[Other] Contest Discussion(s)

Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
2136 posts
1249 upvotes
Toronto
Manduh wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 1:08 pm
Question for anyone who has done a Canadian Tire Tested panel product review... When they send you a product do you have to return it? And if your acceptance email doesn't mention a home visit does that mean there won't be one? Also the email said "products" (as in plural) have been shipped and should arrive to my place in a few days, does that mean it's more than one product or is that just a standard message? This is my first time getting selected, I'm super excited but curious about the process.
We tested products and there were two, but they were very much related to each other and one wasn't possible to use without the other. Our acceptance email did not mention a home visit and we didn't receive one. No, you don't have to return the product, but I imagine that there is a clause saying that you do, if you don't follow up and test and report on what was sent.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2009
1820 posts
2856 upvotes
BobSagget wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 1:38 pm
In case you guys haven't seen it yet, RFD added a built in "hide thread" feature. Now you can hide threads you no longer want/need to see.
So this can be particularly useful in here to hide contests you've already entered and no longer need to see.

Enable it here:
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php ... hidetopics

Then go back to the contest page. You will see the icon on the right side of the page to hide threads.
Thanks for pointing that out!
Dec 19, 2010
617 posts
4821 upvotes
Vancouver
BobSagget wrote:
In case you guys haven't seen it yet, RFD added a built in "hide thread" feature. Now you can hide threads you no longer want/need to see.
So this can be particularly useful in here to hide contests you've already entered and no longer need to see.

Enable it here:

Then go back to the contest page. You will see the icon on the right side of the page to hide threads.
This is awesome, thank you for pointing it out. Cleaned up my contesting page big time.
Jan 24, 2014
605 posts
3310 upvotes
Calgary
Manduh wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 1:08 pm
Question for anyone who has done a Canadian Tire Tested panel product review... When they send you a product do you have to return it? And if your acceptance email doesn't mention a home visit does that mean there won't be one? Also the email said "products" (as in plural) have been shipped and should arrive to my place in a few days, does that mean it's more than one product or is that just a standard message? This is my first time getting selected, I'm super excited but curious about the process.
I was selected before Christmas to review a iRobot Roomba 960 vacuum (valued at $1,000) - you get to keep the product(s)! :)

I don't recall my original email saying anything about a home visit but the follow up survey had a question regarding that. I imagine if they said "products" then it will be more than one thing but that would depend on the category. For instance, if the category you were selected for was "Vacuums", I doubt you would get two.

Also, it looks like they select one person from each province to do a review for a specific product as I had a coworker who got the same email/category as me and she got a Hoover vacuum to review.
2013 WINS: $13,300 - 2014 WINS: $16,860 - 2015 WINS: $13,430 - 2016 WINS: $5,565 - 2017 WINS: $1,255
Jun 5, 2007
324 posts
535 upvotes
Ontario
Thank you for all your answers about the Canadian Tire product testing, they were very helpful and made me more excited! I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival, will post back about what I end up getting. :)
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3116 posts
3861 upvotes
Ontario
Hotdiggety wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 5:36 am
Contesting is definitely not what it used to be. This is the first time I've ever seen that there was no car giveaway at the Toronto Auto Show. Sponsors everywhere seem to be cutting back.
Wasn't there a Mazda being given away? Think that was the only car I knew about being an in-show ballot contest unless it is being run at all Cdn auto shows.
Surfing 2017.😎 Wins: $50 gc, Starbucks coffee & 40 bonus stars
Dec 30, 1969
14 posts
6 upvotes
Strathmore, AB
BobSagget wrote:

Enable it here:

I am loving this feature. Thanks RFD for keeping my contesting life organized :)
Apr 3, 2010
268 posts
168 upvotes
Ciel wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 1:21 pm
Wasn't there a Mazda being given away? Think that was the only car I knew about being an in-show ballot contest unless it is being run at all Cdn auto shows.
I think you may be thinking of this contest. The prize was not a car, though:

2017-04-23-2017-mazda-mx-5-rf-experienc ... w-2075977/

That's actually my point. In the past, Mazda did give away a car.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3116 posts
3861 upvotes
Ontario
Hotdiggety wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 2:02 pm
I think you may be thinking of this contest. The prize was not a car, though:

2017-04-23-2017-mazda-mx-5-rf-experienc ... w-2075977/

That's actually my point. In the past, Mazda did give away a car.
OK, valid point. Thought a car was involved. I know what you mean about car giveaways-seemed that TADA used to give $40K towards a car purchase and one or more manufacturers also had cars for winning.
Surfing 2017.😎 Wins: $50 gc, Starbucks coffee & 40 bonus stars
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
4537 posts
15004 upvotes
Halifax
On top of less prizes, I think there are also a helluva lot more cheaters out there. Bots, programs, vote buying, people who enter themselves under 5 different names/emails, those who steal online pics/ideas/stories/recipes and pass off as their own, etc. The odds are lowered for honest contestors.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
4537 posts
15004 upvotes
Halifax
lemmiwinks123 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 5:24 pm
I'm having trouble using my Visa Prepaid card this time. Amazon now says: "We're writing to let you know that we are having difficulty processing your payment for the above order.
To protect your security and privacy, your issuing bank cannot provide us with information regarding why your payment was declined. Since we cannot process payment at this stage, we have canceled the following gift card(s):" I tried using your method of using it on my cellphone bill but when I go to enter the credit card info it doesn't let me enter the expiration date which is 2030. It doesn't even go up that high and then gets declined. No idea how I'm going to use it now :(
I'm sure you did, but did you check the balance?

Also, for many prepaid cards now, if you want to shop online, you first have to go to the card website and enter your postal code to be connected to your card. Extra layer of security I guess.

I hope you can get it working!

Ps...I think I remember doing something online to activate the gap card...but I'm sorry, so long ago, I can't remember what it was....
Jun 5, 2007
324 posts
535 upvotes
Ontario
Manduh wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 11:58 am
Thank you for all your answers about the Canadian Tire product testing, they were very helpful and made me more excited! I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival, will post back about what I end up getting. :)
My product arrived today, I got a Dyson V6 Slim Extra! Holy smokes! I'm actually excited to vacuum tomorrow ha!
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
2136 posts
1249 upvotes
Toronto
Has anyone who did a Canadian Tire test panel review ever been selected to do a second one?
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
1066 posts
2411 upvotes
Ontario
pickmepickme wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 11:34 am
Has anyone who did a Canadian Tire test panel review ever been selected to do a second one?
not for me yet
Jan 30, 2016
195 posts
288 upvotes
Halifax, NS
pickmepickme wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 11:34 am
I may have missed the boat, but how do I sign up to do one?
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel