Expired Hot Deals

Locked: [Contact.net] Double Infinite Contact *unlimited 25Mbps $29.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2015 2:31 pm
Oct 10, 2013
35 posts
hypperboy wrote:
Apr 12th, 2014 8:31 am
Had my install yesterday switched from Distributel to contact. Internet is fine for my main PC but I can't get wireless going it keeps jumping to a bell page asking me for my user name and password (which I don't have). Tech basically plugged in the modem and did a speed test and left. None of my devices connected to the router portion of the modem have internet and no one from tech support is calling me back. So far not so good.
This is what I found in their FAQ let me know if it helps.
Once our technician has installed your modem, you will be prompted to enter your username and password, this information can be found in the package that came with your modem or in our order confirmation email. Click on Finish. You are all set!
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2003
1124 posts
109 upvotes
Waterloo
Cosmos7 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2014 8:44 am
Just curious what was your order date and installation date?
Order date was April 5th. Install date with April 11th between 5 and 9pm. They never came. Got a call at 4:34 saying the technician was at my house, please let him in. I was on my way home for the 5pm install, called my wife who was home and she was out front with the kids, no technician was there. Called bell, was told he is probably still on his way.... no show.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2003
1124 posts
109 upvotes
Waterloo
Mine was admin/admin. Bought from contact.
Sep 27, 2006
112 posts
1 upvote
I got the modem but no welcome package at all. All I got was a confirmation that I placed the order and then a phone call to let me know the install date. That's it
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2003
1124 posts
109 upvotes
Waterloo
akon1943 wrote:
Apr 11th, 2014 7:23 pm
Uhm, thanks, but does not work... This manual actually does not have SR505 (stops at SR500), and lists defaults of 192.168.1.1 and admin/admin - these do not work for Contact.net supplied SmartRG.
Odd, it worked for me. connected to 192.168.1.1, and it said "your internet is not connected", I clicked on the manage link, and used admin/admin, and I was in. I can see that they have already setup my pppoe settings with my login.
Oct 10, 2013
35 posts
juched wrote:
Apr 12th, 2014 8:48 am
Order date was April 5th. Install date with April 11th between 5 and 9pm. They never came. Got a call at 4:34 saying the technician was at my house, please let him in. I was on my way home for the 5pm install, called my wife who was home and she was out front with the kids, no technician was there. Called bell, was told he is probably still on his way.... no show.
Ok your saying they called you asking to let the technician in but your wife home and seen nothing? Or she was not home and the technician decided to leave. Bell technicians can be pretty rude and stupid.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2003
1124 posts
109 upvotes
Waterloo
Cosmos7 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2014 8:52 am
Ok your saying they called you asking to let the technician in but your wife home and seen nothing? Or she was not home and the technician decided to leave. Bell technicians can be pretty rude and stupid.
She was home, even out front. No Bell van. I was home before 5pm.

Edit: the odd part it was a call from a 1-866 number from Bell, not the technician themselves, and I think it was them reminding me that he was coming. But looking back, I think they were standing in front of the wrong house.
Jun 9, 2011
389 posts
107 upvotes
juched wrote:
Apr 12th, 2014 8:49 am
Odd, it worked for me. connected to 192.168.1.1, and it said "your internet is not connected", I clicked on the manage link, and used admin/admin, and I was in. I can see that they have already setup my pppoe settings with my login.
Definitely does not work for me.
I just figured out that 192.168.2.1/admin/ and user/user lets me in and I can see the settings, but cannot modify them ("Advanced Setup" menu option not available).
WTF!
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10561 posts
3843 upvotes
infamouskid wrote:
Apr 12th, 2014 12:57 am
i did not see that. but to be fair i think i am the longest running customer of contact's service on rfd thus far.
i mean i was the first to actually jump in head first and do a complete background check on the company.

the bell tech will install a jack for dryloop orders if you do not have one and attach 2 wires to the jack if you have one. he will also install a pots splitter.
he will then ensure you have sync with the VDSL remote or stinger and then ensure your modem is getting stable sync.
if you have your pppoe username and password present at the time he will also instruct you on how to put this information in.
Will they fix the main feed to the street if it is damaged? My main bell line does not look like it's in very good condition.
Jul 9, 2003
261 posts
48 upvotes
Well the good news is that Contact's connection is as advertised for me in Whitby. I'd love to login to the router and set it to bridged mode now.... I hate defaults... Can't login of course... thanks Contact... ffs...

