[Other] Contest Discussion(s)

Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2009
3440 posts
20254 upvotes
North York
MrManager wrote:
Feb 1st, 2018 2:37 pm
Slightly curious, are there bots in this sub forum? I see the same person(s) stating that they've entered a contest in almost every possible contest thread, including threads where the contest hasn't started yet or ones that are for specific (different) cities only. I guess the other possibility is they don't bother reading the title or post details and just immediately respond and then click on the link? Seems a little odd.
Yes I know who you are referring to

Not a bot. I guess he is just thanking everyone who posts a contest. Really unnecessary imo. A thumbs up will do.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
4063 posts
15952 upvotes
Halifax
MrManager wrote:
Feb 1st, 2018 2:37 pm
Slightly curious, are there bots in this sub forum? I see the same person(s) stating that they've entered a contest in almost every possible contest thread, including threads where the contest hasn't started yet or ones that are for specific (different) cities only. I guess the other possibility is they don't bother reading the title or post details and just immediately respond and then click on the link? Seems a little odd.
Some people do that to track the posts they already looked at. Others have different ways of tracking, it’s an individual thing.
Jan 28, 2018
23 posts
15 upvotes
Tracydeanne wrote:
Feb 1st, 2018 11:45 pm
Some people do that to track the posts they already looked at. Others have different ways of tracking, it’s an individual thing.
I'm very new to participating in contests so have no familiarity with any kind of logistical methods used by the more experienced, but why would someone need to track contests they're not eligible to participate in? For example, if there's a contest open to BC residents only and then a contest open to Nova Scotia residents only, why would someone enter(track) both?
Jan 30, 2016
265 posts
630 upvotes
Halifax, NS
MrManager wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2018 6:38 am
I'm very new to participating in contests so have no familiarity with any kind of logistical methods used by the more experienced, but why would someone need to track contests they're not eligible to participate in? For example, if there's a contest open to BC residents only and then a contest open to Nova Scotia residents only, why would someone enter(track) both?
Especially now that you can hide threads. I hide ones I can’t/don’t want to enter.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
4063 posts
15952 upvotes
Halifax
MrManager wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2018 6:38 am
My guess is they’re just commenting to track that they read the post, not that they actually entered both contests. Some write thanks, I do lcm method, some just click the thumbs up, some people use a spreadsheet, some hide threads. A lot of what you see written here is people tracking the posts they read.

People do what works for them. To each their own. ;)
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
15282 posts
19484 upvotes
ONTARIO
Rosibal wrote:
Feb 1st, 2018 9:57 pm
Yes I know who you are referring to

Not a bot. I guess he is just thanking everyone who posts a contest. Really unnecessary imo. A thumbs up will do.
I have to agree. A few people do it to literally every single thread. Luckily you can sort by thread date though so you shouldn't miss contests that get pushed off the first page by people who do this.

I use a combination of thumbs up and hiding threads. For contests I've entered, I give it a thumbs up. For contests I am not eligible for at all or just have no interest in, I hide it completely.
Works the best for me. If I ever need to verify I entered something, I can open the thread and check if the thumbs up is blue or not.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2009
1691 posts
2928 upvotes
BobSagget wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2018 3:16 pm
I have to agree. A few people do it to literally every single thread. Luckily you can sort by thread date though so you shouldn't miss contests that get pushed off the first page by people who do this.

I use a combination of thumbs up and hiding threads. For contests I've entered, I give it a thumbs up. For contests I am not eligible for at all or just have no interest in, I hide it completely.
Works the best for me. If I ever need to verify I entered something, I can open the thread and check if the thumbs up is blue or not.
I do a mix of lcm and thumbs up. I use to just hide the threads but when you hide them and then try to search for a contest it won't show up in the tread if you hide it. So I stopped doing that as I would think I found a new contest to post but it ended up being a repost. Unless things have changed and your hid threads show up when searching
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
19933 posts
131680 upvotes
GTA
Remember those radio contests, etc. back in the day where people would have to touch a car continuously, and the last one left wins the car?

Only for US, but Mercedes has come up with a virtual version of that for Superbowl Sunday (and the car actually moves, so you don't just hold your hand on one spot on the screen):

https://lastfanstanding.mbusa.com/
Nov 25, 2017
3 posts
7 upvotes
Customer Satisfaction Surveys
Just curious how many sweepers indulge in these surveys. Do you guys keep your receipts from Home Depot Best Buy etc. How often do you do these? Have you had any good luck. I do them scarcely but never win anything.
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
14914 posts
3469 upvotes
sweepstakesguy84 wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2018 8:14 pm
Customer Satisfaction Surveys
Just curious how many sweepers indulge in these surveys. Do you guys keep your receipts from Home Depot Best Buy etc. How often do you do these? Have you had any good luck. I do them scarcely but never win anything.
I enter them occasionally. I always keep the receipts from WalMart, SDM, etc. Have never won in going on 8 years. I have heard of one person in town here in Thunder Bay winning $1,000 from Staples a couple years back but nothing since...
Apr 3, 2010
377 posts
257 upvotes
toguy wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2018 6:12 pm
Remember those radio contests, etc. back in the day where people would have to touch a car continuously, and the last one left wins the car?

Only for US, but Mercedes has come up with a virtual version of that for Superbowl Sunday (and the car actually moves, so you don't just hold your hand on one spot on the screen):

https://lastfanstanding.mbusa.com/
Yet one more reason why I'm glad I don't own a smart phone.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
4063 posts
15952 upvotes
Halifax
Who else is going to try to do the CTV Super Bowl contest tomorrow? I say try because it was a mess last year.
Apr 3, 2010
377 posts
257 upvotes
Tracydeanne wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2018 8:55 am
Who else is going to try to do the CTV Super Bowl contest tomorrow? I say try because it was a mess last year.
Me, and probably about 10 million other people.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
4063 posts
15952 upvotes
Halifax
Ranting... some of the stories people tell trying to win a fb contest. :facepalm: I’d love to know how many of them are just full on bs.
Feb 11, 2015
824 posts
11848 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The Super Bowl contest for tomorrow is a definite go. No US commercials just for the Super Bowl because I gotta try my luck on ctv lol. Anyways, contesting should be fun. I don't think there's any harm and foul in stories people do, as more of the contests, it's unsure if they're judged or not. I never do essays on contest, and if people put in the extra work, I guess they hope their optimism is rewarded. I try not to give my best moments away to the computer, but have been guilty of waking up and starting my day right from it..

Super Bowl tomorrow is going to be fun Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)