Contests

[Other] Contest Discussion(s)

Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
3077 posts
1066 upvotes
I've always had difficulty trying to track the contests which I've entered here because, mostly, I didn't want to pad my post stats to mark threads which have had my attention. So I wanted to do something different.

I've been using Firefox mostly for my contesting because it had an add-on which would highlight those threads I had bookmarked. It had one fatal flaw in that if you changed the title of the thread, it would no longer see it as bookmarked. If you change the title, it also changes the URL to match the thread title. The only constant is the thread-id.

And while I don't know if something is already exists and I've just missed it, I set about creating an add-on for Firefox to fix this issue. I could never grasp the concept of developing a Firefox add-on, so I gave up on the issue. Time passed and I decided to have another go, this time within Chrome. Developing for Chrome is certainly easier than Firefox, or it was. Firefox is now following the Chrome development model for WebExtensions.

To that end, I did complete my Chrome Extension, now found here https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... ijdojmhdkn This extension won't be found search through the webstore, it's only available at the direct link.

For me this was a good opportunity to learn regardless of whether or not I was re-inventing the wheel.

While WebExtensions are supposedly portable, at least 90% so, this extension does not work in Firefox. I do plan to fix the Firefox version at some point, though if there is enough interest (or any interest maybe) I can try and get Firefox working properly sooner.

The extension will sync with your google account, so it'll transfer between your installations of chrome.

What it will do, in short, is highlight links with a background color. It will do this for either threads you've entered or not entered. It will insert two buttons after each contest thread link, allowing you to click on what you're doing with that contest. It will add those to the appropriate bookmark folder. (The folders are created on installation). You'll be able to see, at a glance, if you've entered the contest in that thread or if you've decided you weren't eligible or just didn't want to enter. It has screenshots on the webstore.

I know some use the upvote method of tracking and this is not meant to replace upvoting. Those who do share contests do a lot of work and their effort still needs to be acknowledged.

If you have any questions or remarks, let me know.
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2013
12483 posts
3188 upvotes
Toronto
Any social media savvy folks out there? I've been entering the Oreo Dunk Contest daily, but I went all out on my last video on Instagram. Weirdly, though, it doesn't appear when I search for the #OreoDunkContest hashtag (even though I definitely used it, and spelled it correctly, in my post). Any idea why it wouldn't show up?
Wishing everyone a lucky 2017!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5671 posts
2688 upvotes
Victoria
sherlockmandango wrote:
May 1st, 2017 8:57 am
Any social media savvy folks out there? I've been entering the Oreo Dunk Contest daily, but I went all out on my last video on Instagram. Weirdly, though, it doesn't appear when I search for the #OreoDunkContest hashtag (even though I definitely used it, and spelled it correctly, in my post). Any idea why it wouldn't show up?
Is your profile private? What's your IG name? I could try looking for it to see if it's just something funny on your end.
Jan 16, 2012
567 posts
4114 upvotes
Ontario
sherlockmandango wrote:
May 1st, 2017 8:57 am
Instagram might have shadowbanned you. http://lifehacker.com/how-to-see-if-you ... 1794547574
2017 4 wins/$285 2016 - 16 win/$8,960 2015 - 20 wins/$6,333 2014 - 19 wins/$1,187 2013 - 22 wins/$1,664, 2012 - 21 wins/$10,259, 2011 - 1 win/$5,000 The person that said winning isn't everything, never won anything. ~Mia Hamm
Jan 16, 2012
567 posts
4114 upvotes
Ontario
I thought by now we'd have heard of some winners from the AIR MILES - All Aboard Cruise Giveaway
2017-04-06-air-miles-all-aboard-cruise- ... r-2088076/

1.300 prizes and ended early April. :(
2017 4 wins/$285 2016 - 16 win/$8,960 2015 - 20 wins/$6,333 2014 - 19 wins/$1,187 2013 - 22 wins/$1,664, 2012 - 21 wins/$10,259, 2011 - 1 win/$5,000 The person that said winning isn't everything, never won anything. ~Mia Hamm
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2013
12483 posts
3188 upvotes
Toronto
ActonSue wrote:
May 1st, 2017 8:21 pm
I thought by now we'd have heard of some winners from the AIR MILES - All Aboard Cruise Giveaway
2017-04-06-air-miles-all-aboard-cruise- ... r-2088076/

1.300 prizes and ended early April. :(
Don't worry. Winners aren't being picked until July. Section 7: Winner Selection.

I'm still hunting down some outstanding entries.
Wishing everyone a lucky 2017!
Jan 16, 2012
567 posts
4114 upvotes
Ontario
sherlockmandango wrote:
May 1st, 2017 9:05 pm
Hmmm. The little tool on that site says I'm OK. Not sure what's going on...
What's your IG user name? I can check if I see it.
May 18, 2011
2 posts
Calgary
Hi! New to this forum, so hoping this is ok to post. I searched and didn't find the topic. I won tickets to an Advance Screening of Guardians of the Galaxy 2! Super excited, but also our first time doing an advance screening. I know tickets are oversold so hoping for some advice from people who go to these-how early should my husband and I go? Once you are in the theatre are you allowed back out before the movie to get concessions?

How bad are the lineups? I don't want to go 1.5 hours early to end up getting turned away or the worst seats in the house.

Any help appreciated! Thanks!!
Sep 28, 2013
311 posts
246 upvotes
ClarksMomma wrote:
May 2nd, 2017 12:57 pm
Hi! New to this forum, so hoping this is ok to post. I searched and didn't find the topic. I won tickets to an Advance Screening of Guardians of the Galaxy 2! Super excited, but also our first time doing an advance screening. I know tickets are oversold so hoping for some advice from people who go to these-how early should my husband and I go? Once you are in the theatre are you allowed back out before the movie to get concessions?

How bad are the lineups? I don't want to go 1.5 hours early to end up getting turned away or the worst seats in the house.

If you don't mind sitting near front row or go solo you can arrive 15 mins before the film starts without problems for most screenings although Guardians I imagine being super popular. If you want good seats and are with someone else I try to go about an hour before and haven't had any problems. As for lines it depends on the popularity of the film. I remember going to see Kingsman: The Secret Service and the line up was huuuuge. Other's there has barely been a line. Also yes you can go get concessions after you get your seat so that part wont be a problem as long as you have someone / something to save your seat. So if you go 1.5 hours early you should be good.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
4600 posts
15097 upvotes
Halifax
ClarksMomma wrote:
May 2nd, 2017 12:57 pm

It's prob depending on where? Here in Halifax, we usually go 30-45 minutes before for advance screenings and never have a problem. Not everyone shows up, that's why they oversell. But if you're in a bigger city, you might want to give longer, especially for a popular movie like this one. For a free movie, you kind of have to just take the seat you get, unless you want to go hours before and be first in line.

Yes, you can go back out and get snacks after you're in.

Enjoy!
May 1, 2017
11 posts
25 upvotes
New to RFD. I review Video Games as a hobby and was fortunate enough to receive a code from a Publisher/Developer to give away. Glancing through the rules I wasn't sure of where to post so...can I post a Twitter contest on RFD, and if so, where should it go? Thanks!
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel