Contests

[Other] Contest Discussion(s)

Jan 16, 2012
490 posts
4639 upvotes
Ontario
Tracydeanne wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2018 10:34 am
Ranting... some of the stories people tell trying to win a fb contest. :facepalm: I’d love to know how many of them are just full on bs.
Ha! That's my PP too. I swear some people just cut/paste and repeat the same "my life is so hard and unfair, so I deserve to win this" story.
2018 2 wins/$7,100 2017 8 wins/$9,088 2016 - 16 win/$8,960 2015 - 20 wins/$6,333 2014 - 19 wins/$1,187 2013 - 22 wins/$1,664, 2012 - 21 wins/$10,259, 2011 - 1 win/$5,000
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2009
1760 posts
2983 upvotes
Tracydeanne wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2018 8:55 am
Who else is going to try to do the CTV Super Bowl contest tomorrow? I say try because it was a mess last year.
I promised my husband I would watch the game with him even though I am not a big fan of the game so I might as well enter the contest. Mind you I tried last year and half the time my texts did not go thru. So we will see if they have improved the system this year.
Aug 4, 2008
979 posts
2798 upvotes
Ontario
Tracydeanne wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2018 8:55 am
Who else is going to try to do the CTV Super Bowl contest tomorrow? I say try because it was a mess last year.
nope it was too much of a mess last year and most times a cell phone won't work here so watching on a US station to catch the commercials as well
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
4081 posts
15958 upvotes
Halifax
ActonSue wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2018 11:55 am
Ha! That's my PP too. I swear some people just cut/paste and repeat the same "my life is so hard and unfair, so I deserve to win this" story.
Pretty much, the same people same story every contest.

We all have struggles in our lives, but I’m not posting a sob story (or pretend sob story) to try and win a $25 pizza gift certificate or something. If it means I don’t win, so be it.
Nov 24, 2004
73 posts
512 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
BobSagget wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2018 3:16 pm
I have to agree. A few people do it to literally every single thread. Luckily you can sort by thread date though so you shouldn't miss contests that get pushed off the first page by people who do this.

I use a combination of thumbs up and hiding threads. For contests I've entered, I give it a thumbs up. For contests I am not eligible for at all or just have no interest in, I hide it completely.
Works the best for me. If I ever need to verify I entered something, I can open the thread and check if the thumbs up is blue or not.
I didn't know we had the option to hide posts, where do i see this option? It might be obvious but i can't seem to find it...
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
15460 posts
19864 upvotes
ONTARIO
hannasmom wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2018 5:35 pm
I didn't know we had the option to hide posts, where do i see this option? It might be obvious but i can't seem to find it...
It's in your account settings.

Hover over your username in the top right -> Click on settings -> On left side under Account and prefernces click on 'Hidden threads'
From this page you can enable the option. Then you will see a hide button appear on the right side of all threads.

Here's a direct link:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php? ... hidetopics

You can also use this page to unhide threads you accidentally hid or ones you no longer want to hide.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
15460 posts
19864 upvotes
ONTARIO
Also another way to possibly track.

Hover over your name in the top right corner and click on Thread history
user/viewing-history/

It shows you your viewing history and you could potentially use it to see your last contest entered by the last contest page you viewed.

I think this is new because I don't remember seeing it previously (I could be wrong).
Nov 24, 2004
73 posts
512 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
BobSagget wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2018 5:40 pm
It's in your account settings.

Hover over your username in the top right -> Click on settings -> On left side under Account and prefernces click on 'Hidden threads'
From this page you can enable the option. Then you will see a hide button appear on the right side of all threads.

Here's a direct link:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php? ... hidetopics

You can also use this page to unhide threads you accidentally hid or ones you no longer want to hide.
Thank you! This gave me the opportunity to play around with some other settings too and add an avatar...there are some helpful settings for sure :)
Penalty Box
Feb 11, 2015
975 posts
13040 upvotes
Toronto, ON
skeetersden wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2018 4:14 pm
nope it was too much of a mess last year and most times a cell phone won't work here so watching on a US station to catch the commercials as well
Just caught a bit of the news tonight, and they said that this is the first year that the commercials will be broadcast via the Canadian broadcasters. Caught the message at the end and didn't google to confirm, but now there is no real reason not to try this contest when there's an email option as well.

Good luck all.
Oct 20, 2016
79 posts
29 upvotes
stinastr wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2018 6:30 pm
Just caught a bit of the news tonight, and they said that this is the first year that the commercials will be broadcast via the Canadian broadcasters. Caught the message at the end and didn't google to confirm, but now there is no real reason not to try this contest when there's an email option as well.

Good luck all.
No, this is the second year that Canadian broadcasters can't overlay their ads on the American channel during the game.
Jan 28, 2018
72 posts
41 upvotes
Tracydeanne wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2018 10:34 am
Ranting... some of the stories people tell trying to win a fb contest. :facepalm: I’d love to know how many of them are just full on bs.
I've been noticing those too. Incredibly bizarre behaviour.

In other news, I'm not $150 000 richer today.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2009
1760 posts
2983 upvotes
MrManager wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 10:27 am

In other news, I'm not $150 000 richer today.
Me neither. But once again glitches with the contest. Bouncing back of emails not going thru. Not sure if there were problems with the texting method. Annoyed that there were no replies that your entry went thru. So who knows if you successfully entered or not.
Jan 28, 2018
72 posts
41 upvotes
gofforever wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 11:11 am
Me neither. But once again glitches with the contest. Bouncing back of emails not going thru. Not sure if there were problems with the texting method. Annoyed that there were no replies that your entry went thru. So who knows if you successfully entered or not.
Of the four texts I sent, only one (the trip to next superbowl) got bounced back. Who knows if they actually got entered or not though.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
4081 posts
15958 upvotes
Halifax
Yes, they removed the reply, most likely b/c the reply (or not) would made it clear their contest was messed up.

None of my texts bounced, but who knows if they were in, I have no faith in this contest.
Oct 20, 2016
79 posts
29 upvotes
EDIT: Apparently they have fixed it but I am getting a "404 Page not found" error now.

Posting this here for visibility from this contest: 2018-03-31-dr-oetker-find-giuseppe-cont ... #p28897566

The ballots for the Dodge Grand Caravan prize went up by over 20,000,000 entries overnight Saturday morning, it's been close to the number of entries for the $10,000 cash prize since the contest started October 1. I contacted the contest for an explanation and got this:
Thank you very much for your email and interest in the Find Giuseppe Contest, I am happy to answer your questions!

The cash prize winner was drawn for on January 31st and the winner has responded since and the cash prize option has been removed. Therefore the option to allocate your ballots to the cash prize is no longer available hence why the number of ballots allocated to the Dodge Grand Caravan has increased.

I encourage you to continue to play the Find Giuseppe Game as there are still many great prizes to be won. Such as the grand prize of a Dodge Grand Caravan, Xbox Consoles, Roku Streaming Media Players and Pizza for a Year.
If they mean more people are allocating to the Van now that the Cash prize is over, it still doesn't explain why more entries were entered in 1 day than the entirety of the contest since October 1.