[Other] Contest Discussion(s)

Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
4600 posts
15097 upvotes
Halifax
AdamRoffel wrote:
May 2nd, 2017 3:06 pm
New to RFD. I review Video Games as a hobby and was fortunate enough to receive a code from a Publisher/Developer to give away. Glancing through the rules I wasn't sure of where to post so...can I post a Twitter contest on RFD, and if so, where should it go? Thanks!
That's really nice of you!

When I have codes to give away, I usually just post it here and say first one to PM me gets it.
May 1, 2017
11 posts
25 upvotes
Thanks for reply Tracy. I would normally if I was just clearing out codes that I had extra, but this one was specifically given for a Facebook or Twitter contest. I need to provide the Publisher proof of the 'contest.' If I had just purchased a code to give away, yah your way works. But this is a tad different! Any advice? Does posting a RT + Follow contest considered self promotion (which I believe is against the rules)!
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
4600 posts
15097 upvotes
Halifax
AdamRoffel wrote:
May 2nd, 2017 3:31 pm
Thanks for reply Tracy. I would normally if I was just clearing out codes that I had extra, but this one was specifically given for a Facebook or Twitter contest. I need to provide the Publisher proof of the 'contest.' If I had just purchased a code to give away, yah your way works. But this is a tad different! Any advice? Does posting a RT + Follow contest considered self promotion (which I believe is against the rules)!
Oh, so you want to post a contest for the code? Sorry, I didn't get it. You're not allowed to ask for votes, but I don't see why you couldn't post a contest in the regular forum, as long as it's actually a real contest link.
May 1, 2017
11 posts
25 upvotes
Thanks Tracy! So in the general contest forum page I could post a thread about it?

It would be as simple as "Thanks to __________ and __________ we have a Digital copy of ____________ to give away for Xbox One! Follow the link below to Twitter, RT and Follow the Tweet to be entered! Contest closes 05/08!

Thoughts? I know how crazy people get when you break the rules. I'm not a rule breaker ;)
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2015
2825 posts
24815 upvotes
Filled out a survey for a local mall and it asked about gender which is now being asked as - Gender you identify with

Guess they have to be shown to be PC nowadays.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2006
4651 posts
6067 upvotes
Toronto
BK2006 wrote:
May 5th, 2017 11:27 am
Filled out a survey for a local mall and it asked about gender which is now being asked as - Gender you identify with

Guess they have to be shown to be PC nowadays.
Or maybe the person running the contest is transgender. Or someone else who works there. Or someone they know and love. There is no harm in sensitivity, only in insensitivity.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2015
2825 posts
24815 upvotes
spamgirl wrote:
May 5th, 2017 11:47 am
Or maybe the person running the contest is transgender. Or someone else who works there. Or someone they know and love. There is no harm in sensitivity, only in insensitivity.
Sorry if my post offended you, that was not my intention.

I was not being insensitive just stating some observations from my experience.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
4600 posts
15097 upvotes
Halifax
There appears to be a lot of Purchase PIN contests right, my list seems long.
Oct 13, 2015
22 posts
21 upvotes
I'm so overwhelmed with amount of emails I find myself getting! Most days it's between 350-500 (that not including my junk mail) What volume do other contesters find themselves receiving?
I have a combined personal/contest email (which has been a mistake) so maybe 20% of my emails are recipe/decorating newsletters, but the rest of them all lead back to a contest I entered at some point Disappointed Face I'm finding a lot more contests are requiring newsletter sign ups to enter. I also feel like my email might of gotten sold along the way..... I'm often reluctant to unsubscribe cause I can't be sure the email can't be traced back to something I entered and will get disqualified from if I unsubscribe.

I've had some ideas of starting a spreadsheet to track what I've signed up, when the contest ends and when I can unsubscribe, but I'm not sure if I'm overcomplicating it.

Then at work there's all the emails there! I'm starting to feel like my life is revolving too much around email lol

Does/has anyone felt the same way? Any email management tips?
Feb 22, 2012
501 posts
6764 upvotes
Quebec
Personally, I never bother to unsubscribe from newsletters. It all ends up up in the spam folder, which I look at quickly before deleting to make sure I don't miss anything important. I get about 60 spam e-mails a day, which I can get rid of quickly.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
4600 posts
15097 upvotes
Halifax
My volume is low, but I unsubscribe from almost everything, or don't tick the "newsletter" option unless it's mandatory. In my experience, very few require you to stay signed up if you read the rules. It's usually noted as optional. For those few mandatory ones that make me crazy with tons of emails, I unsubscribe as soon as contest is drawn.

If you're unsure, you can look up the sponsor and past contests to see if they're over or if it's mandatory, before you unsubscribe.

I also highly recommend setting up a contests only email, so it doesn't drive you crazy. ;)
Dec 19, 2010
619 posts
4826 upvotes
Vancouver
Spend a few days hitting unsubscribe. I do this every few months. I only keep the ones i know are subscription dependant and there is a contest end date in the near future.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
8856 posts
13513 upvotes
I seem to get a lot of author related email...which I did not sign up for.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2009
1840 posts
2925 upvotes
My all time favourites are the unsubscribe buttons that don't work Angry Face
Dec 10, 2009
706 posts
4736 upvotes
Victoria
ishfish wrote:
May 7th, 2017 8:09 pm
I seem to get a lot of author related email...which I did not sign up for.
I recently foolishly entered an author related contest. I should have known better. Been unsubscribing the last two weeks! So many author emails Angry Face Never again!!!
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel