• Jan 12th, 2012 4:45 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
1804 posts
283 upvotes

Consumer Reports rates Truck/SUV winter tires

[IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/33w1m40.jpg[/IMG]

Obviously the chart shouldn't be the only deciding factor, but it could help in your decision-making process. I personally have the Altimax Arctic (good cost/performance ratio) and couldn't be happier.
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7050 posts
849 upvotes
Alberta
Thanks. Can you provide a copy of the review comments by CR as well?

I too have a set of the General Altimax Arctics studded on my truck....very happy after one season.

Dave
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5763 posts
458 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
Can you also provide a legend to show me what the red and black shapes mean in terms of good or bad?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
1804 posts
283 upvotes
There are no review comments in the article, just the same general yadda-yadda they repeat every year.

They did however offer the following suggestions:

Best balance of winter traction and stopping grip on cleared roads:
C1 Continental ExtremeWinterContact
C2 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R Sport Utility
C3 Altimax Arctic
C5 Geolander i/T G072

Best for severe-winter traction:
C4 Michelin Latitude X-Ice XI 2
C6 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1

The full red circle is the highest rating, the full black circle is the lowest. Everything else is in-between, with the empty circle being average.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
1530 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
abstract808 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2011 2:13 pm
There are no review comments in the article, just the same general yadda-yadda they repeat every year.

C3 Altimax Arctic
C5 Geolander i/T G072

The full red circle is the highest rating, the full black circle is the lowest. Everything else is in-between, with the empty circle being average.
Thanks for the post,
are you able to post one for passenger cars...?

performance winter tires & regular winter tires from CR?!?!?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7050 posts
849 upvotes
Alberta
lumlum1013 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2011 4:14 pm
Thanks for the post,
are you able to post one for passenger cars...?

performance winter tires & regular winter tires from CR?!?!?

There was a report by CR on winter passenger tires a couple of years ago....it's floating around RFD. Michelin XIce Xi2 was rated 1st. General Altimax Arctic was 2nd.

I am a bit surprised that the Blizzak (DM-V1) and Toyo Open Country G02 Plus didn't do better in the rankings. The budget priced Firestone Winterforce UV is bringing up the rear isn't a surprise either...they are/were a price leader for a reason.

Yokohama Geolander's less than expected performance on ice braking is another surprise...truck version of the Ice Guard is not ideally named.

Dave
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2005
2138 posts
2652 upvotes
Toronto
abstract808 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2011 2:13 pm

C3 Altimax Arctic
C5 Geolander i/T G072

I can't decide between the Altimax Arctic or Blizzak DM-V1 for my CX-9 AWD... I have the Generals on a Versa and they're pretty good, and their wear is impressive after one season (still have nearly full tread). But we get some nasty winter conditions here in Montreal and based on the above the Blizzaks are probably better suited for that.
Nothing to see here folks...
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2005
2138 posts
2652 upvotes
Toronto
Darn, CR only reviewed the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R SUV tires (non-studded) and not the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 SUV tires (studded).

Got a set of used 245/65R17 studded Hakka 5s on Kijiji with 10/32" tread left on them and was wondering how they stack up against the other winter tires.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7050 posts
849 upvotes
Alberta
loonieryan wrote:
Jan 12th, 2012 3:56 pm
Darn, CR only reviewed the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R SUV tires (non-studded) and not the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 SUV tires (studded).

Got a set of used 245/65R17 studded Hakka 5s on Kijiji with 10/32" tread left on them and was wondering how they stack up against the other winter tires.

Nokians tend to be highly rated winter tires. The only con on them are the higher cost (vs. other highly rated tires) and the limited number of dealers (Kal Tire in Western Canada).

Dave
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2005
2138 posts
2652 upvotes
Toronto
DavidY wrote:
Jan 12th, 2012 4:24 pm
Nokians tend to be highly rated winter tires. The only con on them are the higher cost (vs. other highly rated tires) and the limited number of dealers (Kal Tire in Western Canada).

Dave

I've had the General Altimax Arctics, Michelin X-Ice, Hankook I*Pikes, etc. but never tried Nokians to be honest. I got the set of 245/65R17 studded Hakkapeliitta 5s with 10/32" tread left for $400 and they seem to be in pretty good condition. Haven't mounted them on wheels yet because I'm still looking for a 17" x 7" wheel that'll fit on the CX-9. Looking forward to testing them out, especially since this will be my first AWD truck that I've ever owned.