactful...

I'm assuming you don't subscribe to XBox Live then? Cuz if you do, there's an extremely cheap way to get GamePass by upgrading it, and that way you've basically got SW Fallen Order (I really liked that game BTW), Halo and Gears taken care of.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8628 upvotes
GTA
Canada_7 wrote: Bit of a rambling, completely random and not totally related to the above posts... Trying to tackle a backlog of games of old stuff I was thinking of playing. I'm trying to speed through things a bit while still enjoying it a bit. I'm playing a bunch of older previous gen stuff on the new consoles but I'm not sure if I'm spending too much time using a powerful console on older games....

On the Series X, I've been going through Assassin's Creed 2 (via the Ezio Collection) because I had never played a single AC game prior. No gamepass as the local library has a ton of games to borrow anyways. I would like to go through the whole Ezio Collection though I don't know how long that's gonna take me also. As well, been kinda thinking of playing through the Halo Master Chief Collection since I had never played Halo before either. Playing through the first one and about 3 levels in and it's been alright. I also would like to get through the whole Master Chief Collection but realistically again...don't know if I realistically have that kind of time.

Again, all of this has been enjoyable though I can't help but feel like if I'm gonna try to get through my backlog of all this before playing anything next gen, I'll never get a chance to enjoy this new gen for a LONG time. Some other stuff I've been also wanting to play (whether it be via PS+ or just being able to grab it from the library)

- Star Wars Fallen Order
- Judgment
- Gears of War
- Hitman 2
- Mad Max (see above)

I played a whole bunch off my backlog in the last year, mostly PS3 stuff. I prioritized a bit by using this site
https://howlongtobeat.com/

I started with some shorter/easier stuff that I thought I'd enjoy, while also mixing up genres a bit instead of doing the same game type or franchise. Finally played ICO thanks to that site, so glad I did too.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
6762 posts
2096 upvotes
Edit: just gonna add, Bioshock Series Remastered is also on my list lol.

Reread my initial post, my goodness... sorry for the repetition in my words and poor use of punctuation (or everything really lol). Made a couple edits to make it slightly more coherent.
M1GOmigs wrote: While the old Halo games are fine, they've got some incredibly boring parts meant to showcase the vastness of the levels. TBH I prefer Halo:Reach if you're not particularly connected to the franchise and the story. It's a stand alone prequel to the Halo series that IMO is also the best written and most impactful...

I'm assuming you don't subscribe to XBox Live then? Cuz if you do, there's an extremely cheap way to get GamePass by upgrading it, and that way you've basically got SW Fallen Order (I really liked that game BTW), Halo and Gears taken care of.
Nah, I don't have Live. I was a PS4 guy last gen and have PS+. I got my PS5 first also and thought I was set... Til I found a ridiculous deal on a second hand Series X (guy wasn't much of a gamer and said he did his light gaming on his PC anyway, was a pretty big discount than retail). The Series X is "intended" to be my secondary, so I won't be getting Live or Gamepass (at least for the time being) as I'm already paying for PS+. As I mentioned, my local library has a bunch of stuff thus why I didn't intend to buy some Xbox games. For example, Halo MCC, AC Ezio Collection were both borrowed from the library. Fallen Order I do own for PlayStation, only because I came across someone selling used for $10. Local library has it but at that price, was kinda hard to turn down (also got this before I found the Series X).

You have a point with Gears though as the library doesn't have Gears 2 or 3 with 360 (they have 4 and 5 for the XB One). I'll figure it out once I get to the Gears series (maybe just a cheap used copy), whenever that is lol.

Thanks for letting me know with Halo, perhaps I could just watch a video of the story or something.

BernardRyder wrote: I played a whole bunch off my backlog in the last year, mostly PS3 stuff. I prioritized a bit by using this site

I started with some shorter/easier stuff that I thought I'd enjoy, while also mixing up genres a bit instead of doing the same game type or franchise. Finally played ICO thanks to that site, so glad I did too.
Thanks for that link, will take a look around to see what order perhaps I should play stuff in.
Deal Guru
Jul 5, 2001
10109 posts
12727 upvotes
Toronto
BernardRyder wrote: I played a whole bunch off my backlog in the last year, mostly PS3 stuff. I prioritized a bit by using this site

Wait, how does that work? You look at what games suit your schedule and then you play them??? Why not just play games that appeal to you and if some take longer, then so what...seems too robotic. Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2011
5776 posts
3926 upvotes
Toronto and London

I use that site as well. Very helpful so you can plan ahead. Now days, I mostly try to play games in the 10-15h range so I find that site very useful.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
Canada_7 wrote: Edit: just gonna add, Bioshock Series Remastered is also on my list lol.

You have a point with Gears though as the library doesn't have Gears 2 or 3 with 360 (they have 4 and 5 for the XB One). I'll figure it out once I get to the Gears series (maybe just a cheap used copy), whenever that is lol.

