Contest Discussion(s)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 2:13 pm
Tags:
Dec 19, 2005
338 posts
240 upvotes
Ottawa
caper2007 wrote: Foster the People concert right? Have a blast, and if you think about it, come back and post some amazing pics. Safe travels meagicano :)
Yes, that's exactly it! I'm bringing my mom. I got the tickets for the show today - and there are very few words in English on them! I will need to get someone at the hotel to help translate, LOL

I picked up a new camera over Christmas so I will be sure to share some photos :)
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2007
2447 posts
1615 upvotes
Ontario's West coast
:cheesygri
meagicano wrote: I won a trip to Tokyo through Elle Canada Magazine. I leave in 9 days!!

Have a nice trip meagicano! :cheesygri

Thanks to everyone else who answered my question. :cheesygri
Jun 15, 2006
191 posts
1215 upvotes
Horndogg wrote: Has anyone here at RFD ever won an Elle Canada or Canadian Living contest or are they a waste of time?
Have a great time Meagicano!!

I too just won a trip from Elle on Wednesday, the Calvin Klein New York city contest!! :)

So YES they are worth entering!
Sep 9, 2011
2 posts
17 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Horndogg wrote: Has anyone here at RFD ever won an Elle Canada or Canadian Living contest or are they a waste of time?

My sister won just won something off the Western Living 40th anniversary contest or something like that. Not sure what she won yet
My 2011 Wins (starting from July)- Free pair of eyeglasses - 200 and a Scrubbing bubbles $10 trinket
My 2012 Wins - Gshock watch - 150
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2011
2363 posts
6 upvotes
PETERBOROUGH
Hi there just wondering if anyone has won anything from RoyalDraw or FashionPrizes ive been entering these for awhile and i scroll through the winners discussion every now and then and have never heard anyone mention either of these two sites so was just curious if the are any winners out there from them
Deal Expert
Dec 22, 2006
44565 posts
44973 upvotes
Economy, NS
caraj444 wrote: Hi there just wondering if anyone has won anything from RoyalDraw or FashionPrizes ive been entering these for awhile and i scroll through the winners discussion every now and then and have never heard anyone mention either of these two sites so was just curious if the are any winners out there from them

I won a $250 online G/C for Triumph, from FashionPrizes last fall. It was emailed the same day as the draw.

I received my order within 2 weeks of placing it.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2009
5741 posts
1406 upvotes
valeriey wrote: I won a $250 online G/C for Triumph, from FashionPrizes last fall. It was emailed the same day as the draw.

Good to know as I was also wondering about the FashionPrizes. Nice to see someone has won from them.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2005
5712 posts
990 upvotes
GTA
noonefan wrote: Good to know as I was also wondering about the FashionPrizes. Nice to see someone has won from them.

Same here I was wondering about that one myself
Nov 6, 2011
284 posts
86 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
How do you all organize your contest listings to keep track? Do you only keep track of multiple entry ones or every single one? I am finding my very outdated Word document to keep track of multiple entry contests is just not organized enough and wondering how you all keep track?
Nov 8, 2009
197 posts
1380 upvotes
amandavp wrote: How do you all organize your contest listings to keep track? Do you only keep track of multiple entry ones or every single one? I am finding my very outdated Word document to keep track of multiple entry contests is just not organized enough and wondering how you all keep track?

I simply bookmark the daily entries and name them as their end date, and save them in a daily's/weekly/monthly bookmark folder. When I come back to RFD every day I pick up where I left off the day before, sort the page by date thread was started instead of last post, then you can just work your way down the page until you reach your last entered contest.

Here is a link to the contest page sorted by date posted:

contests-f34/?pp=30&daysprune=60&sort=d ... order=desc

hope this answers your question!
Nov 6, 2011
284 posts
86 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
This is very helpful. I've clearly been overthinking it :P
dave209april wrote: I simply bookmark the daily entries and name them as their end date, and save them in a daily's/weekly/monthly bookmark folder. When I come back to RFD every day I pick up where I left off the day before, sort the page by date thread was started instead of last post, then you can just work your way down the page until you reach your last entered contest.

Here is a link to the contest page sorted by date posted:

contests-f34/?pp=30&daysprune=60&sort=d ... order=desc

hope this answers your question!
Deal Expert
Jul 6, 2008
18727 posts
1669 upvotes
Scarborough Bluffs
The TICO contest.

I like how I received an email over the weekend with the leaderboard, however Id like to know what Im doing wrong. Ive been writing on the facebook wall 10 times everyday with my bull **** pointless words, but it says I only have 3 ballots. I'll admit that I havent entered with twitter or youtube, but doesnt it say that you get a ballot for each time you post on the wall?
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2011
2363 posts
6 upvotes
PETERBOROUGH
valeriey wrote: I won a $250 online G/C for Triumph, from FashionPrizes last fall. It was emailed the same day as the draw.

Thanks for the response, its always nice to know your not wasting your time on a site, i dont mind putting in the time entering as long as theres a real chance of winning something : )
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
8405 posts
4690 upvotes
alpen wrote: Every contest I enter goes on a spreadsheet. 6 columns:
Name;prize;end date;frequency;won;value. Spreadsheets work great because if you don't know if you entered you can sort by name or end date. You can also sort your wins and easily "sum" up that "value" column. Each month I transfer expired contests on a 2nd spreadsheet that holds a years worth.

