Contests

[Other] Contest Discussion(s)

Feb 3, 2015
328 posts
4135 upvotes
Ontario
The first time I've been asked to send my drivers liscense to claim a prize and it's only a $100 GC, lol. They also want a photo-sharing release form with witness signature.

I just think it's funny how different it is between companies. Last month I won the exact same prize from a different bank on Twitter and they didn't even ask me a STQ. Face With Rolling Eyes
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
13975 posts
3077 upvotes
Anyone ever won a Hearst publications prize? Just wondering after entering them these past several years. So, how many years am I up to without a major win on a U.S. based contest? 45 years now...
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2016
4337 posts
4495 upvotes
GTA, ON
DougO wrote:
May 11th, 2017 8:13 am
Anyone ever won a Hearst publications prize? Just wondering after entering them these past several years. So, how many years am I up to without a major win on a U.S. based contest? 45 years now...
It does get discouraging at times. I haven't been contesting as long, but I feel the pain. I cut back a lot this year from sources that I considered a waste of time.
Apr 3, 2010
252 posts
147 upvotes
DougO wrote:
May 11th, 2017 8:13 am
You're wasting your time with Hearst. They're long-running contests, which use what's called "creative presentations". That means that the same contest runs in many different magazines. To pick a winner, they first pick a magazine, and then the prize winner from the entrants to that magazine's contest only. So if you don't enter in every magazine that contest runs in, you don't have any chance at all, if they don't choose that particular media. You have a better chance of winning the Lotto Max this weekend, than winning a Hearst contest.

Winning a US contest is hard enough, because of the much larger number of entrants involved. Hearst makes it almost impossible.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
3548 posts
14148 upvotes
Halifax
I won a skin cream basket on a hearst contest a few years ago. I don't have a problem adding them to my list when it's sparse, but I drop them during busy times, the odds are low, no question.

But, it only takes one to win on any contest. ;)
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2009
3045 posts
17837 upvotes
North York
Can anyone post the link to the Canadian Tire Spin to Win? I must have deleted it and I cannot find it when I do a search.\
Thank you!
Jan 30, 2016
188 posts
306 upvotes
Halifax, NS
It's been a very slow year so far, but I had a dream last night that I won 3 contests today, so... fingers crossed??
Deal Guru
Jan 17, 2009
14439 posts
17931 upvotes
ONTARIO
ImagineCH wrote:
May 16th, 2017 5:58 am
It's been a very slow year so far, but I had a dream last night that I won 3 contests today, so... fingers crossed??
Yeah, it's been the same for me. Very slow year. So far I've won some books. My last big win was last November. Hopefully things pick up for everyone in the same boat!
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3356 posts
4310 upvotes
Ontario
ImagineCH wrote:
May 16th, 2017 5:58 am
That's a good dream to have!
Surfing 2017.😎 Summer contest slump.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3356 posts
4310 upvotes
Ontario
I've entered a handful of Hearst Publication contests but aside from the prospect of winning a big prize, the long contest dates are an issue (one rather wants to win sooner over later) beside the possible US prize claim conditions. I noticed that the same contest running in a Dr. Oz The Good Life magazine is also offered on other Hearst magazine sites.
Surfing 2017.😎 Summer contest slump.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2016
4337 posts
4495 upvotes
GTA, ON
I'm also having a slow year. And to top it off, I haven't received one of my wins. The sponsor keeps apologizing. Very frustrating, going on over 2 months since win.