Banned
Mar 25, 2013
754 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
Troy_McClure wrote:
Apr 30th, 2014 9:26 pm
yup :D Hopefully they don't come out with a $30 50mpbs promo tomorrow lol
Hahaha we wouldn't do that to you guys!! But we do have an extension in the works (check out the website, should be updated soon- GO RAPTORS!)
Banned
Mar 25, 2013
754 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
BLoblaw wrote:
May 1st, 2014 10:59 am
Woohoo ... connected with contact.net :D

When the 3rd tech arrived on the re-scheduled date of the 28th (since first installer couldn't get the line connected) things are up and running. Tech was very helpful and installed a new box on the outside of my house and even waited 15mins for me to get home. I had requested he contact me whether or not the install went well or not and figured i'd take care of any work inside. He stuck around, was professional and friendly. Came inside and installed the filter and watched as the modem synced. Told me I was in a good spot (short run to the node) and speeds were as advertised right off the bat.

So far, there is a noticeable difference in the quality and speed of some items we run on our connection. Or media devices running XBMC are faster, gaming on the PS3 and PC are much smoother, VOIP phone still clear as can be, etc. etc. etc. and we were on 30/10 cable before.

Followed the instructions for putting RG505N into bridge mode, ran cat5 over to my router, adjusted a few login settings, and everything is perfect so far. Very happy.

It was nice to unplug the cable modem. Knowing that we are now UNLIMITED is such a relief. Not that we were over too many times in the past months and we had 300gig cap, but it's f'n sweet knowing that ALL streaming will be in HD now without the worry of overages haha. :)

Still love start.ca and it was a drag calling in to cancel with them. I didn't know about the 5 day notice (wayyyy better than the 30 day policy of Robbers, bHELL, Blowgeco, etc.) so I'm dinged with an extra month with them, but I downgraded to the lowest package and will only be hit for $30. In December, I'll be FTTN'ing with the best deal wherever it comes from now that I own my modem and am not locked in.

Thanks Contact.net ... hopefully this is the start of a long, and cheap, relationship :) :) :)

ps - When i first connected a computer to the modem (before i put it in bridge mode) I couldn't get a proper LAN connection. WiFi was no problem for the laptop, s3, ipods, moto g, etc. Drove me nuts. The next morning I decided to move the cable from LAN1 over to LAN4 on the 505N. Abracadabra/Bingo/dingdingding ... connected and working :D
Happy that everything is up and running, here's to a long and budget friendly future together lol!! :)
Apr 24, 2014
5 posts
Toronto, ON
Got connected yesterday and speeds are exactly as advertised - 25/10 :) Very happy with the speeds right now. I was able to get the service working with a Bell Sagemcom 2864 - which was a definite plus.

I do have a question for the technical people on this forum. Why do you prefer bridge mode over router mode? What advantages is there to put the router into bridge mode vs leaving it as router mode. I understand bridge mode is Layer2 and router mode is Layer3. For all the extra effort to put the modem/router into Layer2 mode, what do I "get" out of it? I'm currently running router mode and still getting the full 25/10, so speed is definitely not it.

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2006
1457 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto
Has anyone received an email from infoclient@aei.ca several days after making an email? Could it be a spam? This is what the email looks like:

Hi

Unfortunately the service is not available at the adress you requested

Regards
Banned
Mar 25, 2013
754 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
albundy99999999 wrote:
May 1st, 2014 11:56 am
Has anyone received an email from infoclient@aei.ca several days after making an email? Could it be a spam? This is what the email looks like:

Hi

Unfortunately the service is not available at the adress you requested

Regards
Sent a PM, thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 9, 2008
5171 posts
1609 upvotes
Thornhill
mrjclok wrote:
May 1st, 2014 11:38 am
Got connected yesterday and speeds are exactly as advertised - 25/10 :) Very happy with the speeds right now. I was able to get the service working with a Bell Sagemcom 2864 - which was a definite plus.

I do have a question for the technical people on this forum. Why do you prefer bridge mode over router mode? What advantages is there to put the router into bridge mode vs leaving it as router mode. I understand bridge mode is Layer2 and router mode is Layer3. For all the extra effort to put the modem/router into Layer2 mode, what do I "get" out of it? I'm currently running router mode and still getting the full 25/10, so speed is definitely not it.

