• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2009 1:46 pm
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24866 posts
2456 upvotes
Ottawa

Consumer Report Tire Ratings

I am not saying this is the best rating system but they have been around for a long time and are as credible as any and probably more than most. Anyway, here are the top 3 tire ratings. They come from the November issue of Consumer Report Canada. It is their Top 300 Product issue. ($6.99 at your local magazine store)

All Season Tires (S and T speed rated)
Michelin Hydroedge
Hankook Optima H727
Pirelli P4 Four Seasons

All Season Tires (H speed rated)
Michelin Primacy MXV4
Falken Zeix ZE912
Nokian WR G2

All Season Tires (V speed rated)
Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S
Firestone Firehawki GTv
Bridgestone Turanza Serenity

Winter Tires
Michelin IceX XI2
General Altima Arctic
Nokian Hakkapelitta

There are many more tires than the top 3. Buy the magazine for an explanation on the ratings and the testing. They have nothing to gain by these ratings, they don't sell tires or anything except a magazine. No debating the magazine, its rating or it's methodology, at least they do it an publish their findings.
20 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
19880 posts
1515 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2009 4:55 pm
I am not saying this is the best rating system but they have been around for a long time and are as credible as any and probably more than most. ... Buy the magazine for an explanation on the ratings and the testing. They have nothing to gain by these ratings, they don't sell tires or anything except a magazine. No debating the magazine, its rating or it's methodology, at least they do it an publish their findings.
I'm assuming these "disclaimers" were meant to shut people like me up before anything was said? :lol: :D
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
11890 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2009 6:00 pm
I'm assuming these "disclaimers" were meant to shut people like me up before anything was said? :lol: :D
Maybe so you don't spaz out :lol: :D
Deal with it.
Apr 23, 2009
242 posts
21 upvotes
Winter Tires
Michelin IceX XI2
General Altima Arctic
Nokian Hakkapelitta

I bought the Nokian Hakkapelitta R for this winter, will see if it worth all the hype that I read.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24866 posts
2456 upvotes
Ottawa
ES_Revenge wrote:
KorruptioN wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2009 6:18 pm
Maybe so you don't spaz out :lol: :D
I will be a bit more polite but in essence, yes. :lol:
There is so much opinion on tires on this board that I figured that an independent test authority may shed some light.
I have seen the argument that Consumers Report is a commie conspiracy and so on but nonetheless, they are not a tire store, retailer or manufacturer so there is nothing for them to gain.
Like I said, there are many more tires on the list, if you want more detail you can buy the magazine. Lots of other interesting stuff in it too.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
3495 posts
281 upvotes
Supposedly they are supposed to bias free

but I find their car ratings sometimes to be a bit skewed vs. other sources.

You don't find it odd, that michelin tops all the categories?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5450 posts
288 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
ES_Revenge wrote:
haha, Consumer Reports, research for the lazy and stupid.

Anyways, really?! OMG michellin?! :o
Regards,
--
m4gician
I like to detail cars. If you have any detailing questions I'd love to help! Tweet or Email anytime!
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2631 posts
243 upvotes
evoviii wrote:
Oct 24th, 2009 1:08 am

Or like how Kenmore products win virtually every single appliance challenge... CR does some weird bias.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2004
4181 posts
4 upvotes
Markham
Can't argue with the Nokian Hakkapelitta recommendation. Loving them so far going into 3rd season.
Silver Bullet IX
Corsair 750D | Corsair AX 850W | Core i7 4790K | Noctua NH-D14 | Asus Z97 Pro Wifi | GigaByte GTX970 G1 | Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB | Intel 720 480GB | 2 x WD RED 3TB in RAID 1 | LG BluRay | 3 x 2413WFP
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
3396 posts
420 upvotes
Mississauga
evoviii wrote:

m4gician wrote:
Oct 24th, 2009 1:49 am

But even on TireRack those Michelin tires are rated quite high. They charge a premium, but they do make some great tires.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2006
2055 posts
74 upvotes
evoviii wrote:

Even if michelin doesnt deserve to top all categories...they do make very good tires depending on the model.

Anyway, few years back I researched CR prior to buying tires and saw BFgoodrich rated very high. I went out and bought 4. Worst set of tires I have ever owned. Worse than no name brands. Tires were LOUD, grip was mediocre at best, wore out within 40,000 km. After which I went back with toyo.....what a difference.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
11890 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
Billa-786 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2009 3:15 am
Even if michelin doesnt deserve to top all categories...they do make very good tires depending on the model.

Anyway, few years back I researched CR prior to buying tires and saw BFgoodrich rated very high. I went out and bought 4. Worst set of tires I have ever owned. Worse than no name brands. Tires were LOUD, grip was mediocre at best, wore out within 40,000 km. After which I went back with toyo.....what a difference.
Like you said so yourself, it totally depends on the model. Every manufacturer makes their cheap disposable garbage, just as much as they make flagship, high-quality rubber. Bridgestone has the RE92 bottom end, and their RE-11 at the top. Goodyear has the Eagle RS-A at the bottom, their F1 at the top.
Deal with it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5670 posts
162 upvotes
GTA
evoviii wrote:

I thought the same thing, but then again I've owned the HydroEdge and the Pilot Alpine winter tires (very similar to the Xice2) and yes they were the best tires I've every owned!!!!!

Worst tires, Continentals (OEM) on my Escape and the BF Goodrich (OEM's) that came with my wifes Highlander!!!!

sk
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24866 posts
2456 upvotes
Ottawa
evoviii wrote:

What other sources?
Why skewed? Because you don't agree? Because the tests are different than others?,
For Michelin (no, I don't have them) as others have noted, the tire models and styles change annually and this year, perhaps Michelin has the top tires? It is possible
m4gician wrote:
Oct 24th, 2009 1:49 am
And your better sources are? Oh, a tire store, retailer or, manufacturers site? Show me any other comprehensive tests (or just any series of tests and evaluations) on tires that is independent and tests against as many other tires and tests them all against the same criteria.

If you CR haters have better sources or better results or better tests with conclusions, please, bring them on. Get them out, provide your sources. All you guys ever do is crap on the CR findings without any other alternatives.
All the folks that ever worked for me understood there are problems all around, but do not come to me with only complaints, come to me with solutions too. Naysayers and complainers are a dime a dozen but problem solvers are hard to find.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3004 posts
142 upvotes
Ottawa
Every testing group has its bias and, yes, CR has its own - what they are not is influenced by advertising; instead, they are influenced by their subscriber base and by their quest to expand it.

Their car reliability rating database is so influenced. Although it's a large database, it is a self-contained one and therefore has a built-in statistical integrity weakness. IOW, people who are attracted to CR's ratings and values are the subscribers who subsequently rate the cars. And CR markets the poop out of the survey to attract more like-minded subscribers. Does that invalidate the database's conclusions? No - for a car shopper looking for information, CR's survey is another source of information. Still, we cannot point to the survey as a pantheon of statiscal integrity that sheds light on universal truths.

As for its tests, even choosing what characteristics to test and how to weight them involves value choices and that indicates a "bias". Is it a deliberate bias to favour one manufacturer over another? Probably not. Still, I suspect that these value choices (when designing their rating guide) are made in consideration of what the testers like. This is absolutely fine for the majority of shoppers who are looking for the same things.

As for tires, I suspect that CR's testers would be as good as anybody. There are, though, other sources of tire testing information out there - just not as comprehensive as this one. For the most part, I'm comfortable with the OP's post and can vouch for the X-Ice Xi-2s. Great tires!
× < >