Contests

[Other] Contest Discussion(s)

Sep 6, 2011
68 posts
91 upvotes
Ontario
ImagineCH wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 1:05 pm
Make sure you read the rules, though. Some contests require manual entry.
it is manual technically, u still gotta click the fill button on each box, its not like it automatically goes and fills the entire form at a flick of a button, n thats what they mean by manually, they wouldnt be able to tell the difference anyways bcuz if theres a code or capatcha u still gotta click it/type it to enter if ur not a robot, this is just a tool to make form filling faster
Wins So Far From UrBeats By Dre Ear Buds, GoPro Hero 4 Session, Nexus 6P Cell Phone, Reeses Prize Pack With a Bunch Of Items & $150 Gift Card,, Sony Wireless Headphones, Sony Xperia Cell Phone, IPad Mini 3, Xbox one, Molson Canadian Beer Fridge (value $3000) & More
Sep 6, 2011
68 posts
91 upvotes
Ontario
its also kinda like how if u have entered a contest that is using the same JS PHP XSS script that most are run on and have done it 2-3 times within a reasonable time u no longer need to really type u just double click n what u typed before is there already, or type the first letter/number press down arrow then tab type thing. its not automatic it just is an easier way of doing it
Wins So Far From UrBeats By Dre Ear Buds, GoPro Hero 4 Session, Nexus 6P Cell Phone, Reeses Prize Pack With a Bunch Of Items & $150 Gift Card,, Sony Wireless Headphones, Sony Xperia Cell Phone, IPad Mini 3, Xbox one, Molson Canadian Beer Fridge (value $3000) & More
Jan 30, 2016
236 posts
429 upvotes
Halifax, NS
kamoklick wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 1:10 pm
it is manual technically, u still gotta click the fill button on each box, its not like it automatically goes and fills the entire form at a flick of a button, n thats what they mean by manually, they wouldnt be able to tell the difference anyways bcuz if theres a code or capatcha u still gotta click it/type it to enter if ur not a robot, this is just a tool to make form filling faster
You're right. Most of the time it doesn't matter but occasionally rules say "manually keystroked" which means typed in. I don't know if/how they can tell but I would not want to be disqualified because of it.
Mar 29, 2011
476 posts
1791 upvotes
White Rock, BC
ImagineCH wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 8:33 pm
You're right. Most of the time it doesn't matter but occasionally rules say "manually keystroked" which means typed in. I don't know if/how they can tell but I would not want to be disqualified because of it.
I've discovered something. When I manually type in my name, address, etc. the background colour of the fill in the blanks, which is usually white, remains the same colour. However, when I am given the option in Chrome to fill in the blanks for me, the background behind my name, etc. turns a yellow colour. Not sure if they can see that on their end too, but I'm not willing to risk it. Test it out and see what I mean. The only site where it makes no difference seems to be with the Landmark cinema contests.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2009
3258 posts
19333 upvotes
North York
grace1972 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 12:36 am
I've discovered something. When I manually type in my name, address, etc. the background colour of the fill in the blanks, which is usually white, remains the same colour. However, when I am given the option in Chrome to fill in the blanks for me, the background behind my name, etc. turns a yellow colour. Not sure if they can see that on their end too, but I'm not willing to risk it. Test it out and see what I mean. The only site where it makes no difference seems to be with the Landmark cinema contests.
Someone in this forum told me that I am the only one that can see the colour difference, not the sponsor
Nov 24, 2017
13 posts
4 upvotes
Curious about these contests. What if you prefer to remain anonymous on the web but you must use Facebook or Twitter to enter contests? Can you use a fake name without it being a problem? I am guessing that not everyone wants to share their real names online so how does someone get around it?
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2006
4651 posts
6080 upvotes
Toronto
SB4Deals wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 2:00 pm
Curious about these contests. What if you prefer to remain anonymous on the web but you must use Facebook or Twitter to enter contests? Can you use a fake name without it being a problem? I am guessing that not everyone wants to share their real names online so how does someone get around it?
I use a fake name on my FB account, it's never been a problem.
Mar 29, 2011
476 posts
1791 upvotes
White Rock, BC
Rosibal wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 10:42 am
Someone in this forum told me that I am the only one that can see the colour difference, not the sponsor
Hi Rosibal, not sure we actually know if the sponsor can see the colour difference or not. Unless you received this information directly from someone hosting the contests, I'd err on the side of caution, rather than getting disqualified. :)
Mar 29, 2011
476 posts
1791 upvotes
White Rock, BC
spamgirl wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 2:36 pm
I use a fake name on my FB account, it's never been a problem.
Hi spamgirl, I think it really depends on what the contest prize is and how sticky the rules are. I for example won the grand prize in the Cashmere Voutre to Win contest about 3 weeks back, a $1000 gift card, and I used my Facebook account which is under my maiden name, although it's linked to my email which is under my married name. They wouldn't accept my marriage certificate or birth certificate as proof of identity and were adamant that I had to send them a picture i.d. I haven't had picture i.d. with my maiden name in years, and even turned my house over looking for my old university student i.d., which I couldn't find (go figure, you'd think something from 20 years ago would be easy to find...lol). They probably wouldn't have accepted that anyways and would have wanted something current. Hence I was disqualified! Just be careful and read the contest rules thoroughly.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
3816 posts
15531 upvotes
Halifax
We've had the manual vs form fillers argument many times here ;). Personally, I couldn't do contesting if I had to fill everything in manually. I use a form filler, but not one that does multiple forms at a time. Just a click to fill in my contact info. The rare chance that a sponsor is actually bothering to set up a way to check for keystrokes isn’t enough of a risk for me to change the way I do things.

But everyone has to figure out their own way they want to manage their contests.
Mar 29, 2011
476 posts
1791 upvotes
White Rock, BC
Tracydeanne wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 5:48 pm
We've had the manual vs form fillers argument many times here ;). Personally, I couldn't do contesting if I had to fill everything in manually. I use a form filler, but not one that does multiple forms at a time. Just a click to fill in my contact info. The rare chance that a sponsor is actually bothering to set up a way to check for keystrokes isn’t enough of a risk for me to change the way I do things.

But everyone has to figure out their own way they want to manage their contests.
Tracydeanne, well put! I used to be an avid Roboform user, but now I actually don't mind entering manually if by chance it does matter. I enter about 100 contests daily and it takes me about 30 minutes in total...plus the bonus is I've become quite the little typist (from 50 words per minute to about 75....fun, fun, fun...lol). However, as you've said why would sponsors be checking keystrokes and people really do have to find their own way and what works best for them. Good luck in your contesting! :)
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2016
4924 posts
4919 upvotes
GTA, ON
Last month of 2017.

Good Luck everyone.

Crazy Christmas contest time. Have fun.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
3816 posts
15531 upvotes
Halifax
I was thinking of posting Instagram contests and posted one, but got overwhelmed. There are dozens. So...public service announcement, check out Instagram for holiday Contests. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

Tracydeanne