• Jul 20th, 2015 2:31 pm
Banned
Mar 25, 2013
754 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
ippon wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2014 12:40 pm
Hi Contact, i have some questions about the promo.

1. i have an old D-link DSL-300T, about 6-7 years old, would it be compatible with the Double Infinite plan? i realise i won't get the 25/10 with my modem, nor even 15/1, but i'm interested in the unlimited bandwidth, and do not wish to invest in a vdsl modem until prices go down. is that modem compatible with 15/1 even???

2. i might be moving in 3 months. is it possible to post-date an installation for the service to begin in July?

gracias.
1. I wouldn't be able to tell you, but just so you know, you don't have to get your modem from us. As others have stated, there are a bunch of modems on classified sites for rather cheap.
2. absolutely, as long as you order between now and the end of april, you can schedule installation for any time in the future.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
985 upvotes
N/A
ContactISP wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2014 12:49 pm
1. I wouldn't be able to tell you, but just so you know, you don't have to get your modem from us. As others have stated, there are a bunch of modems on classified sites for rather cheap.
2. absolutely, as long as you order between now and the end of april, you can schedule installation for any time in the future.
it was implied earlier in the thread by someone that most of those vdsl modem deals on kijiji are scams.
if i get a ADSL2+ modem, which are plentiful and cheap, i can use that on Double Infinite plan, with lower speed?
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Nov 16, 2007
16 posts
1 upvote
Nepean
thanks for the info
sengook wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2014 12:12 pm
minor note is that FTTN is technically provided by some cable internet providers as well, it's just a provider internal network anyways, cable is just the connection from them to the house (as is the copper wire for DSL).

In the boonies such as london :p you'll have no choice in most areas to use 6/0.5 DSL or use cable that go up to 150/10 that's unstable (depends on area)

Easy-Hard 1: Put it in true bridge mode
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r282039 ... mode-guide

I don't rememebr if I did this for my sagemcom but I did put it into bridge mode.

Easy 1: Put it in "Bridge" mode. Supposedly factory settings on the Sagemcom 2864 will allow you to plug a router into the LAN port and connect using the router only easily.

Easy 2: Just connect the router in AP (Access Point) mode. Depends on the router but is generally simpler than you think. Simply search on google "How to put [insert name/brand of router you have ie. RT-AC66U] in AP mode".

I'm using the Sagemcom 2864 bridge mode (I probably did the first method but don't really remember) with the RT-AC66U, doing all the heavy work.

Difference between EH1/E1 (bridge mode) and E2 (using a router as an AP):
Bridge mode the router will do the connection configuration AND your internal network management (WiFi and Ethernet connections all will go here).
AP mode the router will ONLY handle the WiFi network (WiFi connects here, Ethernet can connect but generally isn't). The Modem (Sagemcom) will handle both the connection configuration and internal network management (both WiFi and Ethernet unless you disable - which is recommended - the internal WiFi and only use your router).

I'm not sure as I don't remember but I think putting the modem into bridge mode will lower the latency between the modem and the router, since the router is usually better suited and optimized for routing information (faster) doing so will return in a better more stable connection.

-----

Summary: Use bridge mode if it isn't working the way you want it to.
Banned
Mar 25, 2013
754 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
ippon wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2014 1:08 pm
it was implied earlier in the thread by someone that most of those vdsl modem deals on kijiji are scams.
if i get a ADSL2+ modem, which are plentiful and cheap, i can use that on Double Infinite plan, with lower speed?
No it will not function.
Apr 30, 2010
238 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
I dont know how dryloop is set-up but i want to get the 15/1 at an apartment. Im not sure if the technician needs access to the basement, only the superintendent can get in there. Can he install the internet without access to the room? Or will i have to let the superintendent know beforehand to let the technician in?
Banned
Mar 25, 2013
754 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
thegameplayer17 wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2014 1:39 pm
I dont know how dryloop is set-up but i want to get the 15/1 at an apartment. Im not sure if the technician needs access to the basement, only the superintendent can get in there. Can he install the internet without access to the room? Or will i have to let the superintendent know beforehand to let the technician in?
The technician should only need access to your home.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2009
1152 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto, ON
thegameplayer17 wrote:
To clarify what ContactISP means is that generally the technician can access everything they need outside of an apartment and then they just need to ensure that in the apartment the phone jack is connected through (usually is) and that there shouldn't be a problem.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2002
3380 posts
175 upvotes
Toronto
I just ordered and have it booked for next Thursday. Hopefully they don't touch my current FibeTV connection and put in a seperate line. I wanted to add the note in the order but it didn't allow me to do that.
Sep 4, 2010
322 posts
99 upvotes
Brampton
gregster64 wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2014 6:16 pm
wow, That seems pretty excessive, I thought there was no contracts with them. Try pm him directly, maybe you guys can cut a deal.
Unfortunately, a PM will get you the same answer, $125 to cancel and get onto 25/10.

I still highly recommend those looking for a provider and not bound by a current contract consider this deal.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2009
1152 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Jeff146 wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2014 2:38 pm
I just ordered and have it booked for next Thursday. Hopefully they don't touch my current FibeTV connection and put in a seperate line. I wanted to add the note in the order but it didn't allow me to do that.
They will touch it. However, I don't see why it matters the FibeTV line uses the internet line. On the Sagemcom I think there was a setting so you could enable the IPTV Only, IPTV+Internet or Internet Only.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2010
3003 posts
746 upvotes
Mississauga
wtf, am I the only one that took the smartrg? lol, everyone just talks of the sagemcom
didnt realize that its an all in one as well, hope its easy to just place on bridge mode too
LF:
1. 25/35% off Freedom Mobile code

FS:
1. B-ready lower infant seat adapter - $40
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1068 posts
417 upvotes
Toronto
Hi Contact? How quick to switch to your service? I am using bell 25/10 now.
Deal Guru
Dec 17, 2001
11116 posts
4170 upvotes
Brossard, Quebec
Wish this was available in Quebec.
Aug 2, 2012
296 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
thegameplayer17 wrote:
If the VDSL internet ports are in the basement, he may need too. It's best to keep the call within the weekday between 8-5 PM when superintendents are working--unless you advise him/her ahead of time that you can get access there if need be.
Aug 2, 2012
296 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
Jeff146 wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2014 2:38 pm
They shouldn't touch it. They get assigned all new cable information.