Thanks!
The WiFi signal from a Sagemcom 2864 is very poor compared to other routers on the market. So people are bridging them to get better WiFi signal.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2006
1014 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto
ContactISP wrote:
May 1st, 2014 11:27 am
Hahaha we wouldn't do that to you guys!! But we do have an extension in the works (check out the website, should be updated soon- GO RAPTORS!)
25/10 was not enough speed for me to switch over to you, so hopefully you will have a good deal for 50/10 very soon :)
Oct 26, 2007
14 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
@ContactISP

Hi, Mr.ContactISP

I successfully purchased Double Infinite Contact infinGB with Dryloop on 2014-04-20 15:44:43.

I got informed by phone from Contact that my installation date is 2014-04-30 5-9PM. and double confirmed that date and time.

but , yesterday was 2014-04-30, the whole day , nobody showed up , no phone call. Maybe the Tech man was too busy or something.

Could you please check it for me , and reschedule the date of installation ?

My Transaction# 8e64e673-763f-4d7f-b7f7-f06cf2dcf1ed

I really really do need my internet connection.

Thanks a lot.

Best

John
2014/05/01
Deal Addict
May 11, 2003
2381 posts
276 upvotes
e-man wrote:
May 1st, 2014 9:59 am
Hi. Is this promo still on or is it officially dead?

Also, what is the install fee for the 15/1 service? I can't seem to find it on their website.
@ContactISP: You answered a bunch of questions but missed mine :) . Could you reply to my question? I'm about to cancel with Bell and have to decide if I'm going with you or Tek.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2003
2381 posts
276 upvotes
To any existing Contact customers:

How do you find the measurements for the usage? I'm on Bell at home and have a friend on Tek. I find Bell counts every single byte that I transfer, but Tek seems to report lower number usage numbers than I would expect.

Is Contact the same way? Just asking because the 15/1 limit is 100 GB.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
Dec 15, 2012
672 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
+1 would definitely be interested in someone reporting their experience with contact.net's bandwidth usage tool.

That's also the reason...I was going to get the 15/1 plan too but found my usage is average 5 gb per day so decided to change my plan and get the unlimited.

Yeah I have bell now and their meter is to the byte. When I had another third party ISP (nexicom), the online usage report was indeed much lower than what I was actually using.

I don't know man...I mean contact.net is here and all looking at whatever we're saying..
Dec 25, 2013
108 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
Jeenyus1 wrote:
May 1st, 2014 12:47 pm
The WiFi signal from a Sagemcom 2864 is very poor compared to other routers on the market. So people are bridging them to get better WiFi signal.
I am running Sagecom WIFI and am not facing any issue. The signal's good for me, but I do live in a smaller house. So I guess you are saying if it's a 3-4 story house, then signal is not enough? I am getting 26 down/11 up on WIFI btw.
Oct 26, 2007
14 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
oaklet wrote:
May 1st, 2014 1:25 pm
@ContactISP

Hi, Mr.ContactISP

I successfully purchased Double Infinite Contact infinGB with Dryloop on 2014-04-20 15:44:43.

I got informed by phone from Contact that my installation date is 2014-04-30 5-9PM. and double confirmed that date and time.

but , yesterday was 2014-04-30, the whole day , nobody showed up , no phone call. Maybe the Tech man was too busy or something.

Could you please check it for me , and reschedule the date of installation ?

My Transaction# 8e64e673-763f-4d7f-b7f7-f06cf2dcf1ed

I really really do need my internet connection.

Thanks a lot.

Best

John
2014/05/01

Thanks !

Thanks a lot, Man.....Mr.ContactISP

You are so fast.....:-)

So, what I can do is just waiting for another arrangement...

Thanks again.

John.

2014/05/01
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2006
1457 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto
ContactISP wrote:
May 1st, 2014 12:16 pm
Sent a PM, thanks!
Thanks! I'm really confused as I am getting conflicting answers to my order. I didn't cancel the order and I sent you a PM.
Aug 26, 2012
25 posts
4 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Hi ContactISP,

I have successfully purchased Double Infinite Contact infinGB with Sagemcomm F@ST2864 modem, Dryloop & ContactCare on April 24th and scheduled installation date on May 16th 2014.

I have called up your 1-877-305-4155 couple of times & left message as I wanted to discuss regarding the co-ordination that you would have with Bell as my present connection with them will end on May 24th & your Installation is scheduled on 16th May and I hope this wouldn't be an issue with you. Let me know if you see any concerns and accordingly, I will have to plan my work if incase...

My Transaction# e1401871-cb5f-4e07-b5fc-a1a4ec0d799f

Appreciate, if you could give me reply or call and let me know. Also, will I have any direct contact number to reach you incase of any issue as I have purchased ContactCare as well? Thanks

Regards,
VK