Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Locked: [Contact.net] Double Infinite Contact *unlimited 25Mbps $29.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2015 2:31 pm
Jan 4, 2015
18 posts
5 upvotes
elty wrote: Contact was probably losing $15-$20 a month for the promo accounts. Of course people cry and whine because they cannot receive a below cost service indefinitely....
Source? Anyway if you had bothered to read the thread you'd have learnt that people are upset they did not receive (adequate) notification of price increase.
Nov 15, 2005
97 posts
16 upvotes
Troy_McClure wrote: Now take a look at your own terms of service:

1) when signing up one is identified the monthly rate at $29.95 with free dryloop and one time intallation fee at $25
2) however it states "or as otherwise identified to you by Your Service Provider from time to time"

When exactly was this increase identified to customers? By your own terms of service you MUST have done this. A "guarantee until dec.31.2014" can mean price stays the same, gets lower, or gets higher. If there is no change we did not need to be contacted, but since there was a change it should have been identified as such.

Again, the term that we are assuming that was used was "guaranteed until" which can mean three things
1) price stays the same
2) price becomes higher
3) price becomes lower
Only 2) and 3) must be identified to the customer by your own TOS.

The term "expires" (which we are assuming was not used) can mean
1) Price becomes higher
2) Price becomes lower
Both of which must be identified to the customer by your own TOS.

Guaranteed until does not mean expires on.
THIS. This is why I'm upset. I knew the pricing *might* change after Dec. 31st, so I was checking my email, the Contact.net website, and their Facebook page almost every day in December, but there was ZERO information about the new pricing until Dec. 29, when something popped up on the Facebook page. ONLY THREE BUSINESS DAYS LATER (Jan. 2nd), I was billed for $50.79. Are customers like myself seriously expected to make an informed decision about whether to stay or switch within 3 business days? Even if I hadn't been sick with the flu, switching internet requires cancelling one, signing up for another, and scheduling an appointment for the technician to set up the wiring. 3 business days - right before the new year - is totally unreasonable.
BST: 8+ 0-
May 5, 2007
103 posts
93 upvotes
Mississauga
mirkrim wrote: THIS. This is why I'm upset. I knew the pricing *might* change after Dec. 31st, so I was checking my email, the Contact.net website, and their Facebook page almost every day in December, but there was ZERO information about the new pricing until Dec. 29, when something popped up on the Facebook page. ONLY THREE BUSINESS DAYS LATER (Jan. 2nd), I was billed for $50.79. Are customers like myself seriously expected to make an informed decision about whether to stay or switch within 3 business days? Even if I hadn't been sick with the flu, switching internet requires cancelling one, signing up for another, and scheduling an appointment for the technician to set up the wiring. 3 business days - right before the new year - is totally unreasonable.
+1
May 5, 2007
103 posts
93 upvotes
Mississauga
Lokket wrote: Ouch. scammers will be scammers, some rfd'ers here are no better than cockroaches and will typically deny it when they get called out.
Stop saying your customer is scammers.
That is not the way doing business.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada
tall wrote: Stop saying your customers are scammers.
That is not the way doing business.
I believe he was warned by the moderators on his behavior and abusive language. Any more trolling and personal attacks and a ban may follow.

In this day and age any company that does not understand what negative effect viral marketing can be had on this business is doomed! That goes for any company and I've been running my own company for many years now. If you are in "service" business then you must provide good service and communicate with your clients. Who knows how many clients Contact had lost already and will be losing - all due to the lack communication that may have taken them 20-30 minutes to do. How can they expect us to recommend them to our family and friends when we don't even know how much we are paying or going to pay. We are left in a limbo, with no service. Those who've tried calling them, well know how you can easily spend an hour waiting for an agent and then still be hung up on or simply you hung up as you are tired of waiting. It's just not very professional.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
8556 posts
1056 upvotes
supremegrandruler wrote: Source? Anyway if you had bothered to read the thread you'd have learnt that people are upset they did not receive (adequate) notification of price increase.
First of all, Bell charge for dry loop, so Contact is really just eating the cost there.

