Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 30, 2017
75 posts
16 upvotes

Constipation? Fear? Both? Help.

Hi guys.

I have an almost 4 year old who hasnt had a bowel movement in 5 days now. I believe he probably got a cut back there, or had strained causing constipation and pain. He is totally fearful of going to the toilet now. Whenever he does he starts balling because it hurts. For the past 3 days or so he lays down all the time because that is what he finds comfortable. He complains of it hurting when pees also, but I think he gets the urge to poop when he pees, so he freaks out. The past few days hes been walking around randomly crying out and creaming about pain. I hate seeing like this, as would anyone, so we took him to the docs. Doc didnt seem too worried that its been 5 days without a BM. Doc said hes just constipated and recommended restoralax for 1 mnth. We started him on it last night. Doc also said we can try something called an enema? It goes up the rectum and loosens the stool or something like that.

Anyways he is screaming in pain every 10mins each day and is is now not eating anything at all. We have to force liquids on him. When hes not in pain he seema normal. Laying down on his tablet laughing...then all of a sudden hes break into teara because of the pressure.

Any tips or anyone else experience this? Thanks for the help.
16 replies
Sep 3, 2013
693 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe try the enema now. He won't have much appetite cos things are not moving down there and he will feel full. The enema can work almost instantly to couple of hours. You may need to do it again in a day or so to make sure everythig is 'cleansed'.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7460 posts
934 upvotes
Toronto
Go with your doctor recommendation.
Get the laxative in him with liquids sooner than later.
If he is stubborn about avoiding oral stuff a last resort may be glycerin suppositories but limit it to just one.
Keep in mind you may need to keep the child on the laxative for a few days to ensure the colon has time to revert to normality and heal.
When normal bowel movements return, look at adding more fibre via more fruits and vegetables.
Also lots of water as hotter weather approaches vs caffeine filled pop etc.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1162 posts
473 upvotes
I would agree with the doctor, you need to get things moving. My oldest when she was really young would get constipated for days, and be very uncomfortable. She at lots of fruits and veggies too. I hated the idea of an enema. Before I did one, I would give her prune juice, and puree (even as a toddler). That seemed to help. I usually did that on day three , so maybe try a combination of that and if not by the night an enema,
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
3929 posts
794 upvotes
Sask.
We went through this with our son, too, at a similar age -but not as bad as you make it sound with your son.
We gave him prune juice, used bran on whatever we could, and just upped fiber in anything else. Tons of liquids.

Hoping it gets better for him soon.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8070 posts
688 upvotes
We went through this starting around September last year. We have no idea how it started. Similar issues as you. Saw our pediatrician. Came up with a game plan. But no joke, was a 9 month battle.

-keep a calendar
-use laxatives
-feed lots of fiber. Keep that poo soft
-use a squatty potty
-use distractions or rewards if it works for you.

We had to sit in the bathroom every day to encourage the poo process. Lots of support for confidence. Empathy if there was pain. Squatty potty (or similar process) to help with the flow. 9 months later we're pretty much over it but it has been a tough process.
Jan 8, 2009
658 posts
290 upvotes
GTA
To be honest, I find it a little strange that your doc recommended Restoralax. It takes a few days to work, requires the child to drink a lot of liquids or otherwise it'll exacerbate the problem and usually isn't the first line of defense with kids.

It's especially not a good idea for him to be taking the Restoralax if he's not getting liquids into him.

If you're game, I would try Lansoyl (lubricates things and makes them move much easier): https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/lansoyl-ra ... 0076440103 - but you can find it at any drugstore - and Senokot syrup: http://senokot.ca/senokot-syrup.php (again, can find at any drugstore) which is an actual stool softener.

You can talk to the pharmacist if you're concerned about either and ask for a dosing schedule. You could keep up with the Lansoyl until your child has been having easy movements for a while and no longer connects them with pain. Do NOT give the Senokot on a regular basis unless okayed by your doctor.

