Contests

[Other] Contest Discussion(s)

Mar 31, 2013
164 posts
832 upvotes
Courtenay, BC
harryone wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 3:42 pm
Thanks. I did hear back from them, and they are adamant that no numbers be blocked out. Think I might just pass on this one.
just a followup to this, I was contacted by phone today today about a contest win ($50 gift card to Tirecraft) where they asked for gov't id to release the prize.....while we were on the phone I asked her about that requirement and she said they were getting push back about the id issue......they would accept a bill (utility, phone, etc) as long as it had your full name and address they were happy.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2009
1858 posts
2959 upvotes
eyvonne wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 4:26 pm
I have it. I think you get it when you spin one of the bottom 3 categories
Thank you!!! I didn't even realize you could click on those 3 until you pointed them out. I now have the badge!
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2015
2862 posts
24999 upvotes
harryone wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 3:42 pm
Thanks. I did hear back from them, and they are adamant that no numbers be blocked out. Think I might just pass on this one.
Sorry to hear they are being stubborn on this point and that you may lose out on the prize. I would message them on social media, if other people are aware of this maybe they will also voice concerns and will modify their requirements for winners.

While I am all for weeding out cheaters, I think its ridiculous to ask for this type of verification via ID for small prizes. If this was a trip, car or even large cash prize by all means but for small prizes to require such private and confidential info is a bit much IMHO.
Jan 13, 2007
713 posts
607 upvotes
BK2006 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 10:59 am
Sorry to hear they are being stubborn on this point and that you may lose out on the prize. I would message them on social media, if other people are aware of this maybe they will also voice concerns and will modify their requirements for winners.

While I am all for weeding out cheaters, I think its ridiculous to ask for this type of verification via ID for small prizes. If this was a trip, car or even large cash prize by all means but for small prizes to require such private and confidential info is a bit much IMHO.
After I considered everything, I decided to send them a full copy of my Health Card. As someone else said, less damage if it got into the wrong hands....maybe. Thanks for all the advice and suggestions, truly appreciated.
Deal Guru
Jan 17, 2009
14665 posts
17787 upvotes
ONTARIO
lemmiwinks123 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 10:47 am
Woah! I had no idea you could do this. I already had the app so I registered for Mobile Deposit. I'll have to try it out.
Wow, glad I could share that info with you! It really is a fantastic feature. And perfect for when you win contests where the prize is a $5 cheque lol.
May 11, 2005
558 posts
64 upvotes
Vancouver
Did anybody else here win an Acti-Clean toilet from American Standard Canada? I won almost 3 months ago and still waiting for delivery. I've touched base a couple times since on Facebook DM's and last time (Jan 20) was told everything has been confirmed and should be arriving shortly.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3300 posts
4147 upvotes
Ontario
Banks won't accept health cards as ID in Ontario. I had a chat with someone working in a bank a few years after I changed banks. The Ministry of Health had decided to
enforce that health card use is for health care providers only. So the Ministry of Transportation eventually came out with a resident ID card (for those who did not have drivers licences) for a fee.
Surfing 2017.😎 Wins: $50 gc, Starbucks coffee & 40 bonus stars (stars vapourized as I did not hit gold level before my May annual date).
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
13933 posts
3130 upvotes
Ciel wrote:
Feb 12th, 2017 5:27 pm
For other local contest sponsors using social media or websites:
-if you live in a college/university community, there are campus stores that run merchandise contests and are often on FB or Twitter. Ditto student clubs, student association owned clubs or stores plus university departments. Some contests may be restricted to university employees and students but not always. It's also good to follow some departments for event news too.
-local media-entertainment paper, daily paper, community weekly (good for some concert tickets if a big name performer or musical group is coming), SNAPd
-malls-some run contests on their own channels but sometimes the property owner runs contests under the corporate REIT name rather than a specific mall name. i.e Bentall
-your favourite shops
-local bloggers who promote products or stores for giveaways of products or gift cards
-your public transit, municipality, and regional government websites may run contests related to education, health, energy savings etc. Ditto utilities, auto associations, insurance companies, school boards...
-local employers or local branches of foreign companies aka HQ or similar-you may be able to access their corporate newspaper or publications to see what is happening on their end and in the community. Good way to scope out scholarships if you know someone who could benefit from tuition help.
-service club organizations in your region, music or film festivals, tourism organization, non-profit groups, career centres
-locals known to be active on social media-they might be known for sports/tv/film/big in their sector and they happen to RT or mention a contest
-sometimes you can be on one of the forums you post/read and someone happens to mention a local contest you did not know about. Random.
Great ideas. Weren't many for Thunder Bay but enough that if you do win, it will keep you contesting. Thanks...
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2044 posts
18177 upvotes
Contest starts MARCH 7 - https://www.dan-on.com/ca-en/snack-to-win

Limited info: OVER $ 100,000 IN INSTANT PRIZES TO BE WON! Save the codes from specially marked Oikos® products and come back to enter on March 7, 2017.
Every unique code gives you a chance to win! Get your coupons to purchase your Oikos® products!
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2015
2862 posts
24999 upvotes
Uncle Ben's Contest

A random draw will be conducted on or about February 21, 2017 in Mississauga, Ontario at 11:00:00 AM (ET) to select the potential winner of the Sweepstakes Grand Prize from among all eligible entries received during the Sweepstakes Period. The selected entrant will be contacted by e-mail or telephone within fifteen (15) days of the draw date.
https://easyfortune.ca/rules-and-regulations
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
3222 posts
1080 upvotes
For contests only open to those in Canada, why do some entry pages include every single country in the world in the 'Country' drop down list?
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
4631 posts
15133 upvotes
Halifax
johnnyblayze wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 9:23 am
For contests only open to those in Canada, why do some entry pages include every single country in the world in the 'Country' drop down list?
Lazy programmer?
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
2140 posts
1256 upvotes
Toronto
Tracydeanne wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2017 11:38 am
Any winners on the Participation Contest yet?
I would love to even have a chance to enter. I was entering fine for the first week and then was locked out and their password reset function won't work either. I've been in contact with them and they're still trying to figure out how to get me back in! I hate the fact that I'm not even in the running right now, but hope that my fellow RFD'ers are winning instead.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
4631 posts
15133 upvotes
Halifax
pickmepickme wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2017 12:06 pm
I would love to even have a chance to enter. I was entering fine for the first week and then was locked out and their password reset function won't work either. I've been in contact with them and they're still trying to figure out how to get me back in! I hate the fact that I'm not even in the running right now, but hope that my fellow RFD'ers are winning instead.
That stinks :(