Contests

[Other] Contest Discussion(s)

Nov 4, 2010
101 posts
41 upvotes
Vancouver
When you sign up to a contest, do you guys (who seem to always be winning contests!?) always subscribe or "opt in" to emails etc etc? Or do you only do it when they require you?
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2006
4640 posts
6056 upvotes
Toronto
malarkey01 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 11:31 am
When you sign up to a contest, do you guys (who seem to always be winning contests!?) always subscribe or "opt in" to emails etc etc? Or do you only do it when they require you?
Only when required and then I unsub as soon as it gets to my inbox.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2010
21370 posts
2313 upvotes
North Vancouver
spamgirl wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 11:52 am
Only when required and then I unsub as soon as it gets to my inbox.
Need to wait until winners have been chosen if only subscribers can win.
Sep 11, 2017
28 posts
127 upvotes
but the real question is....how have you won eat least a trip a year for the past 6 years?!
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3404 posts
4407 upvotes
Ontario
malarkey01 wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 2:10 pm
I have a question I've been wondering about.

I sign up for alot of contests but get annoyed with all the emails so i usually just unsubscribe from all the emails after I've entered. Do you think I could be missing out on winning contests because I have unsubscribed? Or, because it's a contest they will still email me as it's probably not considered a promotional email?
Just curious...thanks!
There are some contest sponsors that are worth keeping in your inbox because about the only way you will find out contest winners' news or announcements is through their e-newsletters. ED Smith and Chicken.ca are two such sponsors. However, they don't send mail everyday-just occasional updates related to themed recipes or Twitter chats and such...

I would see a point in unsubscribing from retail e-subscriptions-some stores might send one or more e-mails per day at this time of year for holiday gift giving time. It can drive a person bonkers.
Surfing 2017. Fall, show me the roll-out of prizes!
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
3740 posts
15007 upvotes
Halifax
The only time I ever subscribe is if it’s required for the contest. If not, I unsubscribe from everything except, like Ciel said, the ones who often send out new Contests via email.

The ones that really annoy me are the ones who don’t tell you that entering means you’ll get added to their newsletter automatically.
Feb 11, 2015
670 posts
9934 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Well, on the note of subscriptions, and email. I get so much junk in some of my emails that I'm glad I created them for contests only. It's gotten to the point that I now just don't delete the emails, just hover over the unread ones and scan them so to speak. I could unsubscribe, but as contesting, this would be a real reoccurring problem (the signing out of subs thing). Whatever works, I guess.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2006
4640 posts
6056 upvotes
Toronto
katrinabadina wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 4:16 pm
but the real question is....how have you won eat least a trip a year for the past 6 years?!
I'm pretty sure it's illegal for them to require that, they only thing they can require is that you signed up. Not 100% though.
May 6, 2009
93 posts
124 upvotes
Hamilton
katrinabadina wrote:
We're you referring to me Katrina?? I surprise even myself. Have won through Instagram, mostly through radio contests. Going away in December. Was originally to St. Maartin but the island was destroyed so rebooked to Mexico and trip was for 2 but asked if we could bring our kids and they said sure and included them for free. Just keep trying. I do it for fun or hobby. Most people ask me and give up after not winning anything after a couple weeks. It will come one day. Just stay in RFD cause the people here are amazing and always have new contests posted before you can even try to share them.
Wins
2017 - $15,275 (2 trips)
2016 - $18,645 (2 trips)
2015 - $9,250 (1 trip)
2014 - $8,200 (1 trip)
2013 - $36,145 (1 car & 2 trips)
2012 - $8600 (2 trips)
Deal Guru
Jan 17, 2009
14696 posts
18305 upvotes
ONTARIO
katrinabadina wrote:
Not who you were asking the question to, but it's all luck and perseverance.

You gotta be in it to win it! Just keep entering even if it feels pointless. Eventually you will get a win!
Sep 11, 2017
28 posts
127 upvotes
BobSagget wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 3:35 am
Not who you were asking the question to, but it's all luck and perseverance.

You gotta be in it to win it! Just keep entering even if it feels pointless. Eventually you will get a win!

yah thanks. I was asking Bobby Orr just because of all his crazy wins in his signature! I'm just a newbie but in it for the long haul (and the fun of it). He just seemed to have major wins! it was more of a rhetorical question actually... :)
Sep 7, 2007
43 posts
49 upvotes
Ottawa
The contester who came in from the cold: it's been a while since I was last here, but I was in the Siberian gulag of contesting (Quebec) on a mission. I'm back, but then again, I never really left. What did I miss?
;)
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3404 posts
4407 upvotes
Ontario
Next week, I expect the new contests for Forever Young News and City Parent will be live on their sites. I saw the paper editions for November arrive at our local site but the current contests end tomorrow.

Still empty on prize wins of late.
Surfing 2017. Fall, show me the roll-out of prizes!
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2009
1562 posts
2852 upvotes
There's a new contest that started today on Breakfast Television, but for the life of me I do not know where to find the entry form. They said you have to watch daily for the code words from today till Thursday so maybe the entry form will be up on their site on Thursday. Perhaps if someone finds the info they can post it. Best for GTA as you have to attend this Fridays show for a chance to win.

More info here: http://www.bttoronto.ca/videos/heres-yo ... -and-more/

Todays code word was: ODIN

I will not be entering and will not be watching for more code words.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

Wenda1