[Other] Contest Discussion(s)

Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3841 posts
5240 upvotes
Ontario
Tracydeanne wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 9:56 pm
I find the monthly contest list gets shorter every year. I wonder if sponsors are giving up on this type of promo.
Could be the increased costs that seem to come out every January for businesses. Some contests failed to show up for holiday 2017 too.
Seeking shopping sprees or a pot of gold.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3841 posts
5240 upvotes
Ontario
Nothing came out of the many contests I had entered via Twitter or the Advent contests on various sites (including public Facebook pages).
I'll laugh if I win a gift card this month.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2009
1806 posts
3014 upvotes
With the new year I have been really going gung ho with my new email address. I have been coming across quite a few road blocks trying to change my email address on some sites. Some I have had to completely delete my profile and start new. My biggest problem that I cannot figure out and hope someone here can help me is that some sites I have logged in via FB and even though I have changed my FB account to my new email address when I log in via FB on some sites it still uses my old email address.

How can I delete an account that I used FB to register with?
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
15374 posts
3734 upvotes
Ciel wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 4:21 pm
Nothing came out of the many contests I had entered via Twitter or the Advent contests on various sites (including public Facebook pages).
I'll laugh if I win a gift card this month.
Yeah, me too on Twitter. Nothing in the 4 or 5 years I have been there. Lotsa spam though. A few I'm going to give up on like the U.S. magazine ones that run for many months to a year or ones that want you to be creative but use your face or your family's faces in pictures sent to them. I have to draw the line on stuff like that. I'm going to have to go through and delete as much spam email from these contests as possible as they have cluttered up my email inbox for far too long. I'd get off the mailing lists but then have to go back on them to enter the latest contests, so you can't win (literally). So it goes...
Jan 17, 2018
1 posts
Hi contesters,

I have a question. How do manage the tons of spam you inevitably receive when you submit your email in a contest? Even if it is a dedicated contesting email, you end up getting dozens of promo emails daily. A winning-notification email could easily get lost in all that. What do you do?

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2009
1806 posts
3014 upvotes
usedusername wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 3:30 pm
Hi contesters,

I have a question. How do manage the tons of spam you inevitably receive when you submit your email in a contest? Even if it is a dedicated contesting email, you end up getting dozens of promo emails daily. A winning-notification email could easily get lost in all that. What do you do?

Thanks!
You have to be diligent and look at all your emails. You don't have to open all of them but check any that you may think might be a win. Most will come with Congrats or Winning Notification in the subject line but I have gotten a few that were not titled like that. Set up your email to put anything that has the word contest, winner, congrats ....etc to go directly to your inbox. I have been contesting since 2001 off and on and just this year changed my contest email address to something new. The spam will come unfortunately but hopefully the wins will come also.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3841 posts
5240 upvotes
Ontario
I don't have any advice for changing email addresses using Facebook but I've noticed some websites where I order freebies may have changed something about their users' access (i.e how users name themselves on the site and change to email addresses for user names) so the older e-mail address still seems known to the site but one's password no longer works. For example, last year, Ontario Travel changed their user name policy and my regular Yahoo address seemed known but my password was not. In the end, I had to email the admin this month for account reset or unlock in order to change my password and order my desired items on the site.
Penalty Box
Feb 11, 2015
995 posts
13257 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'm glad I started the discussion on honesty and temptation. I'm sure everyone is in the same boat at some points. To note though, you're actually losing money lotsa times reselling the stuff as people that buy it at full price want everything included right up to the receipt. There are times I get really good seats and realize I could never get such good seats. There are perks to it. But to note, I think the "rule" of reselling is there because the government of Canada does not want Canadians from low income homes (I think that's the supposition) to gamble and have other means to add to their income. So why do "normal" income makers still play contests to win prizes? I don't think the sponsor really cares what happens to it, and if it's a gift, it's yours, right? You also spend your time on these contests. There are times when it gets really frustrating.

Anyways, I'll leave it at honesty and temptation and won't go as far back as the bible and have my collection of rocks for disposal. No one is casting anything. At least not in this weather..

After all, I don't think the sponsor wants YOU. I think they wants an advertisement for the product and everyone plays.

Was just thinking about what I wrote above, and landed on another hypocrisy. If contest good can't be exchanged for money, are money contests lotteries than but still have the same rules?? I'll quit, no one likes a whiner. Wishing everyone a happy 2018 and hope life make you miserable with lotsa, lotsa contest prizes. Good luck.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2016
5793 posts
5595 upvotes
GTA, ON
Rafflecopter seems to be down. Not loading on sites for me today. Anybody else?
Jan 16, 2012
496 posts
4659 upvotes
Ontario
Social Media Blogger admits to rigging 2015 Instagram giveaways to award her friends

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 75826.html

Based in the UK, but I guess it does happen. :rolleyes:
2018 2 wins/$7,100 2017 8 wins/$9,088 2016 - 16 win/$8,960 2015 - 20 wins/$6,333 2014 - 19 wins/$1,187 2013 - 22 wins/$1,664, 2012 - 21 wins/$10,259, 2011 - 1 win/$5,000
Aug 18, 2006
173 posts
1621 upvotes
Waterloo
ActonSue wrote:
Jan 24th, 2018 3:27 pm
Social Media Blogger admits to rigging 2015 Instagram giveaways to award her friends

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 75826.html

Based in the UK, but I guess it does happen. :rolleyes:
The blogger is quoted as saying "I picked my brother's girlfriend and a close friend at the time to win a competition for a bracelet in 2015... I 100% should have picked somebody I didn’t know...".

I think she missed the point. She shouldn't have "picked" anyone. She should have done a random draw. :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
4098 posts
15961 upvotes
Halifax
I used to win tons on blog contests when I was entering them regularly, so I personally think the % of “rigged” blog contests is probably small, but I can only go by my own experiences. And if I have an odd feeling at all about any contest, blogger or not, I don’t enter.
Jan 28, 2018
76 posts
48 upvotes
Slightly curious, are there bots in this sub forum? I see the same person(s) stating that they've entered a contest in almost every possible contest thread, including threads where the contest hasn't started yet or ones that are for specific (different) cities only. I guess the other possibility is they don't bother reading the title or post details and just immediately respond and then click on the link? Seems a little odd.