• Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2018 3:42 pm
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 21, 2004
49329 posts
14589 upvotes

Consumer Reports: Lexus tops Turbo Engine Reliability

Just Lexus' 8AR-FTS (IS, NX, etc.) and not the V35A-FTS in the LS.

Troubles With Turbo Engine Reliability
CR's exclusive reliability data can point you to the brands and models you can depend on and those you should steer clear of
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rel ... liability/

https://lexusenthusiast.com/forums/thre ... lity.4824/
Always true for Lexus. Most modern turbo engines aim at 25bar BMEP and 100kw/L specific output but Lexus tragets 90% of these values, it should be no surprise they are guanranteed an edge on reliability. It's not that they couldn't make competitive power; they choose to not make maximum power out of their engine.

And not surprised to see Mini at the bottom. A highly stressed turbo Inline-3 with 500cc/cyl, nothing could possibly go wrong right?
14 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3406 posts
2142 upvotes
Toronto
No surprise there. Lexus has always been the "safe buy" luxury car.
FreezingCanada wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2015 5:41 pm
We voted him in as God of RFD last month. Where were you during elections...?
May 21, 2015
679 posts
329 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
And in the same issue the Subaru Ascent topples the Toyota Highlander
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10170 posts
4293 upvotes
Brampton
Modern Lexus and Toyotas are also super unpopular with tuners because their ECUs are super tough to crack. That helps with reliability too.

That said this list has Subaru, BMW and Audi ahead of the average, so I can only conclude this report is full of shit.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2236 posts
832 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
tebore wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 9:22 pm
That said this list has Subaru, BMW and Audi ahead of the average, so I can only conclude this report is full of shit.
You must be one of the CR haters. Did they trash your car?

As for the turbos, I'm not surprised about the Chevy Malibu. I was considering one but was warned by two mechanic friends to stay away from their little 1.5 turbo engine. They have a short life span.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
11437 posts
7159 upvotes
Richmond Hill
tebore wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 9:22 pm
Modern Lexus and Toyotas are also super unpopular with tuners because their ECUs are super tough to crack. That helps with reliability too.

LOL I'm going to have to agree with this. FOS is right, come on BMW/Audi and Subaru at the top HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
2072 posts
636 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 7:16 pm
Just Lexus' 8AR-FTS (IS, NX, etc.) and not the V35A-FTS in the LS.

Troubles With Turbo Engine Reliability
CR's exclusive reliability data can point you to the brands and models you can depend on and those you should steer clear of
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rel ... liability/

https://lexusenthusiast.com/forums/thre ... lity.4824/
Always true for Lexus. Most modern turbo engines aim at 25bar BMEP and 100kw/L specific output but Lexus tragets 90% of these values, it should be no surprise they are guanranteed an edge on reliability. It's not that they couldn't make competitive power; they choose to not make maximum power out of their engine.

And not surprised to see Mini at the bottom. A highly stressed turbo Inline-3 with 500cc/cyl, nothing could possibly go wrong right?

- How come Porsche and Audi can have engines that have better performance and as good reliability???

- CR also rates Honda's turbo engine better than ave. non turbo engine!?!
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 21, 2004
49329 posts
14589 upvotes
Bb0231 wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 11:17 pm

- How come Porsche and Audi can have engines that have better performance and as good reliability???

I read the comments after the CR article and one pointed out that the result is based on actual cars they bought (or loaned) so it's possible they got better batches of Porsches and Audis and regular batches of VWs. :)
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10513 posts
9709 upvotes
Oakville
And how can Lincoln be so much worse than Ford? They're the exact same engines.

And Audi reliable? uhmm.. except for the recall on my wife's Q5's 2.0L to fix an aux coolant pump for risk of fire, and this is the second recall.

Any Honda at the top? lol, wtf.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
23347 posts
8284 upvotes
Toronto
^ CR must have tested out just the civic type R 2l engine ONLY and then called it the day. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
32774 posts
7016 upvotes
Ottawa
Bb0231 wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 11:17 pm

Interesting that Hyundai is so bad and Kia is so much better considering they are the same engine ???
CR says " Hyundai uses a seven-speed transmission to save gas and improve performance. Some members also told us that the transmission had problems."...is that a factor in their turbo engine reliability rating or is it just engine?
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
11437 posts
7159 upvotes
Richmond Hill
As usual CR is a shit show. I can never take them seriously.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2236 posts
832 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
EP32k2 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 10:25 am
As usual CR is a shit show. I can never take them seriously.
They trashed one of your cars too? What make was it?
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
11437 posts
7159 upvotes
Richmond Hill
poleman wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 11:38 am
They trashed one of your cars too? What make was it?
BMW and Porsche, although I'll say that they are probably accurate with Porsche. BMW at the top? Come on.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
2072 posts
636 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 12:37 am
I read the comments after the CR article and one pointed out that the result is based on actual cars they bought (or loaned) so it's possible they got better batches of Porsches and Audis and regular batches of VWs. :)
If you follow the link you posted to CR site:
"our annual Auto Reliability Survey, which polls CR members about their experience with more than 500,000"

It further mentions two instances:
"Some owners in our survey reported various problems with the 3.0-liter turbo V6 engine in the Lincoln MKZ sedan and with the Hyundai Tucson’s 1.6-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine. With that engine, Hyundai uses a seven-speed transmission to save gas and improve performance. Some members also told us that the transmission had problems."