Thanks for letting me know with Halo, perhaps I could just watch a video of the story or something.
Yeah, you'll likely be able to find plenty of used Gears 2 and Gears 3 copies at Gamestop at this point. And if you can't find them, then it might be worth it to just jump on a $1 promotional GamePass subscription, play the games, and then cancel.

What I liked about the Gears campaigns is that they're fun to play with others, whether couch co-op or online. They don't make a lot of good couch co-op games anymore...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8628 upvotes
GTA
9394 wrote: Wait, how does that work? You look at what games suit your schedule and then you play them??? Why not just play games that appeal to you and if some take longer, then so what...seems too robotic. Face With Tears Of Joy
Yeah I guess it can seem that way depending on how you use it. But scheduling isn a good strategy when your time is limited.
My goal was to eliminate some of the backlog, so I started with a few short games (8-12 hours range). I also considered the game itself, which is why I chose ICO because of how awesome it was supposed to be. I bumped it ahead of something I had that was shorter (can't remember what) based on reputation. I'm glad I did because it is quite amazing, I'm even tempted to play it again to see if I could get a few more trophies such as the timed ones.
Honestly, I have started sooooo many games that appeal to me, and guess what? I've finished few of them because they're 60+ hours long, and sometimes playing them knowing there's still 30+ hours makes it feel like a chore. That just ends up frustrating me and makes me feel like I wasted a lot of money, even if i got them on sale or PS+. Completing a few shorter games I've owned forever actually makes me feel like I've accomplished something.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Guru
Jul 5, 2001
10109 posts
12727 upvotes
Toronto
BernardRyder wrote: Yeah I guess it can seem that way depending on how you use it. But scheduling isn a good strategy when your time is limited.
My goal was to eliminate some of the backlog, so I started with a few short games (8-12 hours range). I also considered the game itself, which is why I chose ICO because of how awesome it was supposed to be. I bumped it ahead of something I had that was shorter (can't remember what) based on reputation. I'm glad I did because it is quite amazing, I'm even tempted to play it again to see if I could get a few more trophies such as the timed ones.
Honestly, I have started sooooo many games that appeal to me, and guess what? I've finished few of them because they're 60+ hours long, and sometimes playing them knowing there's still 30+ hours makes it feel like a chore. That just ends up frustrating me and makes me feel like I wasted a lot of money, even if i got them on sale or PS+. Completing a few shorter games I've owned forever actually makes me feel like I've accomplished something.
Sounds like you are a prime candidate for GamePass. Face With Tears Of Joy

If something doesn't capture my attention during the first 10mins of gameplay, I won't be playing it. It's great now with unlimited, fast internet. I can download a game in minutes, try it out and delete if I don't like.

I am not a trophy/achievement chaser, so as long as I finish a game (which is super rare) I'm happy.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8628 upvotes
GTA
9394 wrote: Sounds like you are a prime candidate for GamePass. Face With Tears Of Joy

If something doesn't capture my attention during the first 10mins of gameplay, I won't be playing it. It's great now with unlimited, fast internet. I can download a game in minutes, try it out and delete if I don't like.

I am not a trophy/achievement chaser, so as long as I finish a game (which is super rare) I'm happy.
Opposite I think, and definitely at this point. I'm pretty choosy so lots of the stuff I have is quality gaming, so the first 10 minutes or hours is never a problem. At this point adding to my PlayStation backlog with a different console with more games just so I'd have to use more time to figure out if I like a GamePass game doesn't make sense. And what happens when I find a game I like? It will end up being something else on the backlog, unless it is a 10 minutes game Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
I don't really chase trophies that hard, but I will try to get the ones I think are realistic for me. If I miss them it's no big loss. And if you finish games rarely, why don't you try the strategy? I found once I finished a game, it actually made me want to move on to another one. Finishing can inspire you to keep playing.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
4372 posts
6939 upvotes
Canada_7 wrote: You have a point with Gears though as the library doesn't have Gears 2 or 3 with 360 (they have 4 and 5 for the XB One). I'll figure it out once I get to the Gears series (maybe just a cheap used copy), whenever that is lol.
Just mentioning that you should get Gears 2 and 3! The original trilogy IMO are arguably the best in the entire series. Gears 4 and 5 are technical showpieces and play very well. Hivebusters is especially impressive. But in terms of cast of characters, dark/depressing/angering story arcs, level design, and game flow/progression, the original trilogy are far superior!