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3435140385
89 Cutlass International - 93 Buick LeSabre Limited - 99 Z24 5spd mod - 07 Cobalt LTSport 5spd - 05 Colorado Xtreme EXT Cab - 09 Caliber SRT4
1999 Katana - 2009 M90
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2011
2040 posts
1091 upvotes
Toronto
Any idea what the price will increase to after Dec 31st and if the price increases will the unlimited bandwidth stay? Probably been asked before but I can't go and read every single page.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
1927 posts
122 upvotes
Thornhill
Unable to complete the order form, it keeps telling my 'The Home Phone Field is required', but there is no such field.
Jul 9, 2003
261 posts
48 upvotes
@CONTACT ISP

Okay so I now have my Modem, connected and it seems to be working fine. I have ZERO intention of using this as a Router, even if I did I would require port forwarding so I can connect to home from work. The default username and passwords are NOT working. I've received very little information for connecting and ZERO information for logging into the modem. I need to make changes and somehow you guys have disabled the factory reset on the modem I paid cash for...

Please send me the login information. This internet service is useless to me without it.
89 Cutlass International - 93 Buick LeSabre Limited - 99 Z24 5spd mod - 07 Cobalt LTSport 5spd - 05 Colorado Xtreme EXT Cab - 09 Caliber SRT4
1999 Katana - 2009 M90
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
1927 posts
122 upvotes
Thornhill
My problem with the form is that when you select the "No thanks" button for Dry Loop, the Land line # field is greyed out. Please fix form.
feejai wrote:
Apr 12th, 2014 3:10 pm
Unable to complete the order form, it keeps telling my 'The Home Phone Field is required', but there is no such field.
Jun 9, 2011
389 posts
107 upvotes
djm0 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2014 3:34 pm
@CONTACT ISP
Okay so I now have my Modem, connected and it seems to be working fine. I have ZERO intention of using this as a Router, even if I did I would require port forwarding so I can connect to home from work. The default username and passwords are NOT working. I've received very little information for connecting and ZERO information for logging into the modem. I need to make changes and somehow you guys have disabled the factory reset on the modem I paid cash for...
Please send me the login information. This internet service is useless to me without it.
@ContactISP, please, pay attention to this complaint as I had exactly the same grief for most of the day... only in my case it was complicated by the fact that default configuration that was hardwired in the modem was WRONG (for some reason my login/password was keyed into ADSL2 interface instead of VDSL and it was not connecting). No login information was provided for the modem, default configuration was changed compared to the factory state and factory reset DID NOT WORK (tried it in many ways - holding the button when powering on, holding the button after powering on, holding until red light, etc. - as per various guides online and in the factory manual). Every time it was coming back up with the same wrong set of settings and default CONTACTnnnn hotspot. And I could not log in into the admin panel to correct that.

Anyway, had to call your support... the good news is that I did not have to wait on the line for more than 30 seconds and the person was indeed a live person (who did not force me to go through the usual support script of switch it off/on, etc.) When I mentioned that line is up, but no internet and I can't log in, he said that "Yes, we lock them, because it is very difficult for customer to set up it. You may need to send it back" at which point I was a bit "uhm, so what now?" He took it away and promised to call me back. Indeed called me back in an hour and a half, and offered two options - send the modem back ("because it is hard to configure", etc.) or try to tweak the settings.

At this point I was provided login/password, which is: 192.168.2.1 and admin/config. Happily navigated towards WAN page and corrected the settings, at which point everything started to work. Also switched it to bridge mode tonight and it works just fine.

So, ContactISP, definitely a plus for your support for following through, calling back and resolving the issue, but I still question the overall locked modem issue. I paid for it (it is not a rental), so even if it is locked for support purposes for now, I am still expecting to have an official unlock method that would revert it back to factory state without my (incorrect) credentials hardwired in. And why you are not providing admin login/password by default is beyond my comprehension, because it is not even possible to change Wi-Fi settings without it. I guess, paying for mailing modems unnecessarily back and forth makes financial sense even for a discount ISP?

Anyway, I hope you will raise this at your weekly meetings. Everything is working fine now, although I am missing cable's speedboost a bit - I feel it was making a slight difference on image heavy websites (like Facebook or news websites):
[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/3435388109.png[/IMG]