Contests

[Other] Contest Discussion(s)

Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2009
1691 posts
2928 upvotes
If a company doesn't want 2 people using the same computer then they should state one entry per IP address only or 1 entry per household. Not everyone can afford to buy more than 1 computer. If the rules state 1 entry per person than they shouldn't disqualify a household for using the same computer.
But companies will do what they want. I got banned from a website because I pointed out that they were not following their own rules.
Feb 11, 2015
823 posts
11846 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I think the point in all this is that we're on a fine line. Bias and assumption rule, and even though regulation may seem like the only option, it doesn't work when there are so many variables that seemingly it would seem it only runs when we close our eyes. The contest sponsor assumes that "contesters" are a waste of time to the point of their marketing, and will probably disqualify if they think that way. But how can they deal with programming issues. We've seen a recent contest spike. I think it lies in where the real problem is. The world is a magnet of innuendos and riddles that make sense to those that would be open to it. I think we're all playing contests to win the big prize. I don't think there's any proof contesters are worst than anyone else signing up. If it was up to me, I'd just enter myself in the ones I wanted to win, and would see it work out. I try to play within the range, but some maybe's turn into no's and that's just life.

I say, if it makes you happy..

Get warmer winter!!
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
4063 posts
15952 upvotes
Halifax
Yep, sponsors are going to do what they do, we have no control there.
Mar 7, 2009
200 posts
1013 upvotes
Bowmanville
te3iz wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 3:36 pm
Has anyone run into trouble, or got disqualified, for entering 2 or more people into a contest from one IP? That’s what I usually do, just enter myself and my girlfriend on the same computer. I wonder if I’ve been getting secretly disqualified for that?.. Thinking Face
Tracydeanne wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 4:33 pm
If I was a sponsor, I’d look closely at IP’s. And some contests say one per household.

I think it’s doubtful you’d ever know though if you got dq’d for that, they’d just eliminate you without saying and move on.
Tracydeanne wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 6:46 pm
I suppose if it was a library computer or something. I know no one else in my family is interested in spending time entering, and I don’t double up and use extra accounts of my friends and family. Sponsors know this happens, and I suspect more than we think are looking.
gofforever wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 7:35 pm
If a company doesn't want 2 people using the same computer then they should state one entry per IP address only or 1 entry per household. Not everyone can afford to buy more than 1 computer. If the rules state 1 entry per person than they shouldn't disqualify a household for using the same computer.
But companies will do what they want. I got banned from a website because I pointed out that they were not following their own rules.
I agree with gofforever. If a contest states in the rules 1 entry per person (and/or per day), then it should NOT matter if the entries are coming from the same IP address.

I enter contests under my own e-mail. I do not create multiple e-mails for the sake of contesting. I will however, depending on the contest, enter my daughter under her own e-mail address AND my husband under his own e-mail address as well. I do not see anything wrong with this. My husband works long hours and doesn't have the time to do the contesting and will ask me to enter him in certain contests. When my son was younger and still learning to read, I would occasionally enter him in kids contests I knew he'd like.

As for our adult daughter, I do not ever see myself stopping entering her into contests for her. She has has disabilities that include reading & writing at grade school level. She always asks me to enter her in contests. What will take me no more than a minute to enter her will take her a good 10 minutes to struggle through trying to read that ONE contest page.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
4063 posts
15952 upvotes
Halifax
I’m stepping out of where this conversation is going, prob best. The War between people who enter contests themselves vs those who enter under 5 peoples names will never be resolved. ;)

In any case, it’s up to the sponsor to manage, no matter what we think is right or wrong.
Mar 7, 2009
200 posts
1013 upvotes
Bowmanville
LOL - true enough.

IMO there's a huge difference from me occasionally entering my husband & daughter under their own names & e-mails when we all live in the same household, versus the contester who also enters their parents; siblings; friends; aunts & uncles; cousins; etc.

It's interesting looking back. Over the past 6 years my son won once (12 boxes of froot loops) and husband zero (entered occasionally). My daughter (who I enter frequently for her) has won zero times as well. I always enter myself first. Makes me wonder if sponsors do delete other entries from the same IP address, even if their rules say 1 entry per person. Then again, their names are not entered as frequently as mine. Hmm..
Sep 11, 2017
51 posts
162 upvotes
I always thought I was lucky in contests until I started contesting! I think before they were smaller, local contests that I could sort of weight the chances of winning and now they're these huge ones. Putting more effort in for less wins :( but I'm going to hang in there. I keep telling myself "one trip, one trip then I'll stop..." Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Mar 7, 2009
200 posts
1013 upvotes
Bowmanville
Rosibal wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 2:40 pm
What do you think of this contest guys? https://www.pineconeresearch.com/sweepstakes.asp
There is so much legal stuff that I am really confused - I also do not see where we can sign up
I believe you have to be a member for this contest.