For multiple entries I save as a roboform passcard which automatically sorts as numbers then alphabetized. I save as Name and end date.
24 hour ones I start with "24" so they are all together. Weekly I start the name with "zweekly" so they are all together after my dailies. If I don't care that much about a contest I simply add a z to the beginning of the name so that they are at the bottom of my dailies. I enter contest by the editor and "go fill" function of roboform. (free 2010 beta Mac version)

My monthlies I keep separate in a bookmarked folder.

I have a similar approach, I also use a spreadsheet.

Expiry Date - Next day to enter - Last Entered - Monthly/Daily/Weekly -Name - Prize - Notes - Link - RFD Thread Link

Next day I need to enter is (Last Entered + 1/7/30 depending on Monthly/D/W). Then I have a hidden column that compares Today() against Expiry Date as well as Next Day to Enter against expiry date and changes Next Day to Enter into 'Expired' if it is.

Then a filter macro button at the top that will hide all the rows with expired contests and sort by 'Next day to Enter'.
Mar 4, 2011
303 posts
762 upvotes
West Coast
I thought I was just making up conspiracy theories when I commented that I thought my email must have been hacked because I haven't had a winning email since December 8th. Apparently, it may not just be my email that's been hacked.

I had a few winnings that I had not recieved and started to fire off emails asking about them. Got this reply back today.

Hey Tracy!

Package was sent out by registered mail, and Canada Post confirmed it was delivered week December 12. Are you sure it was not received or misplaced?

Now, my registered mail is being stolen too! December was a blur, but I know I did not receive these dvds.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2006
1215 posts
661 upvotes
nevermind everything resolved :) removed by request
Dec 24, 2006
566 posts
330 upvotes
Victoria
bryceton wrote: hmm now heres something interesting....
on thursday morning I got notified by west 49 im a potentional winner. and they gave me a number to call back via voicemail...
tried about 5 times throughout thursday (once including 5 minutes after the first call) and each time went to voicemail and it was clearly the guy who called me...
tried again another 5 times throughtout the day during business hours on friday. and left a single message too..
saturday... again no pickup left a message stating what time ill be around and to call me back..
saturday.. also to be on the safe side I left a message on west 49 facebook page as they only allow 3 days to contact them...
Monday... they deleted my post...
and havent heard anything.
this really hurts my image of west 49. to be fair i did state in my voicemail i was pretty busy monday...
so hopefulyl I hear back tuesday otherwise ill be voicing my concerns to west 49 directly..

I just cant believe a big company could be this unprofessional.

I would go with the assumption they are really busy with post-Christmas stuff, but I don't know why they would delete your FB post? Probably all marketing/PR stuff and they will get back to you ASAP. I agree that would be pretty frustrating. Let us know the outcome.
Mar 4, 2010
23 posts
I have a question and I apologize in advance if it offends anyone because I am only asking this out pure curiosity. I was just wondering what a lot of devoted contesters do with all of their winnings? I was contesting non stop for about a year and a half and my laptop broke down and I stopped but I just got a new laptop finally! So I am back at it! Thanks to all your support! I love reading everyones contest wins and I noticed a lot of people win A LOT of stuff! I have also been fortunate to win what i would consider quite a bit of stuff and I have always kept my winnings or given them to my loved ones to use, recently I have heard of a lot of people selling their wins I don't know if this is true because I am the only one out of my family/friends who enters contests on a regular basis so I was hoping I could get some feedback from you guys! I have never wanted to sell my stuff because call my crazy but I think it would jinx me from winning but I am still curious about it!

Thanks!!
Ella
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1559 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto
Princess.Ella wrote: I have a question and I apologize in advance if it offends anyone because I am only asking this out pure curiosity. I was just wondering what a lot of devoted contesters do with all of their winnings? I was contesting non stop for about a year and a half and my laptop broke down and I stopped but I just got a new laptop finally! So I am back at it! Thanks to all your support! I love reading everyones contest wins and I noticed a lot of people win A LOT of stuff! I have also been fortunate to win what i would consider quite a bit of stuff and I have always kept my winnings or given them to my loved ones to use, recently I have heard of a lot of people selling their wins I don't know if this is true because I am the only one out of my family/friends who enters contests on a regular basis so I was hoping I could get some feedback from you guys! I have never wanted to sell my stuff because call my crazy but I think it would jinx me from winning but I am still curious about it!

Thanks!!
Ella
I give away anything under $100 that I don't need (often enter a contest for one prize, but win another), and sell prizes that are over $100, if they are not something that my family needs or can use. My kids' schools have been very grateful for all of the prizes that I've donated that they can use in raffles, or other purposes. I have also donated prizes to shelters and other charitable organizations.

If I have been jinxed by doing this, it's okay, because I still win about 100 prizes a year, which I think is more than a good score.

:D
Oct 1, 2008
72 posts
4 upvotes
The only thing I've won recently is an iPad 2, which I sold - but ONLY because I already had one and no-one in my immediate family wanted it. (Well, that's not quite true - my 14-year-old daughter wanted it, but she had just gotten a brand-new laptop, so we said "Uh, no.".) :razz: Plus, this was in November, so I figured I'd use the money for Christmas presents.