Second, how much Bell charge for FTTN connections is regulated and approved by CRTC. The cost schedule is public knowledge. If you simply google "crtc bell wholesale price" you will find that a 25Mbps connection cost about $25 per month, then Contact needs to pay for bandwidth ($1000+ per concurrent 100Mbps pipe per month to Bell and external network partners) and also other administrative cost.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2013/2013-73.htm

I can see Contact was rather poor in handling the case (not sure how hard is it to at least post something a month prior the expiration of the promo), but do people seriously

1) Cannot see the "until Dec 31, 2014" statement, and
2) Expect a company to provide below cost service indefinitely?

Anyways, last I heard Bell and Rogers send out a nice price increase notification every year for those who really want to be properly notified....
a
Nov 15, 2005
97 posts
16 upvotes
elty wrote: Anyways, last I heard Bell and Rogers send out a nice price increase notification every year for those who really want to be properly notified....
If they give notice more than 2 business days in advance, then their customer service is already better than Contact.net's. As I said, there was literally ZERO notification until Dec. 29, which is only 2 days before the end of the promotion. The other key point is that nowhere was it mentioned HOW MUCH the price would change. If you were paying $50 for Rogers internet and then immediately after your contract ended they billed you for $75 - with only 2 days warning - wouldn't you be pissed off?
BST: 8+ 0-
Penalty Box
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1508 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
I don't mind this but please have someone available so i can ACTUALLY BE ABLE TO CANCEL.

few times i tried to call in today and gave up because it always gave me the busy tone. i.e. no hold, or dialing.
Banned
Dec 22, 2013
377 posts
100 upvotes
elty wrote: you simply google "crtc bell wholesale price" you will find that a 25Mbps connection cost about $25 per month
Contact ISP got a 3-months (i.e. 25%) full package refund from Bell last year as stated by Contact CEO earlier on ISPs conference, and right now CRTC reviews current wholesale internet prices again with the intent to further decrease. I don't see how manipulating promo terms, failing to put total fees and sub terms into Order Confirmation email, failing to provide advance notices for price hikes and hiding incoming price hikes from customers until the last minute, inflating install fees 4-fold from initial $25, raising total rates almost twice (why?), while throttling customers bandwidth 5-fold down during pick hours, failing to buy more bandwidth capacity from Bell while sharply increasing Contact customer base via promos, being rude on the phone, force clients to wait on the phone for 30+ min, and never answering client emails to avoid paper trails could possibly benefit their business other than creating a lot of negative web noise, forever preserved by Google, they didn't hear for awhile.

Yet again, as happen with Contact in the past, if CRTC slashes rates again this year and Contact gets a significant refund, they would hardly pass the savings onto their customers. All their customers got is price hike and bad customer service, while Contact among others pushes CRTC to get back at Bell and Rogers. Don't you think Contact is expected to refund customers 25% when Bell refunds them 25% or so due to their arguments that Contact customers are hit by... Bell? Yet another lawyers (or liars like Lokket put it) game? :confused:

Contact seems to be playing with government bodies one game, while shamelessly playing with customers straight the opposite game... who's next they'll play their game with?
Banned
Aug 1, 2014
70 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sambul92 wrote: Contact ISP got a 3-months (i.e. 25%) full package refund from Bell last year as stated by Contact CEO earlier on ISPs conference, and right now CRTC reviews current wholesale internet prices again with the intent to further decrease. I don't see how manipulating promo terms, hiding incoming price hike from customers until the last minute, inflating install terms raised 4-fold from initial $25 offer, raising total rates almost twice (why?), while more throttling customers bandwidth could possibly benefit their business other than creating a lot of negative web noise, forever preserved by Google, they didn't hear for awhile.

Yet again, as happen with Contact in the past, if CRTC slashes rates again this year and Contact gets a significant refund, they would hardly pass the savings onto their customers. All their customers got is price hike and bad customer service, while Contact among others pushes CRTC to get back at Bell and Rogers. Don't you think Contact is expected to refund customers 25% when Bell refunds them 25% or so due to their arguments that Contact customers are hit by... Bell? Yet another lawyers (or liars like Lokket put it) game? :confused:
Just because contactisp get a refund doesn't mean their customers automatically get a refund. there is no law or dictator forcing them to hand over the money. if you don't like it, then get a job and pay more money to swtich to another ISP.
There are some really pathetic and poor people here on RFD who think because they paid a little bit of money and bought something then they deserved to be treated like a king. If you want better service, don't be poor and pay for extra money for good service.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2011
3333 posts
1227 upvotes
Toronto
Let me try to address some points. Tell me if I haven't answered your question.
maytricks wrote: Just phoned in and they are giving me 34.95+tax / month until 2015. The invoice breakdown is 44.95 + 10.00 dryloop, then -$10 dryloop, and -$10 for internet service = 34.95.

