Contests

[Other] Contest Discussion(s)

Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
14087 posts
3174 upvotes
Rosibal wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 1:40 pm
Capchas are running crazy today -none of them work (you answer one and then you get a slew of more capchas to complete) and heard already from several people that are entering contests...what's going on?
Had a lot of trouble with the U.S. based ones. Less so with the Canadian ones. Annoying at any rate...
Jan 16, 2012
580 posts
4179 upvotes
Ontario
Kesali wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 3:26 pm
Second round of e-mails for the Air Miles "All Aboard" Cruise contest went out this Monday past. Double-check your spam folders. :)

It's my bet the next two Mondays will see more e-mails go out.
Surprised we haven't heard of more winners. I think there was only 1 from RFD? I'm guessing this round are the unclaimed ones from the first round? I seem to recall you have 72 hours to reply.
2017 8 wins/$9,088 2016 - 16 win/$8,960 2015 - 20 wins/$6,333 2014 - 19 wins/$1,187 2013 - 22 wins/$1,664, 2012 - 21 wins/$10,259, 2011 - 1 win/$5,000 The person that said winning isn't everything, never won anything. ~Mia Hamm
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2013
12884 posts
3453 upvotes
Toronto
ActonSue wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 9:01 am
Surprised we haven't heard of more winners. I think there was only 1 from RFD? I'm guessing this round are the unclaimed ones from the first round? I seem to recall you have 72 hours to reply.
Yeah, the whole thing has me suspicious. There are definitely more winners out there, based on Facebook, but I expected a lot of RFDers to pipe in. We don't know how many winners were notified on the last two Mondays... Ah well. Just be vigilant about checking your inbox!
Wishing everyone a lucky 2017!
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3425 posts
4299 upvotes
Ontario
demon1102 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 2:23 pm
Are Canadian contests getting fewer? :rolleyes:
Seem to be cycling out of certain kinds of prizes (i.e. vacation credit or travel gift cards in relation to Canada's 150th birthday). Keep looking for back to school contests-Bed Bath & Beyond has the makeover contest.
I have not seen any Cdn contest giving away DVD copies of The Ghost in the Shell live action movie. At least two women's magazines in the US are giving away DVDs with iPad minis-US only.

Cash prize contests are rare. It was gold to notice that the Stoneleigh Wines' prize of trip for two to New Zealand could be exchanged for $10K in cash. My kind of contest...
Surfing 2017.😎 Summer contest slump.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3425 posts
4299 upvotes
Ontario
natalka wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 9:36 pm
erika, I thought the same as you - but there was a big contest for it that ended in April, a Campbell's soup one - there were tons of cash prizes, gift packs, and a guest appearance on the show.
Speaking of Campbell's-I never saw a winners' list of winning soups from the 2015 Movember contest to make and name your soup entries. Who won the big bucks $25000? and the glory of seeing their soup in the store after the final competition? I won't be entering those soup contests again (lots of time to come up with a soup).
Jan 30, 2016
223 posts
337 upvotes
Halifax, NS
This is only my second year contesting. Last year was awesome and exciting and it kept me going. This year I've only won two small prizes. How do you keep going, staying motivated, during a slump?
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3425 posts
4299 upvotes
Ontario
ImagineCH wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2017 4:53 pm
This is only my second year contesting. Last year was awesome and exciting and it kept me going. This year I've only won two small prizes. How do you keep going, staying motivated, during a slump?
It helps to read of members winning something in the contests. Also if members are noticing a trend in weekly or daily winners seeming favouring a region or province or experiencing technical difficulties with online entry methods. Each one of us has our personal lists of contests worth entering (winners posted, social media updated regularly, decent range of prizes) and contests to second-guess (winners are not posted, same kind of prizes or contests over and over under different names, etc.) spending time entering.

Right now, I like to be a $1000/wk Cash for Life winner but my three tickets have only resulted in a $4 win. No big cash prize win nor gift card win (especially. if it's a Visa, MC, or favoured store card) has materialized in 2017 and I'm not happy.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2016
4131 posts
4238 upvotes
GTA, ON
ImagineCH wrote:
I've been taking a bit of a break from contesting. Limit how much time you spend on contests. I find that helps me.
Nov 1, 2013
15 posts
21 upvotes
Kitchener
ImagineCH wrote:
I have been contesting for about 12 years and last year was my lowest. This year is even worse...but I keep going because I have won a few big prizes over the years when the odds were astronomical. I just keep going because I know it will happen again. I don't enter for many of the small prizes anymore, so this is one reason my wins are way down...how many t-shirts, etc, do I really need...lol
Mar 7, 2009
179 posts
802 upvotes
Bowmanville
ImagineCH wrote:
I stay motivated by remembering past prizes won. To keep going I set a routine early on. For me, it's easiest entering contests in the morning. I'm awake and at my computer by 6 AM. I spend the first hour entering all my daily contests with a cup of tea beside me. The kids are asleep and the house is quiet! Then I check out new contests. So I spend up to 1 1/2 hours in the morning before anyone else is awake.

Also, like someone else mentioned, I don't enter *every* contest. I enter a lot but only those prizes I would really love to win. Trips are at the top of my list. Cash, RV/trailers, cars, boats, bikes, hot tub, backyard make-over, furniture.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2009
3131 posts
17187 upvotes
North York
Is there any reason you can think that we do not win big prizes this year? do you think the contests are compromised, aka, entrants are manipulating the entry forms like our Quebecois friends a while ago? I really do not understand otherwise
Jul 9, 2013
922 posts
5922 upvotes
Ontario
Right now I am #4 behind what I believe to be a cheater or 2 in the Pizza Pizza Raise a Slice final votes, and #1 might be some sort of contest/scheme based on the comments on their photo. Anyone seen anything like that? Just wondering what the heck is happening that people are having to post "8098 Dublin" and stuff like that under the picture.

Sort by "Total Votes" to see the top entries

http://wyng.com/FacebookCampaignOnWebpa ... 087&rest=1
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2013
12884 posts
3453 upvotes
Toronto
KellyH905 wrote:
Jul 24th, 2017 10:17 am
Right now I am #4 behind what I believe to be a cheater or 2 in the Pizza Pizza Raise a Slice final votes, and #1 might be some sort of contest/scheme based on the comments on their photo. Anyone seen anything like that? Just wondering what the heck is happening that people are having to post "8098 Dublin" and stuff like that under the picture.

Vote contests are often fraught with fraudulent participation, to the point that I'm disappointed that sponsors continue to use them.
Wishing everyone a lucky 2017!
Mar 7, 2009
179 posts
802 upvotes
Bowmanville
KellyH905 wrote:
Jul 24th, 2017 10:17 am

I was curious so I looked. I believe the numbers people are posting is the vote # she's at when they voted for her. Right now she has 9721 votes. So the next person might comment saying 9722.

Also I googled her link for her PP voting page (at the top of her photo) and a whole slew of websites come up where she's asked people to vote daily for her at that link. For some reason some people are commenting where they live. I guess to let her know what city her vote comes from.

I just voted for you! Good luck!