• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 2:13 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2007
1779 posts
2878 upvotes

Contest Discussion(s)

I made a RFD suggestion to have a sticky thread for a place where contesters could ask questions, make comments, suggestions, ask advice, etc. (basically all the off-topics) in regards to the contesting world.

Ryan has approved this as long as we don't use the thread "to defraud / cheat contests".

I was thinking it would be nice to have a common area to share our contesting experiences, help each other learn how to use new contesting places like twitter and facebook, etc.

I know a lot of us have Pepsi WEH withdrawal :o because we miss the comraderie we have in that thread.

Hopefully, we can create a new hangout here and welcome all friends to the world of contesting.

P.S. if you don't like the title of the thread, suggestions are welcome!
Thread Summary
21316 replies
Nov 12, 2008
128 posts
24 upvotes
Whitehorse
Magneto, what a great idea! Thank you for taking the initiative to start this. This will be a great help to some of us that are still fumbling around in the contesting world.
Dec 24, 2008
153 posts
12 upvotes
Great idea. I have no clue when itcomes to twitter and facebook contests.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2007
4192 posts
1315 upvotes
Who would have thought that a simple contest offered by RBC and Cocacola Canada would lead to such an amazing experience for my 15 year old daughter! (She wrote an essay on Active Living as part of the selection process)

The torchbearers were treated like rock stars. My daughter's former schoolmates at the local junior high turned out to cheer her on her segment. There were so many calling out her name and clapping when she got off the shuttle bus and waited for the flame, she was overwhelmed! (She confessed that after running her segment she teared up and was in tears all the way back to the headquarters)

Her photo made the local paper, (number 6 in the gallery) it was one of a small handful that were printed.

http://www.capebretonpost.com/index.cfm ... y&cid=2861

An amazing coincidence - in her group of torchbearers was the son of the woman from whom I purchased my older, family home. (We are living in the house he grew up in) The man now lives in Halifax, which was his first choice for the Torchbearer routes - but he got his second choice, to be a Torchbearer in Sydney. And he was one runner away from passing the flame to my daughter! His photo also appeared in the local paper, just above my daughter's! (His is number 7 in the gallery) We also got some photos of him and my daughter standing together to frame and display in our homes.

The other part of the experience that my daughter really enjoyed was how they did it: they get all the torchbearers from a geographical area to board a shuttle bus which precedes the flame. They drop off each torchbearer at their starting point about 15 minutes ahead of the flame/previous torchbearers. Then the previous torchbearer arrives carrying the flame, they exchange the flame and the torchbearer runs their segment. After the torchbearer finishes their segment, another shuttle bus picks them up and then they get to follow the flame for quite awhile - getting to see other torchbearers run their route just in front of them, and all the people/schools/businesses out to cheer them on. Then they arrive at the community celebration, and people are making a big fuss about them, asking to take their photos etc.

This experience, by far, has been the most amazing "contest win" we've had. We wouldn't have known about the opportunity if it wasn't for being a member of this forum community :D
Nov 12, 2008
128 posts
24 upvotes
Whitehorse
I read the facebook rules and they request that you use your real name. The only reason I would start a facebook account is to enter contests. So, if I sign up on Facebook does that mean that anyone can look up my name and contact me on my page? Instead of the way my friends usually contact me, by phone # or email address that I have given them?
I also read that in spite of the rules, some people use, say, their first and middle names, but I don't know how that would affect contest entries.
And, if anyone has ever won a Facebook contest, how do they contact you?
Sorry, if these are really elementary questions...please be patient, I'm just an egg. :confused:
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2007
4192 posts
1315 upvotes
radchaddy wrote: I read the facebook rules and they request that you use your real name. The only reason I would start a facebook account is to enter contests. So, if I sign up on Facebook does that mean that anyone can look up my name and contact me on my page? Instead of the way my friends usually contact me, by phone # or email address that I have given them?
I also read that in spite of the rules, some people use, say, their first and middle names, but I don't know how that would affect contest entries.
And, if anyone has ever won a Facebook contest, how do they contact you?
Sorry, if these are really elementary questions...please be patient, I'm just an egg. :confused:
hey radchaddy (love the name) some of this might help:

I use a slight mis-spelling of my real name on my Contest Facebook page and a false birthdate. (I have another facebook account for my real life) I associate this contest facebook account with an email account I created specifically for contests.

I also go to all the privacy settings in Facebook, and set everything to "Only my friends" Then if I don't have any friends listed then no one can stumble upon my facebook page/profile etc. This is important.
1. Click on "settings" top menu bar, right side.
2. Go to privacy - click on manage
3. scroll through options, choosing "only friends" as those who can view anything on your contest facebook.

I won a giftcard from a Winners Facebook contest. Your facebook has an email address associated with your page. Winners sent me a notification through my contest email account. (An email account specifically for contests, contains no personal info, and I don't care if it gets the occasional spam from my contest entering activities)
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
1049 posts
2763 upvotes
This is a wonderful idea I sure would need this thread a lot!
Biggest Contest Win so far:
Trip to the 2010 Vancouver Winter Games,3 pin sets,4 goalie pins,gear- ColdFX
ADD me on twitter @masterrockerr
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2007
3998 posts
608 upvotes
God's Country
Great idea Magneto!! ;)
Nothing but Good Thoughts :)
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2008
19809 posts
378567 upvotes
Ottawa
Great Idea Magneto.

and caper that experience for your daughter sounds amazing, you couldnt win anything that would have that much sentiment and memory for many years to come. way to go.

as for facebook Ive had an acct for awhile but dont use it for contests, ive recently opened a twitter acct (which was mainly to follow nhl trades) and have basically started to use it enter and try win contests (damn tassimo)

anyway this thread has made the favorites list to check daily (okay fine hourly)

Vilmark
bring back colour
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2008
19809 posts
378567 upvotes
Ottawa
one more thought can someone make this thread sticky

just curious
bring back colour
Nov 12, 2008
128 posts
24 upvotes
Whitehorse
caper2007
First of all, that's wonderful about your daughter and the Olympic Flame, that is something she will remember for the rest of her life (and your entire family as well).

And thank you for the advice re:Facebook, that is a great plan.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2007
3998 posts
608 upvotes
God's Country
OK so I am dumb!! What does make this thread STICKY mean...It been a hard week forgive me.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24232 posts
43261 upvotes
ONTARIO
It means to stick to the top of the page. No matter if anyone has recently posted in it, it would still remain at the top of the page for people to quickly access and notice. Like how "Post your contest wins" thread is always at the top no matter what.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2007
3998 posts
608 upvotes
God's Country
Thanks Bobbie,and stop winning all the gas cards ..hehehe. ;)
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24232 posts
43261 upvotes
ONTARIO
I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2007
3998 posts
608 upvotes
God's Country
Dave, who's Dave?
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24232 posts
43261 upvotes
ONTARIO
I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
1088 posts
363 upvotes
BobSagget wrote: I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.
I am very aware of the movie you are quoting :D hahaha

Dave Bowman FTW
Deal Expert
Dec 14, 2005
18176 posts
345 upvotes
Richmond
Stickied.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)