They adjusted my invoice for january as well since I haven't been billed yet.

HOWEVER, they charged me $25 for 'change to account,' which I remember reading about but seems like a bit of a cash grab to me...

I'm slightly annoyed but the service has met my needs and I can't argue with unlimited bandwidth for under $40 for 2015...
PM contactISP, he said that he talked with the entire admin team about not charging $25, don't know why this is still happening.
elty wrote: Contact was probably losing $15-$20 a month for the promo accounts. Of course people cry and whine because they cannot receive a below cost service indefinitely....
No one is arguing this point. TOS clearly state that if cost changes, then we must be informed. By their own words, they have just started to explicitly state that prices will go back to regular price on their current promos. That is an acknowledgement by them that the previous term of "guaranteed until" was unclear. Finally, "guaranteed until" does not mean "expires on". More on this.
elty wrote: First of all, Bell charge for dry loop, so Contact is really just eating the cost there.

Second, how much Bell charge for FTTN connections is regulated and approved by CRTC. The cost schedule is public knowledge. If you simply google "crtc bell wholesale price" you will find that a 25Mbps connection cost about $25 per month, then Contact needs to pay for bandwidth ($1000+ per concurrent 100Mbps pipe per month to Bell and external network partners) and also other administrative cost.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2013/2013-73.htm

I can see Contact was rather poor in handling the case (not sure how hard is it to at least post something a month prior the expiration of the promo), but do people seriously

1) Cannot see the "until Dec 31, 2014" statement, and
2) Expect a company to provide below cost service indefinitely?

Anyways, last I heard Bell and Rogers send out a nice price increase notification every year for those who really want to be properly notified....
Exactly. Also
1) "guaranteed until" does not mean "expires on". More on this.
2) Nobody is arguing this. When price does change, we must be informed.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2011
3333 posts
1227 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone on the contact double infinite plan, take a look at your email confirmation when you signed up. It says "thanks for purchasing double infinite......." and the cost is indicated as:

Plan cost: $34.95 - $5
Installation cost: $XX

No mention of dryloop fees being discounted, No mention of what the cost will be after Dec.31.2014, No mention of even the plan cost being "guaranteed until" a certain date. Nothing.
Banned
Dec 22, 2013
377 posts
100 upvotes
Troy_McClure wrote: When price does change, we must be informed.
And when Contact gets a refund from Bell due to argument to CRTC that Contact customers are overcharged by... Bell and can't affords such high rates, then Contact is expected by all parties involved to put the money where their mouth is and pass the refund onto their customers instead of hiking their rates. Otherwise it may look just like defrauding all parties around.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2014
1192 posts
475 upvotes
GTA, ON
maytricks wrote: Just phoned in and they are giving me 34.95+tax / month until 2015. The invoice breakdown is 44.95 + 10.00 dryloop, then -$10 dryloop, and -$10 for internet service = 34.95.

They adjusted my invoice for january as well since I haven't been billed yet.

HOWEVER, they charged me $25 for 'change to account,' which I remember reading about but seems like a bit of a cash grab to me...

I'm slightly annoyed but the service has met my needs and I can't argue with unlimited bandwidth for under $40 for 2015...

The same thing happened to me. When I asked about this admin charge to ContactISP here, he said that was incorrectly charged and asked me to call their number (ext 802) again to get it reversed. I called (and after the usual wait time) spoke to a rep and got it waived. She initially said that fee can't be waived since this promo had expired on Dec 31st 2014- but I told her that their rep on this forum had asked me to call them and get it waived- and she did. Do make sure that they send you a new invoice after this is done so that you have documentation. Hope this helps.
Oct 16, 2002
834 posts
674 upvotes
Troy_McClure wrote: I know you guys might be experiencing small problems but please don't be rude about the reps or the site looks of contact.net. Criticize it all you want but in a way that your message doesn't sound like it's coming from child. ContactISP user is doing his best to reach out to us and we should at least appreciate this by posting meaningful comments and suggestions.
Good point.
Oct 16, 2002
834 posts
674 upvotes
AstonM wrote: Is there any mention of what the price will be after dec 31? Will dry loop continue to be free? I'm tempted to move but if this is suddenly 59.99 plus dry loop I wouldn't be too happy...
Troy_McClure wrote: +1

