[Other] Contest Discussion(s)

Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3776 posts
5017 upvotes
Ontario
stinastr wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 4:05 pm
Hey all, don't feel like entering recently but still entering on occasion. Just wanted to give a heads up that the taste of the danforth always has contests, and it will be on in august, I don't think any contests have been posted, but just a heads up.

http://tasteofthedanforth.com
When I clicked on the contests link, I saw four trip contests. Seem to be all with Sunwing.
Summer 2018-retro candy and treats time
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2010
21733 posts
3044 upvotes
North Vancouver
Why would someone down-vote a contest? Can I challenge them to a duel?
Penalty Box
Feb 11, 2015
979 posts
13056 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Ciel wrote:
Jul 19th, 2018 1:03 pm
When I clicked on the contests link, I saw four trip contests. Seem to be all with Sunwing.
Is it the same code word for every contest?
Jan 30, 2016
300 posts
656 upvotes
Halifax, NS
gbamber wrote:
Jul 19th, 2018 6:25 pm
Why would someone down-vote a contest? Can I challenge them to a duel?
Yes.
Jan 30, 2016
300 posts
656 upvotes
Halifax, NS
gofforever wrote:
Jul 19th, 2018 7:25 am
Hopefully yours will come this week. Ours was from a May 29th win.
It came!! It smells very strongly of chemicals... anyone else’s smell?
Penalty Box
Feb 11, 2015
979 posts
13056 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Seems to be connected to an app. From what I skimmed, seem to be more prizes available. Rogers Cup - bracket + more? challenge. Was looking around and saw this, so decided to share. The Rogers Cup hasn't started yet, so I doubt this contest has.

http://www.rogerscup.com/win-1000000-wi ... -bank-app/

Posted July 19th, so pretty sure it's good to go.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2009
1766 posts
2987 upvotes
ImagineCH wrote:
Jul 20th, 2018 6:39 am
It came!! It smells very strongly of chemicals... anyone else’s smell?
Glad you got yours. Ours smells also. Not bad. Only if I stick my face right up to it, but that may be due to the fact that they were recently made. Not sure but maybe that's it.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3776 posts
5017 upvotes
Ontario
I admit to not noticing the code word aspect of each contest. Just that there are four trips to be won.
Sorry!
Summer 2018-retro candy and treats time
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2009
3536 posts
20513 upvotes
North York
c
Ciel wrote:
Jul 20th, 2018 5:10 pm
I admit to not noticing the code word aspect of each contest. Just that there are four trips to be won.
Sorry!
And none of them have started yet.
Oct 10, 2006
796 posts
1184 upvotes
Outside Poker Flat
I'd like to propose a new forum to split the Contests forum into "Contests" and "Contests That Cost Money To Enter." The latest example of the latter would be the Lindt contest, where you can either make a purchase and upload a receipt by phone or online, or write a hand-written original essay and send by mail, costing the entrant a stamp. (Which is particularly dissuasive in cases where the cost of a stamp (or stamp plus SASE stamp) represents a large percentage of the purchase price.) There's no doubt Lindt wants to dissuade people who haven't made recent purchases from entering. These types of contests are specifically designed to eliminate poor people who have access to the internet, say, via libraries, but can't afford the cost of stamps for each contest entry.

My proposal isn't at all meant to call out all the contest sponsors that are breaking the law. In my opinion, contests that allow entrants to work as promoters by posting links, tagging friends etc. in exchange for additional entries are just as illegal. This forum would only be to separate the contests that are not in any way accessible to people who have no money not those that aren't for contestants who will not work for sponsors on message boards and on social media while being paid only in "chances" (essentially for free, most of the time, except for the top professionals.)

One counter-argument I can think of is that RFDers with no money might not become aware of Contests That Cost Money To Enter for products that they purchase anyway if they don't do their own shopping. Trying to think of others, so this is not completely one-sided.
Criminal Code, RSC 1985, c C-46 206. (1) (f) http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts ... ml#docCont

3. Administration of a Promotion https://www.facebook.com/policies/pages_groups_events/#

Boycott the abominable new Alpha-Bits!
Apr 3, 2010
401 posts
279 upvotes
Is anyone else having trouble entering Gleam contests? I was doing a couple of Canadian House and Home contests, and for the last 2 days, it's no longer accepting any entries from me.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
4081 posts
15958 upvotes
Halifax
So I’ve been away from contesting for a few months...wow is it hard to get back! Trying to figure out where I dropped off ;)
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
15472 posts
19882 upvotes
ONTARIO
Tracydeanne wrote:
Jul 25th, 2018 4:36 pm
So I’ve been away from contesting for a few months...wow is it hard to get back! Trying to figure out where I dropped off ;)
Once when I won a trip, I didn't enter contests for 8-9 days that I was away.
When I came back I had to go through multiple pages here just to catch up. That was only 8-9 days and took me sooo long. I don't envy you if you really are going to start where you left off! That would take me forever!

Good luck
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
4081 posts
15958 upvotes
Halifax
BobSagget wrote:
Jul 25th, 2018 6:18 pm
Once when I won a trip, I didn't enter contests for 8-9 days that I was away.
When I came back I had to go through multiple pages here just to catch up. That was only 8-9 days and took me sooo long. I don't envy you if you really are going to start where you left off! That would take me forever!

Good luck
I’ve not found it too bad so far, but I have yet to delve into my lists to try and figure out what’s expired ;)
Nov 24, 2009
432 posts
607 upvotes
is canadasweepstakes.ca a legit contest website? they give away a lot of gift cards but website looks a little fishy to me