[Other] Contest Discussion(s)

Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2016
4180 posts
4259 upvotes
GTA, ON
BobSagget wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 9:24 am
I know what you mean. My daily list is currently under 40 right now. I'm pretty positive in past years, it was always WAY higher this time of the year. Either I am getting pickier with what contests I feel are worth bothering with, or there are just less contests.

Also a drag that I have not had a real contest win since November. Such a huge slump for me.
I've got about 30 dailies at the moment.

I've cut down on contests, especially blog contests.

My last win was late December.
Last edited by krag48 on Mar 1st, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 29, 2013
143 posts
849 upvotes
Definitely agree that it doesn't take me very long to enter contests these days - I have about a dozen dailies but don't enter blog twitter or instagram contests - I won a Goodreads Book but that's it for 2017 - still crossing my fingers though for the next win! Thanks again for all those who share their finds!
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
2165 posts
1302 upvotes
Toronto
I just counted and couldn't believe that I'm down to only 21 dailies - no wonder my wins have been so few and far between lately.
Apr 3, 2010
287 posts
175 upvotes
Contesting is definitely not what it used to be. This is the first time I've ever seen that there was no car giveaway at the Toronto Auto Show. Sponsors everywhere seem to be cutting back.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2006
4660 posts
6080 upvotes
Toronto
I hate to say it, but the last time I remember it going like this was before the last recession :/ I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
4669 posts
15150 upvotes
Halifax
I still have a decent daily list, but I've added some in that I normally don't bother with, like the Hearst contests. I know the odds are lower, but it gives me a few more chances.
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
14091 posts
3175 upvotes
Blog contests seem to have been the big thing 5 or so years ago. But I have not won so much as a gift card on one in years. Dunno if it's more people entering or I've just given up on them. Also, still trying to win ANYTHING from US based contests. 40+ years and I get stickers and ring tones as my biggest prizes? Wonder if they have that software that can remove people they don't want to win (ie. anyone outside the USA). The sponsor may include Canadians but winners from Canada on a lot of them are few and far between...

Wow! Down to 23 dailies. Lowest in quite some time. Disappointed I pulled off so little for all those Christmas contests. Ah well, try try again...
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
4669 posts
15150 upvotes
Halifax
Since my resolution to stop focusing so much on blog contests, I have to say, unfollowing a lot of them has really improved the quality of my social media feeds. You don't realize until you get away from it, how much of what bloggers post are just advertisements or retweets of each other's advertisements.

Not to say that's all bloggers, I still do follow some who aren't just paid commercials, but they seem to be a minority.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2016
4180 posts
4259 upvotes
GTA, ON
Tracydeanne wrote:
Mar 5th, 2017 2:06 pm
Since my resolution to stop focusing so much on blog contests, I have to say, unfollowing a lot of them has really improved the quality of my social media feeds. You don't realize until you get away from it, how much of what bloggers post are just advertisements or retweets of each other's advertisements.

Not to say that's all bloggers, I still do follow some who aren't just paid commercials, but they seem to be a minority.
Very true.
Nov 8, 2009
260 posts
973 upvotes
Anyone here in Calgary and on Instagram? I have a contest but need to tag another Calgarian. My Username is slice.of.fried.gold if anyone wants to add me for any instagram related posts.
2011 TOTAL = $9307 :D , 2012 TOTAL = $3716.48
2013 TOTAL = $3451.50, 2014 TOTAL = $8274.49
2015 TOTAL = $3969, 2016 TOTAL = $2444
2017= $7390....so far
Jun 16, 2012
72 posts
38 upvotes
CALGARY
dave209april wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 3:03 pm
Anyone here in Calgary and on Instagram? I have a contest but need to tag another Calgarian. My Username is slice.of.fried.gold if anyone wants to add me for any instagram related posts.
Just added you.
Jun 5, 2007
326 posts
536 upvotes
Ontario
Question for anyone who has done a Canadian Tire Tested panel product review... When they send you a product do you have to return it? And if your acceptance email doesn't mention a home visit does that mean there won't be one? Also the email said "products" (as in plural) have been shipped and should arrive to my place in a few days, does that mean it's more than one product or is that just a standard message? This is my first time getting selected, I'm super excited but curious about the process.
Deal Guru
Jan 17, 2009
14812 posts
18064 upvotes
ONTARIO
In case you guys haven't seen it yet, RFD added a built in "hide thread" feature. Now you can hide threads you no longer want/need to see.
So this can be particularly useful in here to hide contests you've already entered and no longer need to see.

Enable it here:
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php ... hidetopics

Then go back to the contest page. You will see the icon on the right side of the page to hide threads.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
1101 posts
2585 upvotes
Ontario
Manduh wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 1:08 pm
Question for anyone who has done a Canadian Tire Tested panel product review... When they send you a product do you have to return it? And if your acceptance email doesn't mention a home visit does that mean there won't be one? Also the email said "products" (as in plural) have been shipped and should arrive to my place in a few days, does that mean it's more than one product or is that just a standard message? This is my first time getting selected, I'm super excited but curious about the process.
They sent 2 products in the same box, I did not have to return them, no one ever visited my home.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
2165 posts
1302 upvotes
Toronto
Manduh wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 1:08 pm
We tested products and there were two, but they were very much related to each other and one wasn't possible to use without the other. Our acceptance email did not mention a home visit and we didn't receive one. No, you don't have to return the product, but I imagine that there is a clause saying that you do, if you don't follow up and test and report on what was sent.