As others have said, lots of fruit, lots of veggies, lots of liquids (that are not milk), lots of water especially. Physical exercise is good too but make sure you're close to a toilet so he can go as soon as his body says he has to. Good luck. We dealt with this for a number of years on and off and they do grow out of it.
Oct 15, 2008
131 posts
46 upvotes
Windsor
Prunes - prune juice or prune baby food (can get it in a pouch like an apple sauce). We've had the same issues with our kids from time to time. They can control their body (to some extent) but once they need to have a BM, they are scared as its going to hurt (from their experience). We worked at getting them to understand it is a daily (or every other day) function. We put stickers on the calendar when they had a BM as they don't remember/understand how long it has been since they went. Depending, they are fearful of the pain (see prunes at end of day 2 - no go at our house = prunes) or they are bored in the washroom. We originally let them take something to do, but then they forgot their purpose. Praise, poop stickers and prunes are my advice. Best of luck!
[OP]
Apr 30, 2017
75 posts
16 upvotes
Kayceern wrote:
May 7th, 2017 12:16 pm
Maybe try the enema now. He won't have much appetite cos things are not moving down there and he will feel full. The enema can work almost instantly to couple of hours. You may need to do it again in a day or so to make sure everythig is 'cleansed'.
Thanks all for all the helpful advice! I actually went straight to the enema. The 15min waiting period afterwards was horrific. He started screaming like it was eating away at his stomach! But as soon as he sat on the toilet, it flushed out. The smile on his face afterwards had me cracking up. Never seen anything like it! lol. Hes had 3 bowel movements today and it was very diarrhea like. Im assuming the prune juice and restoralax is taking effect. So I kept him him today to let him get it all out. Im sure tomorrow will be the same as well. Hoping it runs it course and resets back to normal. Hopefully this isnt a 9mnth battle for me!! He was himself today, eating,drinking and acting CRAZY. So I was very happy with how the enema worked so far.

Thanks for all the advice I appreciate it. High fibre,lots of water, fruit and veggies up the a$$ from now on! lol
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1162 posts
473 upvotes
torontocityboy wrote:
May 8th, 2017 9:42 pm

Thanks for all the advice I appreciate it. High fibre,lots of water, fruit and veggies up the a$$ from now on! lol
Ummm.... I don't think that they are suppose to go UP the @$$. , I thought that was down. Winking Face

I am glad he is feeling better. Yeah, just keep the diet regulated.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Jan 8, 2009
658 posts
290 upvotes
GTA
Macx2mommy wrote:
May 9th, 2017 8:50 am
Ummm.... I don't think that they are suppose to go UP the @$$. , I thought that was down. Winking Face

I am glad he is feeling better. Yeah, just keep the diet regulated.
Just be aware that you should keep working with your doctor if he continues having issues. When our daughter was having problems there was nothing more we could do diet-wise. She drank a ton of liquids, preferred fruits and veggies to anything else, did a ton of running and sports and still had issues. Some kids do and the pain (and then the anticipated pain) keeps them from going. We did the lansoyl & senokot thing for a few years (I was concerned about the senokot but the pediatrican assured us it would be fine, that it was such a small dosage) and by the time she was in school full days everything had pretty much resolved itself. Occasionally she'd have a problem and we'd do a night or two of senokot and then she'd be fine again.
[OP]
Apr 30, 2017
75 posts
16 upvotes
jrbb0309 wrote:
May 9th, 2017 10:22 am
Just be aware that you should keep working with your doctor if he continues having issues. When our daughter was having problems there was nothing more we could do diet-wise. She drank a ton of liquids, preferred fruits and veggies to anything else, did a ton of running and sports and still had issues. Some kids do and the pain (and then the anticipated pain) keeps them from going. We did the lansoyl & senokot thing for a few years (I was concerned about the senokot but the pediatrican assured us it would be fine, that it was such a small dosage) and by the time she was in school full days everything had pretty much resolved itself. Occasionally she'd have a problem and we'd do a night or two of senokot and then she'd be fine again.
Thanks for the tips. Im definitely going to keep an eye on it moving forward. Hes pretty much back to normal today. Happy about that.
Hopefully it isnt a chronic issue. Hes very active, eats well and is healthy, but I guess you never know.
Jan 26, 2014
57 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
For my 3.5 year old boy I give him a chewable probiotic from Jameson. He will poo within a few hours. Sweet dried prunes also helps if your child likes them.
Sep 3, 2013
693 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
I'm so glad the enema worked! It's definitely not a med you should be using on a regular basis but it 90% of the time works for severe constipation.
Mar 1, 2018
40 posts
4 upvotes
Happy for you.

In many cases, the culprit of toddler constipation is a diet that's too heavy in sweets & processed & fatty foods & too light in fiber. Not getting enough fluid can also lead to constipation.
So, boost your child's fiber intake (like whole grains, fruits, and vegetables), increase the amount of fluid your child gets each day.
Moving the body keeps the bowels moving, too. Make sure your toddler gets out to play for at least 30 to 60 minutes a day.

The laxatives & enema should only be the last resort.