Pinecone Research is a survey site I belong to. You can only join by being invited to it through them or a few times a year Pinecone opens registration for people to become new members. Members are not able to give referral links to anyone.

While I have not won a contest of theirs, I do get $3 for each survey I complete. (Was $5 a survey once upon a time). Sometimes product will arrive on my doorstep for me to test/try and complete an additional survey.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
4063 posts
15952 upvotes
Halifax
te3iz wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 4:35 pm
It’s a huge envelope, too, for such a tiny game piece. Total overkill.
They’re really cutting it close for sending out my NPE. FedEx says mine is due to be delivered today, and the last day you can enter a winning piece is Thursday. I sent my request early, no need to fedex last moment, really.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
4063 posts
15952 upvotes
Halifax
And..with all the FedEx drama, my lululemon card wasn’t a winner. Boo. :rolleyes:
Feb 11, 2015
823 posts
11846 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I think everything should be in the rules if it's to be foolproof. That being said, I used to enter dailies for everyone, and now I usually just tell them to enter the one time. There are instant wins when I'm up late and I'll tell them I'll enter them for a better chance. I'm the only one doing dailies now for knowing in my time of doing them, or just not getting lucky, that it's a waste of time. Some of them do give stuff, but if you're wasting so much time trying, and you're getting smaller rewards, you're not that happy. I hope to see some changes soon, but that being said, and not winning anything from canada.com, I'm unsure if because of entering they just banned me and not told me about it. That SHOULD be in the rules. DQ for time spent is one thing. Imagine someone entering daily in the contests, every day, and the sponsor is looking for someone he's sure is not a contestant and dq's. I'm sure THIS would not happen often, but I'm sure the real sponsors give the prizes, and somehow it's lost in this whole marketing gimmick.

The jist is, enter yourself, you're hiding you're a contestant but entering everyday may give you away?? If you enter, or more people enter from your ip, are we really being treated fairly?

Lotsa questions, I feel stupid for bringing it up, but I just feel they're contests and I don't like thinking that some enforcer behind a desk that works and is told what to do is taking the "rules" to their own liking and changing it.

Anyways, that's probably why I did the dailies. Won some fun things, but I was always chosen for the big prizes, and Ia always entered myself first. For all those thinking these contest "cheaters" really prosper. Don't miss Christmas time and do what works. If it doesn't, or you feel you're wasting too much time, change it.

Good luck all. Taking the day off, and don't know why I feel like posting about this again. Sorry for all those that don't like hearing about it. Good luck.

Just going to add, what are we really fighting, banning is like excommunication, do they ban us from the beaurocratic process of voluntary white forms.
Last edited by stinastr on Feb 13th, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Apr 12, 2010
144 posts
87 upvotes
Tracydeanne wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 12:07 pm
And..with all the FedEx drama, my lululemon card wasn’t a winner. Boo. :rolleyes:
Yep, same here. Except that for me, it was 10 cards Face With Look Of Triumph
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
4063 posts
15952 upvotes
Halifax
te3iz wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 1:18 pm
Yep, same here. Except that for me, it was 10 cards Face With Look Of Triumph
Ack! Oh well, nothing ventured nothing gained. ;)
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2009
1691 posts
2928 upvotes
I have been searching for the Uncle Ben contest marked products for a while now. Finally found them at Loblaws but they wanted just over $11 for the 5pk box. Way more than I wanted to spend for a contest. So I sent away for a npn.

This week the product was on sale from $11 to just under $5. Still a lot of money to spend for a contest. I have been waiting to get my npn coupon but still nothing in the mail. So I waited till last night which would have been the last day of the sale to see if my coupon would arrive but nothing so I decided to just go buy a pack. Of course I got there and the sale price tag was gone and I wondered if it had been a 1 day sale. All that was priced on the shelves was the single packs at $2.94. I decided to grab a box which also had a $1 coupon on them and go price it out. Imagine my surprise when the 5pk box that was originally priced at over $11 came up at the same price as the single packs of $2.94 plus the $1 coupon off them. Needless to say I grabbed 8 boxes. I probably looked crazy buying all those boxes but even if I don't win I got a great deal on the product. I honestly think someone goofed when pricing them but who am I to complain.

Now just waiting for the npn coupons to arrive.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

sherlockmandango