Contests

[Other] Contest Discussion(s)

Jun 6, 2012
194 posts
3045 upvotes
Saskatchewan
I'm wondering if any of you enter contests where you don't actually want the Grand Prize, but prefer the runner-up prize. I just posted a contest for a trip to Switzerland. I don't really want to win the trip because the flights are from cities far from me, but I would LOVE to win the runner up prize of a bike.

Curious if others run across this and what they do.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1756 posts
1158 upvotes
Toronto
KaDubb wrote:
May 24th, 2018 1:34 pm
I'm wondering if any of you enter contests where you don't actually want the Grand Prize, but prefer the runner-up prize. I just posted a contest for a trip to Switzerland. I don't really want to win the trip because the flights are from cities far from me, but I would LOVE to win the runner up prize of a bike.

All the time, because I have no desire to travel. I enter trip contests all the time, when I like the secondary/tertiary prizes.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2016
5682 posts
5581 upvotes
GTA, ON
KaDubb wrote:

I do too.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
15206 posts
3634 upvotes
KaDubb wrote:

Last time I had that happen was in the 1980s. I wanted a camera and projector outfit which was the 2nd place prize. Instead I won the grand prize, a 17 day all expenses paid trip to Kenya Africa! Needless to say, I took that trip...
Last edited by DougO on May 24th, 2018 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 6, 2012
194 posts
3045 upvotes
Saskatchewan
DougO wrote:
May 24th, 2018 11:29 pm
Last time I had that happen was in the 1980s. I wanted a camera and projector outfit which was the 2nd place prize. Instead I won the grand prize, a 17 all expenses paid trip to Kenya Africa! Needless to say, I took that trip...
Ha Ha - that's great. I usually enter to win the grand prize and win the second prize, so I wondered if the opposite sometimes happened. Nice that happened to you.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
15206 posts
3634 upvotes
That should say 17 day trip. Yeah, it was great. i also won a trip to Florida but opted to take $3,000 cash instead. That also was a good thing as I really needed the cash at the time. Too bad so many contests don't give you that option anymore or don't allow you to add more people if your family is more than the number allotted in a trip prize. I know what it's like being the one who gets left behind...
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1756 posts
1158 upvotes
Toronto
This is probably a stupid question, but does anyone ever wonder if companies choose a winner from a platform that is easy to generate a random winner from? For instance, if a sponsor is holding a contest simultaneously on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, would they perhaps go to the Twitter platform for their winner if picking a random one from those posters is easier?
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2013
13833 posts
3754 upvotes
Toronto
pickmepickme wrote:
May 28th, 2018 10:08 am
This is probably a stupid question, but does anyone ever wonder if companies choose a winner from a platform that is easy to generate a random winner from? For instance, if a sponsor is holding a contest simultaneously on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, would they perhaps go to the Twitter platform for their winner if picking a random one from those posters is easier?
I have a theory that when contest sponsors have multiple social media methods of entry, they first choose randomly between the social media channels (For example, they'd pick either FB, IG or Twitter randomly) and then a winner is randomly selected from all legitimate entries on that channel. For that reason, I TRY to enter via the channel that is likely to have the fewest entries.
Wishing everyone a lucky 2018!
Penalty Box
Feb 11, 2015
979 posts
13045 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Well, never forget to live a little. Going to take a break from contesting for a while. Will still probably play some, but it's been happening already so...

Good luck all.

And who was so uncourteous that decided to remove all my posts without a message. I don't want an apology, life doesn't need them to keep going...usually
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2013
13833 posts
3754 upvotes
Toronto
stinastr wrote:
May 28th, 2018 6:17 pm
Well, never forget to live a little. Going to take a break from contesting for a while. Will still probably play some, but it's been happening already so...

Good luck all.

And who was so uncourteous that decided to remove all my posts without a message. I don't want an apology, life doesn't need them to keep going...usually
Are you OK?
Penalty Box
Feb 11, 2015
979 posts
13045 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sherlockmandango wrote:
May 28th, 2018 7:30 pm
Are you OK?
Hey Fandango...everyone is ok. Can we get bored from contesting? Do we say what we feel...at least sometimes...questions are hard to answer

And don't mean anything mean by fandango anyways. Life is waiting...we all seem to be spinning and not blinking. Mean it generally even if your name always seemed for me to stem from the title grim fandango. Have a good one. Don't forget to share your wins all so you can keep this life boat from sinking. Talking to everyone again. Enjoy yourselves. Summer is always a hot time to be going out and winning from the radio towers. We listen, but go on hold. If my thoughts ain't clear to you, I always write with giving people a choice. Choice is not something you take away. I like to instigate thought. Rarely do I get to sigh out loud.

Thank redflagdeals for everything. Will be back prob in the summer. Been playing radios and one time, and not enough to show for it.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2013
13833 posts
3754 upvotes
Toronto
stinastr wrote:
May 29th, 2018 8:20 am
Hey Fandango...everyone is ok. Can we get bored from contesting? Do we say what we feel...at least sometimes...questions are hard to answer

And don't mean anything mean by fandango anyways. Life is waiting...we all seem to be spinning and not blinking. Mean it generally even if your name always seemed for me to stem from the title grim fandango. Have a good one. Don't forget to share your wins all so you can keep this life boat from sinking. Talking to everyone again. Enjoy yourselves. Summer is always a hot time to be going out and winning from the radio towers. We listen, but go on hold. If my thoughts ain't clear to you, I always write with giving people a choice. Choice is not something you take away. I like to instigate thought. Rarely do I get to sigh out loud.

Thank redflagdeals for everything. Will be back prob in the summer. Been playing radios and one time, and not enough to show for it.
"Grim Fandango" IS a really good game. Keep it easy.
Aug 27, 2012
6 posts
10 upvotes
Hamilton
Hello, Is anyone familiar with Fair Share Marketing or know which contest(s) they may be affiliated with? I just had a missed call, however no voicemail was left.
Jan 28, 2018
73 posts
42 upvotes
How long did it take people to win their first contest?
Looks like my real-life luck (or lack of) with never winning anything is carrying over to here.
I've been diligently entering as much as I can since December and nothing yet. I can't even manage to win the Bud cooler or $10 amazon GC that everyone else is getting.