Health & Wellness

Constant back pain, help me find a better mattress?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2019 10:05 am
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
7003 posts
4013 upvotes
do you drink alot? could be your liver...
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
2689 posts
272 upvotes
Time to see a physiotherapist or chiropractor
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7806 posts
1066 upvotes
Toronto
Try inversion table, back massage, yoga/stretching, chiropractic/atlas manipulation, neck support pillow, ergonomic office chair, strengthen abdominals etc
Banned
Dec 6, 2016
10 posts
5 upvotes
mpt wrote:
Sep 8th, 2018 12:05 am
Time to see a physiotherapist or chiropractor
Chiropractic is documented pseudoscience; this is further compounded by the fact that chiropractic "adjustments" can exacerbate spinal conditions.

Seriously, don't ever go to a chiropractor for your spine.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3442 posts
140 upvotes
A mix of chiropractor adjustments and massages help my lower back pain. And, of course, working out on a regular basis.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8992 posts
1130 upvotes
Toronto
Thermarest air mattresses. Get the LuxuryMap which is one of the thickest version.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5045-944/ ... eeping-Pad

It's for camping but that model is really glamping.

My elder Mom uses it, both my wife and I use it for over 15 yrs now, the SAME one, I can adjust the firmness and it's never changed shape. Best $200 I ever spent on a mattress. I wake up every day with no back pain.

We bring it everywhere. Sleep over at grandparents place, or on a road trip so I don't have to sleep on weird hotel mattresses.

I bought it at MEC
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11430 posts
1481 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
I would make sure there is nothing wrong with you physically first. Full check up, xrays, etc to rule out any medical reason. Many conditions can cause upper back pain - as said kidney problems, liver issues, joint issues, structural problems, costos chondritis, et al. If everything turns out normal then consider the way you sleep. A change in pillow which raises the height of your neck will correct your sleeping posture for example. Incorrect sleeping posture can cause muscular and tendon strain. Over time this can cause pain. Good luck.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Jan 28, 2009
100 posts
22 upvotes
Make sure you have a good pillow that supports your head and neck in a neutral position. They have special pillows that you can purchase which are specifically designed for side sleepers (your head is in a different position when sleeping on your back or stomach).

Also, one thing that my doctor told me for relieving back pain is to have a small pillow between your knees when in the side sleeping position. This helps align your legs, hips and spine with your neck. Try that to see if it helps. They also sell special pillows for your knees, but I would try a regular pillow first to see if it helps.

Finally, I was also given a set of stretches to perform before getting out of bed. This helps release any tension and distribute spinal fluid that may have built up in the back muscles/vertebrae prior to getting up and bearing weight on my spine. Try grabbing your knee with your leg bent and rotating a few circles clockwise and then counter-clockwise. Follow up with your other knee, and then finally with both knees. Think hugging your knee while rotating legs.

Hope this advice is of use to you. Good luck! Back pain sucks.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8992 posts
1130 upvotes
Toronto
Thermarest mattresses. Its for camping but get the high end models like

Luxury map

https://www.amazon.ca/Thermarest-040818 ... psc=1&th=1

My entire family has it and it's amazing. Including my elder parents

I put it on top of my bed mattress. Had it for 12 years and hasn't changed a bit. Unlike mattresses that sag.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
7003 posts
4013 upvotes
5”11 and 200 pounds?

Unless your a gym rat you are very overweight likely...I think you need to change your diet and hit the gym harder.

You should test your body fat regularly... weight doesn’t matter as much as body fat does... by the sounds you are definitely in 20s somewhere and considered overweight.

Shed a little weight and you may feel better...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
9832 posts
1459 upvotes
You have back pain for months, you are losing sleep and you tried a few mattresses already. Did you discuss your conditions with your doctor yet? Did you try to sleep on the floor again?
hyph3n wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2018 5:43 pm
So in last 1.5 years i have changed 3 mattresses so far. The latest mattress that I have tried is Endy's. For first few days i slept well on the mattress but now when i sleep, I woke up with a back pain. the back pain is mostly on the upper side of the back (between shoulder blade). I am a side sleeper. I never had this issue before but then again, before i used to sleep on the floor.

How can i find what mattress would be good for me? Is there a way that I can do some sleeping test? Or some recommendations from some professional? It's been months that i haven't been able to sleep for more than 5 hours a day ... I wake up sleepy and cranky. Any advise will be appreciated.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
7849 posts
1223 upvotes
Winnipeg
Its a pinched nerve between the shoulders. Its super common and happens to most people who slept awkward on one side.Those are painful. Not herniated discs painful but spiky painful, hard to lift the arm painful.

physio and gabba is what the doc will prescribe if its stayed that way for weeks. You could go for a deep muscle massage which will probably fix it up faster.
Nov 16, 2006
691 posts
162 upvotes
Somewhere between Mi…
Try a night at a time at a nice hotel like the Fairmont or Westin and see what they are using (and selling new) if it works for you.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3453 posts
1499 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
hyph3n wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2018 5:43 pm
So in last 1.5 years i have changed 3 mattresses so far. The latest mattress that I have tried is Endy's. For first few days i slept well on the mattress but now when i sleep, I woke up with a back pain. the back pain is mostly on the upper side of the back (between shoulder blade). I am a side sleeper. I never had this issue before but then again, before i used to sleep on the floor.

How can i find what mattress would be good for me? Is there a way that I can do some sleeping test? Or some recommendations from some professional? It's been months that i haven't been able to sleep for more than 5 hours a day ... I wake up sleepy and cranky. Any advise will be appreciated.
The only way i finally stop getting back pain while sleeping is using this method.

Try it for a couple nights OP

draw your legs up slightly toward your chest and put a pillow between your legs. Use a full-length body pillow if you prefer.

Banned
Dec 9, 2018
29 posts
1 upvote
This is just wonderful how OP ask things and people advise things. Obviously, the reason of pain is not a mattress and not a pillow even. First thing to do was to visit a doctor, duh. Why are some people so careless when it comes to their own help?