Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1563 posts
57 upvotes
Mississauga

container shipping from china/india etc

Hi,

Need some guidance.

I'm looking to purchase some inventory from abroad. I might be looking into filling a 20ft container.

The supplier said my port is Toronto and it would cost 3300-3600 USD to get there. However, once it gets there it is my reponsibility to get it to my warehouse.

How in the world am I suppose to bring the container myself?
Assuming I can hire a company to bring it to my location - at which point do they just park the 20ft container and when I'm done unloading it, I call them and they pick it up?
If I don't want the 20 ft container to come to my location - can I just arrive at the Toronto port (location of where the container will be), and empty its contents into my truck/vehicles?

Sorry if i'm missing the point but I'm really confused here
15 replies
May 21, 2015
117 posts
22 upvotes
Vancouver
hire a customs broker and they can handle everything (arrange a local trucking company etc)
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
11023 posts
2264 upvotes
I use a freight forwarder and custom broker that handles all my shipments from Asia to the Port of LA or NYC, clears it and trucks it to my warehouse in the US. I don't lift a finger, but just ACH the invoice payment to them. You need to get someone to handle it all and not use the vendor's method.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16243 posts
4919 upvotes
Ottawa
UPS SCS or Nippon.
If your goods are not on skids, they will not deliver it door to door.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2542 posts
1138 upvotes
Calgaryish
vkizzle wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 1:35 pm
UPS SCS or Nippon.
If your goods are not on skids, they will not deliver it door to door.
Yes, everything has to be on pallets. And if you're getting it delivered to somewhere without a raised loading dock, expect to pay a fee to have the truck unloaded.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16243 posts
4919 upvotes
Ottawa
retrothing wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 2:48 pm
Yes, everything has to be on pallets. And if you're getting it delivered to somewhere without a raised loading dock, expect to pay a fee to have the truck unloaded.
Liftgate fee is negligble at less than $100.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2542 posts
1138 upvotes
Calgaryish
vkizzle wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 2:49 pm
Liftgate fee is negligble at less than $100.
$100 is enough for me to pay six hours of wages to my shipping staff. :)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16243 posts
4919 upvotes
Ottawa
retrothing wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 3:16 pm
$100 is enough for me to pay six hours of wages to my shipping staff. :)
It's not chump change for me either, I'm just giving insights based on what I see here at my company; using my employers money.LOL
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
11023 posts
2264 upvotes
retrothing wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 2:48 pm
Many of my shipments are not on pallets so everything does not have to be on pallets.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
6137 posts
2225 upvotes
Toronto
eonibm wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 9:07 pm
Many of my shipments are not on pallets so everything does not have to be on pallets.
you're finally back.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1563 posts
57 upvotes
Mississauga
okay so how would this work:

i'm not incorporated - and don't plan on being
i dont have a business location, i plan on storing the items in my garage/home for now
which means i def have no dock for this container

most things im reading for first time people is that, i should just let the supplier handle the shipping, but I'm sure they have a profit element in there as well.

but all that aside, the supplier quoted me $3500 USD shippped ot the port, then about another $940 USD from port to me.

my main question is, once the goods have been cleared, can I just goto the warehouse and unload the container there onto my rental trucks?
if no, and i pay for delivery, I have a friend who has some commercial parking space, and would they leave the container on the pavement? or would they just disconnect the whole trailer and park it?

how much time do I have for emptying the container before giving it back to them?
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
11023 posts
2264 upvotes
daivey wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 9:48 pm
you're finally back.
Yes. Powers that be had prevented me from returning until now.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
11023 posts
2264 upvotes
pardnme wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 6:32 am
okay so how would this work:

i'm not incorporated - and don't plan on being
i dont have a business location, i plan on storing the items in my garage/home for now
which means i def have no dock for this container

most things im reading for first time people is that, i should just let the supplier handle the shipping, but I'm sure they have a profit element in there as well.

but all that aside, the supplier quoted me $3500 USD shippped ot the port, then about another $940 USD from port to me.

my main question is, once the goods have been cleared, can I just goto the warehouse and unload the container there onto my rental trucks?
if no, and i pay for delivery, I have a friend who has some commercial parking space, and would they leave the container on the pavement? or would they just disconnect the whole trailer and park it?

how much time do I have for emptying the container before giving it back to them?
You don't have entire containers delivered past the Port. That's ridiculous unless you are some gigantic company with a giant storage yard or warehouse. Request that the goods should be unloaded by the freight forwarder from the container into their warehouse. That is called 'devanning' (GIYF). Then you go pick them up there with a rental truck or hire a trucking company. In fact, that's exactly what I am doing for a small shipment I just received in Buffalo. For larger shipments I have a trucking company bring them straight to my warehouse and in those cases my freight forwarder handles all the logistics from the time it is delivered to the China port (ie FOB) by my vendor to my warehouse door. Sometimes they even handle it right from the China factory (ie EXW) to my door.
Feb 23, 2015
294 posts
11 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I have a friend who owns a warehouse with large outdoor storage yard and are very flexible unlike larger companies. .

They also have equipment to load and unload from various heights. They can arrange container transport. They are in Georgetown, ON
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1563 posts
57 upvotes
Mississauga
so my product has been shipped, i paid the manufacturer for the shipping...

received the bill of lading.

when i track the vessel it shows that it will be reaching vancouver on dec 11, 2017

the B/L shows montreal as the port of discharge and toronto as the place of delivery.

does anybody have an idea as to the timing? if the vessel arrives dec 11 - when it the earliest i could possibly have everything?