• Jan 26th, 2017 10:30 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1461 upvotes
Richmond

Contacting the CRA

What's the best way to contact the CRA to ask questions about taking over tax filing for an elderly relative?

Their public contact number always says that all agents are busy and all queues are full, call back some other time. But it's always the same, at least when calling from the west coast. Is there any time of day when it's more likely to get through? Or does one have to wait until a different time of year to have any chance of getting through on the phone? They don't seem to provide any other means of contact.
10 replies
Mar 6, 2015
220 posts
460 upvotes
To save you time when you actually get through to an agent, have the taxpayer complete form T1013 and send to CRA prior to calling in. With this form processed in their system, CRA will share the taxpayers personal information. Without it, CRA will only answer general questions.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3105 posts
1530 upvotes
MTLCPA wrote: To save you time when you actually get through to an agent, have the taxpayer complete form T1013 and send to CRA prior to calling in. With this form processed in their system, CRA will share the taxpayers personal information. Without it, CRA will only answer general questions.
^^^ This.

Fill in the form. It shouldn't be a problem to fill out their taxes for them if you're the representative. It's really helpful if they don't speak English or French and makes things SO much more smooth.
I'd love to write history... in advance.
AMEX Biz Plat 75K AGAIN! | Plat 60K | Biz Gold 40K | Gold 25K | SPG 20K
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2397 posts
1091 upvotes
As others have mentioned just have the person name you as a representative.
Dec 6, 2016
230 posts
112 upvotes
Calgary, AB
It can also be done online through myaccount, if she has that feature.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
2048 posts
636 upvotes
Alberta
Choose the French language, it uses to be faster. Then, ask the agent directly in English. 99% odd the agent is bilingue.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1461 upvotes
Richmond
MTLCPA wrote: To save you time when you actually get through to an agent, have the taxpayer complete form T1013 and send to CRA prior to calling in. With this form processed in their system, CRA will share the taxpayers personal information. Without it, CRA will only answer general questions.
I have the 1013 form, but the CRA's online information says you don't need to submit this form if you already have a Power of Attorney for the taxpayer, which I do. But there's no information provided on how to proceed with the PoA.

A complication is that this elderly taxpayer has retained no records at all from previous years filings, not a single document, lost all their papers in a recent move. And they've never registered for online access.

And none of this helps me actually contact the CRA, unless I try calling the French line.
Oct 24, 2011
623 posts
180 upvotes
Timmins
When I took over for my mother and my aunt, I sent a certified copy of the PoAs with a letter, then waited quite a while until they were processed. Then I called (and called, and called) until I got through and managed to speak to an agent. It's a long, long process and may not be completed for several months, as we are going into their busy time now. It's been several years now, but when I do get through I have no problem speaking to the agent about their tax affairs. If your relative's income etc is fairly simple, you probably could do the tax return easily. If it's complicated, keep trying.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1461 upvotes
Richmond
I finally got through to the CRA, and the agent was able to answer my immediate questions. They suggested that the best time to call from the west coast is early afternoon, when the morning rush is over and the eastern call centres are still open.

They confirmed that the T1013 rep form is not required if you have a Power of Attorney. They said send in a copy of the PoA with cover letter to the taxpayer's local tax centre. Doesn't have to be a certified/notarized copy of the PoA. Assume at least 30 days to process, maybe longer this time of year. Getting set up for online access would require a copy of the previous year's tax return in order to answer the security questions, so that could be delayed for several months.
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2012
1600 posts
950 upvotes
GTA
iamthebest wrote: Choose the French language, it uses to be faster. Then, ask the agent directly in English. 99% odd the agent is bilingue.
This also works with bell & rogers lmao
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1461 upvotes
Richmond
CBC article on the difficulties of contacting the CRA for answers (business): http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e33766199/

The Canadian Federation of Independent Business placed 224 test calls to the CRA last year to ask for routine information. Of those 70% got through (the CRA has a higher goal of 85% for business callers), but only 48% got correct and complete answers. Therefore most accountants call the CRA more than once to verify the answers they get.