Contests

[Other] Contest Discussion(s)

Aug 4, 2008
971 posts
2778 upvotes
Ontario
Hotdiggety wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2018 4:40 pm
Okay, so there's one objection here. For most other people, I can't imagine that being inundated with spam is the most efficient way of looking for new info on a contest.
inundated with spam, shake your head the odd thanks is the only "spam" I get. An read more than just your own posts there are lots of people who like it just the way it is
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
8989 posts
13793 upvotes
What if we have an experiment with one thread?
Jan 16, 2012
475 posts
4371 upvotes
Ontario
I'm not in favour of changing it. (I'm a Nay)
2018 2 wins/$7,100 2017 8 wins/$9,088 2016 - 16 win/$8,960 2015 - 20 wins/$6,333 2014 - 19 wins/$1,187 2013 - 22 wins/$1,664, 2012 - 21 wins/$10,259, 2011 - 1 win/$5,000
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8949 posts
13333 upvotes
Scarborough
ishfish wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2018 7:06 pm
What if we have an experiment with one thread?
Unfortunately it's a forum setting so it has to apply to all threads within a forum or none of them.

I usually browse this forum once a day and I personally feel like it would be a benefit to turn on so I'd like to hear more from the "no" voters on what specifically they dislike or what your major concerns are?
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2006
4667 posts
6124 upvotes
Toronto
Can you explain how it works? My assumption is someone creates a NEW post and y'all get your emails (lucky you, I wish I got new posts as emails, but for whatever reason, they mostly don't show up), and then someone (the op?) updates the summary post with that information. So not only do you (who are so lucky as to) get your emails, but that summary is updated (so I'm lucky enough to get the information also without a crapton of effort searching the thread for it).

Is that right?
Sep 11, 2017
45 posts
145 upvotes
I guess it's whether you're looking for community and tips/contests/codes or using the site purely as a resource to contesting.

I, personally, though relatively inactive and new, don't mind scrolling...
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
4059 posts
15944 upvotes
Halifax
The suggested format just looks like a very busy page to me, whereas the current format is simple and clean. And honestly, we don’t have a huge amount of threads with codes.

I don’t subscribe to any posts, I just bookmark and check the thread as I do my dailies, if there is a daily code contest. But I’m here every day pretty much, so if you aren’t, perhaps subscribing is more important to you.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
4059 posts
15944 upvotes
Halifax
spamgirl wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2018 12:38 pm
Can you explain how it works? My assumption is someone creates a NEW post and y'all get your emails (lucky you, I wish I got new posts as emails, but for whatever reason, they mostly don't show up), and then someone (the op?) updates the summary post with that information. So not only do you (who are so lucky as to) get your emails, but that summary is updated (so I'm lucky enough to get the information also without a crapton of effort searching the thread for it).

Is that right?
I think you only get emails if you actually subscribe to a thread. So no, the forum isn’t going to notify you of new Contest posts. If that’s what you mean?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2016
5387 posts
5431 upvotes
GTA, ON
For me finding codes is easy on the forums. I know which ones I used based on giving the post a "thumbs up". You don't really need to scroll much. I usually just start at the last post and work backwards.

I don't see this feature being of any use. And how would I know which codes I used? Can I "mark" them somehow?
Jan 30, 2016
261 posts
629 upvotes
Halifax, NS
Tracydeanne wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2018 8:34 pm
The suggested format just looks like a very busy page to me, whereas the current format is simple and clean. And honestly, we don’t have a huge amount of threads with codes.

I don’t subscribe to any posts, I just bookmark and check the thread as I do my dailies, if there is a daily code contest. But I’m here every day pretty much, so if you aren’t, perhaps subscribing is more important to you.
I do the exact same thing to get codes. And I also found the example very busy.

And who’s responsible for filling out the summary? If it’s the OP, it will discourage people from posting. I have posted contests I can’t even enter before; I have no reason to go back to them, so if I had to check daily to do the summary, it’s way more work. I just wouldn’t post those ones at all, honestly.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
4059 posts
15944 upvotes
Halifax
I “think” the suggestion is that the “Summary” is where everyone would post codes, instead of commenting in the thread? It looks like multiple users update it.

I wouldn’t be planning to be responsible for going back and updating daily codes into a Summary, after I post a contest either.

It seems most are a no on a change anyway.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2006
4667 posts
6124 upvotes
Toronto
Tracydeanne wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2018 8:40 pm
I think you only get emails if you actually subscribe to a thread. So no, the forum isn’t going to notify you of new Contest posts. If that’s what you mean?
I subscribed to the Mac's thread, and chose "instantly by email". I have yet to receive a single email, but my email address works just fine. This is why a summary would be nice, since I *never* get the emails.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
4059 posts
15944 upvotes
Halifax
Hm, that must be a glitch then, I can’t say because I don’t subscribe. I’ll have to try it sometime.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)