You'll also realise playing 4 and 5 that the new kids are just a bunch of whiners compared to what Marcus, Cole, Baird, and co. went through. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Guru
Jul 5, 2001
10109 posts
12727 upvotes
Toronto
BernardRyder wrote: Opposite I think, and definitely at this point. I'm pretty choosy so lots of the stuff I have is quality gaming, so the first 10 minutes or hours is never a problem. At this point adding to my PlayStation backlog with a different console with more games just so I'd have to use more time to figure out if I like a GamePass game doesn't make sense. And what happens when I find a game I like? It will end up being something else on the backlog, unless it is a 10 minutes game Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
I don't really chase trophies that hard, but I will try to get the ones I think are realistic for me. If I miss them it's no big loss. And if you finish games rarely, why don't you try the strategy? I found once I finished a game, it actually made me want to move on to another one. Finishing can inspire you to keep playing.
My point was that with GP you don't need that upfront investment to purchase the game and then realize you don't like it.

Just yesterday:

1) Checked out new GP games
2) Saw "I Am Fish"
3) Downloaded it
4) Played it for 5mins - realized it was crap
5) Deleted it
6) Saw "SkateBird"
Repeat 3) - 5)

For the most part, I don't finish games because I lose interest in them (whether it's because they are too long or because something else has captured my interest). Case in point, I pre-ordered Metro Exodus played it for 10mins and couldn't get into it. Came back to it months later and started spending time on it, then a bunch of other games came out. Part of it too is that I only play in the evenings, which is when all my friends are online too and so 90% of the time on Xbox is multiplayer.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2006
1962 posts
1140 upvotes
Nova Scotia
9394 wrote:
For the most part, I don't finish games because I lose interest in them (whether it's because they are too long or because something else has captured my interest). Case in point, I pre-ordered Metro Exodus played it for 10mins and couldn't get into it. Came back to it months later and started spending time on it, then a bunch of other games came out. Part of it too is that I only play in the evenings, which is when all my friends are online too and so 90% of the time on Xbox is multiplayer.
This pretty much sums up how I game now. Just not enough time and too many things going on. It will get so much worse when hockey starts in a couple weeks. In the Summer I feel guilty playing when the weather is so enjoyable. So far I have started and invested some time in

Mad Max - PS5 10+ hours and no idea if I will ever finish it.
Psychonauts - Xbox 2 hours in and hope to finish some day
Wolfenstein New Order - PC - Steam - 10 hours in and loving it. Played it on the Xbox back in 2014 but for some reason playing 4k @60 is amazing and worth a 2nd play.

The only issue I find with GP is that I have some pressure to finish the game before it gets yanked. Should probably prioritize my gaming and time but its difficult when my main love is FPS. Don't get me started on COD MW2019. Too much time.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
9394 wrote: My point was that with GP you don't need that upfront investment to purchase the game and then realize you don't like it.

Just yesterday:

1) Checked out new GP games
2) Saw "I Am Fish"
3) Downloaded it
4) Played it for 5mins - realized it was crap
5) Deleted it
6) Saw "SkateBird"
Repeat 3) - 5)

My kids love Skatebird - same janky ass physics as maybe the earliest Tony Hawk games, but who doesn't love a bird on a skateboard decked out in shades and fun hats?!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
quicksilver7 wrote: This pretty much sums up how I game now. Just not enough time and too many things going on. It will get so much worse when hockey starts in a couple weeks. In the Summer I feel guilty playing when the weather is so enjoyable. So far I have started and invested some time in

Mad Max - PS5 10+ hours and no idea if I will ever finish it.
Psychonauts - Xbox 2 hours in and hope to finish some day
Wolfenstein New Order - PC - Steam - 10 hours in and loving it. Played it on the Xbox back in 2014 but for some reason playing 4k @60 is amazing and worth a 2nd play.

The only issue I find with GP is that I have some pressure to finish the game before it gets yanked. Should probably prioritize my gaming and time but its difficult when my main love is FPS. Don't get me started on COD MW2019. Too much time.
Are you getting Vanguard? Thoughts on the Beta?

I loved MW2019 but I'm very wary about Vanguard right now. I guess we'll see how it shapes up, and I'll most likely get it anyway, but I don't know if it'll do the same for me what MW did in terms of re-igniting my love for COD.
Deal Guru
Jul 5, 2001
10109 posts
12727 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote: My kids love Skatebird - same janky ass physics as maybe the earliest Tony Hawk games, but who doesn't love a bird on a skateboard decked out in shades and fun hats?!
Well, I didn't say my kids tried it out, I said I did. Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2006
1962 posts
1140 upvotes
Nova Scotia
M1GOmigs wrote: Are you getting Vanguard? Thoughts on the Beta?

I loved MW2019 but I'm very wary about Vanguard right now. I guess we'll see how it shapes up, and I'll most likely get it anyway, but I don't know if it'll do the same for me what MW did in terms of re-igniting my love for COD.
I will 99% get it since my MW2019 buddy already pre ordered. I refuse to and want to wait for a bit of a deal. I watched him play the Beta....it's ok and I did enjoy WWII but 2019 put that to shame. I always have fun running and gunning in 2019.
If Vanguard has good maps and keep most of the things i like in 2019 I will go for it. Cold War is trash.