Contests

[Other] Contest Discussion(s)

Jan 16, 2012
451 posts
4063 upvotes
Ontario
Ciel wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 9:31 am
@ActonSue -Congratulations on your win! The contest website indicated all winners would be contacted by June 24. However, their social media channels and website do not provide an update as to whether all prize winners have been contacted as yet.
Thank you! :) Did they run 2 contests? A copy of the rules they sent me said it closed April 30 and winners would be picked on May 16th. I figured I was a second round pick (someone didn't reply) since I received the email mid June.
2017 8 wins/$9,088 2016 - 16 win/$8,960 2015 - 20 wins/$6,333 2014 - 19 wins/$1,187 2013 - 22 wins/$1,664, 2012 - 21 wins/$10,259, 2011 - 1 win/$5,000 The person that said winning isn't everything, never won anything. ~Mia Hamm
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3356 posts
4310 upvotes
Ontario
The Cheers to Spring contest ran through May. The Wines of Chile contest was by a different sponsor (though Mother's Day themed) and ended around June 8 (no update on that winner yet). Either way, a high value gift card appealed to me!
Surfing 2017.😎 Summer contest slump.
Deal Expert
Dec 22, 2006
38016 posts
25110 upvotes
Economy
Is anyone else suffering from Captcha rage?
Or do I just need a break from contesting?
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1700 posts
1091 upvotes
Toronto
valeriey wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 8:58 am
If you're having to start over with them repeatedly, because they "fail", then I'm in the same boat. Really infuriating!
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2016
4324 posts
4490 upvotes
GTA, ON
valeriey wrote:
No Captcha rage here. But I do feel I need a break from contesting.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2015
2822 posts
25101 upvotes
valeriey wrote:
yes the last few days. esp. with captchas that ask you to click all images and then its not satisfied when you do and you have to start on a whole new set
Sep 28, 2013
307 posts
243 upvotes
The type of captcha where you just click the items and that's all work fine for me. The one's that "disappear" and reload a new one in the same box I have problems with many times.
Mar 7, 2009
169 posts
922 upvotes
Bowmanville
pickmepickme wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 9:29 am
If you're having to start over with them repeatedly, because they "fail", then I'm in the same boat. Really infuriating!
Lately the ones saying choose "car" or "road" do not work for me. The image I click on fades away and is replaced by another image.

I have to keep telling it to reload until get choose "vehicle" or "street signs" or something else.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2006
4620 posts
6037 upvotes
Toronto
pickmepickme wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 9:29 am
Those captchas aren't even truly checking if you're a robot, it's just a way to get free labour out of you. They "fail" so you'll do more and more for free. Even if you keep doing them wrong, you have to do just as many of them, and they end at the same point, too. Even Google has admitted they know you're not a robot but give you the captchas anyway. Typing words? You're transcribing for Google Books. Marking cars or signs? You're helping their self-driving car algorithms. Marking storefronts? You're helping Google Maps. All for free, and all a replacement for the jobs they used to have where people actually got paid to do this work. Capitalism at its finest.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2013
12813 posts
3196 upvotes
Toronto
spamgirl wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 11:47 am
Those captchas aren't even truly checking if you're a robot, it's just a way to get free labour out of you. They "fail" so you'll do more and more for free. Even if you keep doing them wrong, you have to do just as many of them, and they end at the same point, too. Even Google has admitted they know you're not a robot but give you the captchas anyway. Typing words? You're transcribing for Google Books. Marking cars or signs? You're helping their self-driving car algorithms. Marking storefronts? You're helping Google Maps. All for free, and all a replacement for the jobs they used to have where people actually got paid to do this work. Capitalism at its finest.
How do they verify the information if they don't already have the correct answer, though?

If you're marking cars/signs, for example, how do they know you're actually marking the correct photos unless they already have them marked as cars/signs?

And if so, what's the value to them of you marking it again? Verification?
Wishing everyone a lucky 2017!
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2010
21296 posts
2220 upvotes
North Vancouver
They must work on percentages. If 99% identify a photo as a car, then it will go into their "car confirmed" file.

What would be truly wonderful is if everyone were to purposefully identify a tree as a car, then they'd be screwed!
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
3256 posts
1088 upvotes
sherlockmandango wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 11:55 am
How do they verify the information if they don't already have the correct answer, though?

If you're marking cars/signs, for example, how do they know you're actually marking the correct photos unless they already have them marked as cars/signs?

And if so, what's the value to them of you marking it again? Verification?
I suspect it is for verification - to your point, they must already have the 'answer' and so your input is matching it up to their answer. Where the captcha fails is perhaps where either a) the user is erroneously or purposely putting in the incorrect answer or b) the user is putting in the correct answer but it doesn't match up to what Big Brother has on their end and so they look at those cases closer to make any corrections on their end if necessary.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1700 posts
1091 upvotes
Toronto
My annoying "fail", is that after I've done one "page" of items and am moved on to the next, I'm now often getting a window that pops up and tells me that, "cannot contact reCapcha. Please check your connection and try again". It's infuriating, because you can then choose "ok" in that box and you start all over again. This sometimes happens three times in a row, so I go through about 6 screenfuls of pictures, before I can submit my entry.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2009
1507 posts
2774 upvotes
lately I have been asked to click on the car image and all I have are signs. Funny thing is that many of the times I just click on the signs and it goes thru. Would love to know how that messes them up.
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
13969 posts
3070 upvotes
Has anyone won on the Sugar Crisp instant win? I play every day but haven't won so much as a coupon.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)