also, is it mandatory for the technician to come in your house if you're on bell phone line already (no need for dry loop)?
Drinking too heavily at New Year parties leads to memory losses
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2011
3333 posts
1227 upvotes
Toronto
methyl wrote: Good point.
Can you provide an example where I was not respectful?
methyl wrote: Drinking too heavily at New Year parties leads to memory losses
That's more proof, did anyone really know what the price would be after dec.31.2014? TOS state it would be identified to us. Every post of ContactISP mentioned "ongoing negotiations". Nothing was ever confirmed.
Oct 16, 2002
834 posts
674 upvotes
Troy_McClure wrote: Can you provide an example where I was not respectful?

That's more proof, did anyone really know what the price would be after dec.31.2014? TOS state it would be identified to us. Every post of ContactISP mentioned "ongoing negotiations". Nothing was ever confirmed.
Clearly contact.net has severe communication issues. They deserve some flak but it's not a reason to start riots here ganging up on the company that allowed many to benefit from very affordable and reasonably reliable service for a number of months.
Just like any other company they can jack up prices to any level they want. OK, they messed up with communication about how it's going to happen but let's not pretend that everyone was so naive thinking that promo prices will run forever.
There's no reason to try to get them in trouble with regulators or run them out of business. If the intent is to resolve individual cases, looks like they're willing to resolve.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2011
3333 posts
1227 upvotes
Toronto
methyl wrote: Clearly contact.net has severe communication issues. They deserve some flak but it's not a reason to start riots here ganging up on the company that allowed many to benefit from very affordable and reasonably reliable service for a number of months.
Just like any other company they can jack up prices to any level they want. OK, they messed up with communication about how it's going to happen but let's not pretend that everyone was so naive thinking that promo prices will run forever.
There's no reason to try to get them in trouble with regulators or run them out of business. If the intent is to resolve individual cases, looks like they're willing to resolve.
Why does everyone keep making this point? No one said anything about the promo running forever. Who's arguing this?

ContactISP's Jan.3.2015 post is actually the reason why I knew something was fishy and started informing others to contact this company:
Dec.1.2014 Jan.3.2015 What happened with the official decision and price confirmation? I'm assuming since you have such a small team to "save" costs, you or another colleague of yours that also uses this RFD account also runs the contact.net facebook account. You posted a message on facebook 2 days before the deal ended and you last posted on RFD on Dec.1.2014 and come back on Jan.3.2015 with an answer like that? :facepalm:

All this time from the beginning of this thread you've been telling us that you're in talks/negotiations with bell, but when they're done you don't even let anyone know the outcome?

When exactly did the negotiations end? For how many weeks/months was contact.net planning to charge everyone full price without any notification?
Essentially his Jan.3.2015 post is a "You should have known, too bad". I admired ContactISP in the early days of this thread, very helpful with everything, but the tone in this jan.3 post just didn't make sense. It's good they're trying to resolve the problem now, but maybe that's only because of all the comments on RFD and facebook. How do you know they would have offered us the switch plans without fees or installation charges if it weren't for this discussion?

Better yet, why haven't they officially apologized for not sending us a notification? The least they could have done was send a notification when the negotiations were confirmed and changed prices in February. None of this mess would have taken place.
Refer to my post with the 3 steps outlined in order to handle this situation:

Step 1 is to contact contact.net or AEI. Step 2 is to message them on facebook, etc. Only after these methods fail and no valid response is given do we move to other consumer helping bodies.
They deserve some flak but it's not a reason to start riots here ganging up on the company that allowed many to benefit from very affordable and reasonably reliable service for a number of months.
I believe the number of customers that actually know the price changed is very small. Let me be very clear, we are not starting riots or ganging up. We are informing our fellow consumers that this is happening because clearly Contact.net has no intention of doing so.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
2304 posts
950 upvotes
Contact.net (AEI) internet has gone down hill very fast. In the beginning it actually was as advertised but now it's a nightly downstream throttling from 25mbps to 5mbps at peak hours and that's certainly wasn't part of the promise. Time to switch out. Techsavvy at $39.99 with 300GB bandwidth and unlimited during 2am to 8am is a much better offer if at 34.95 I'm not getting what I'm paying for with Contact.net