Contests

[Other] Contest Discussion(s)

Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2010
21318 posts
2233 upvotes
North Vancouver
I've seen PCH being as US only, except those that have come through snail mail.
Jan 7, 2009
81 posts
20 upvotes
When did most of the contests being won right now start? I'm assuming most close 1-2 months after being listed and then it takes a week or two for winners to be picked/notified?
1 month of heavy (2-3 hours a day) contesting in and nothing. My wins back in 2009 came within a few weeks of starting and I wasn't trying as hard then...
2009 (2) $132
2012 (3) $125
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
strider3700 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2012 12:41 pm
When did most of the contests being won right now start? I'm assuming most close 1-2 months after being listed and then it takes a week or two for winners to be picked/notified?
1 month of heavy (2-3 hours a day) contesting in and nothing. My wins back in 2009 came within a few weeks of starting and I wasn't trying as hard then...

I only started contesting a bit over a month ago and I've already won my first (of many, I hope!!!) contest (I guess what Vilmark says about Karma must be right :D ).

I don't recall when it ended (heck, when they called me, I'd forgotten that I'd even entered it :lol :) .
Iv ta'be' Hev SoH, ghobe' Qoy lIj mu'mey, as SoH jaH pa' vo' vetlh tuq joq vetlh veng, shake lItha' the dust vo' lIj qamDu' (translation from the original Klingon: And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet)
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
gbamber wrote:
Jan 17th, 2012 12:22 pm
I've seen PCH being as US only, except those that have come through snail mail.

Hm, interesting point. I just saw a PCH contest that was eligible to all US, UK and Canada residents, but only Brits and Americans can enter online, Canucks need to mail it in via snailmail > :(

Just wondering if:

1. I'm going to get buried under a mountain of spam snailmail (I remember I used to get a lot of those annoying snailmails from RD back in the day ....), and
2. If there's any interest from RFDers if I post any PCH contests I come across??
Iv ta'be' Hev SoH, ghobe' Qoy lIj mu'mey, as SoH jaH pa' vo' vetlh tuq joq vetlh veng, shake lItha' the dust vo' lIj qamDu' (translation from the original Klingon: And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet)
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2010
21318 posts
2233 upvotes
North Vancouver
Sure, post away... but especially if online entries allowed!
Jan 1, 2008
45 posts
24 upvotes
Maybe someone here may be able to help answer my contesting question. What would you think is an acceptable time to receive a prize you have won? And if a company decides not to send you a prize, are there any repercussions you can take? I hate to sound rude when inquiring about it, but after waiting months and dozens of emails, I'm running out of ideas.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
friendlycarl wrote:
Jan 17th, 2012 5:59 pm
Maybe someone here may be able to help answer my contesting question. What would you think is an acceptable time to receive a prize you have won? And if a company decides not to send you a prize, are there any repercussions you can take? I hate to sound rude when inquiring about it, but after waiting months and dozens of emails, I'm running out of ideas.
I don't think it's rude at all - you entered the contest in good faith, and you provided your end of the bargain which is providing the contest sponsor with oodles of personal information for their marketing folks.

Which company are you talking about, do you mind saying? If they're being difficult about it, it may not be one that we'd want to deal with again and would be a good warning to the rest of us, especially if it's a semi-legit blog site or something like that.

Having never won a contest until recently (I'm just going though the paperwork right now) I can't really say how long you expect, but I don't think a month is unreasonable, although from what you're describing it seems to be a lot more than that and the company doesn't seem to be dealing with you fairly either.
May 17, 2005
160 posts
1193 upvotes
ronin1701 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2012 2:00 am
So how do you deal with all the contests that you need to enter? If it's Once, Weekly or Monthly that's easy enough to handle. But I'm going nuts managing all the Daily entries.

I searched for every active Daily contest in this forum today (first time I've done that - good thing you can just sort them all by hitting the "Daily" link), and entered all the ones I was interested in (roughly 95% of the available Daily contests) and it probably took me close to two hours to enter them all!

Good thing I don't have a life, or else I wouldn't have enough time to go through them all :lol:

I use Roboform to organise and enter contests:

I created Daily, instant, weekly and monthly folders in Roboform
I then add new contests to the applicable folders adding the contest ending date to the contest name i.e 013012 - Hersheycanada to let me know that the Hershey contest ends on Jan 30, 12
I add the one time ones to my internet calender (the ending day) once I enter it so I don't disqualify myself by entering it more than one time.

How to create folders in Roboform: http://www.roboform.com/support/manual/roboform#folders
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
torooo wrote:
Jan 17th, 2012 10:00 pm
I use Roboform to organise and enter contests:

I created Daily, instant, weekly and monthly folders in Roboform
I then add new contests to the applicable folders adding the contest ending date to the contest name i.e 013012 - Hersheycanada to let me know that the Hershey contest ends on Jan 30, 12
I add the one time ones to my internet calender (the ending day) once I enter it so I don't disqualify myself by entering it more than one time.

How to create folders in Roboform: http://www.roboform.com/support/manual/roboform#folders

Cool, will give that a try, thanks!
Jan 1, 2008
45 posts
24 upvotes
ronin1701 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2012 7:33 pm
I don't think it's rude at all - you entered the contest in good faith, and you provided your end of the bargain which is providing the contest sponsor with oodles of personal information for their marketing folks.

Which company are you talking about, do you mind saying? If they're being difficult about it, it may not be one that we'd want to deal with again and would be a good warning to the rest of us, especially if it's a semi-legit blog site or something like that.

Having never won a contest until recently (I'm just going though the paperwork right now) I can't really say how long you expect, but I don't think a month is unreasonable, although from what you're describing it seems to be a lot more than that and the company doesn't seem to be dealing with you fairly either.

Thanks for the reply. I've been entering 20-25 contests a day for over a year and this particular prize was my biggest win last year, ARV: $250. It was a contest put on by a Canadian magazine, so the promotional company sponsoring it handles many, many contests. To date, I've sent dozens of emails to 5 different representatives and filled out 3 different release forms for this particular prize.

I finally received a prize last month (6 months after the end of the contest) but it was not as described in any of the release forms - I won an Ipod Touch with an accessory package but instead received a Chinese knock-off touch screen music player without any extras. They've been "working" on getting the right prize for the past month but I don't have much hope of ever seeing anything come of it.

So what would you do if you had won something and after 4-6 months still hadn't received it? And for those veteran contesters, have you folks ever had similar experiences with receiving prizes?
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2006
1550 posts
5025 upvotes
friendlycarl wrote:
Jan 19th, 2012 12:28 am
I won an Ipod Touch with an accessory package but instead received a Chinese knock-off touch screen music player without any extras.
Sounds like the pulled a "Wannawin" switch on you. :cry: Some rules state the company can has the right to replace the Prize for another one of the same value, and then list the actual value of the prize on the low scale.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
friendlycarl wrote:
So what would you do if you had won something and after 4-6 months still hadn't received it? And for those veteran contesters, have you folks ever had similar experiences with receiving prizes?
Sounds like it's time for some "naming and shaming". The contest administrators may not really care, but if the contest sponsor is at all reputable, they will. Why don't you try contacting one of those consumer advocate types in the newspaper like The Star or something similar?
flycastin wrote:
Jan 19th, 2012 1:47 am
Sounds like the pulled a "Wannawin" switch on you. :cry: Some rules state the company can has the right to replace the Prize for another one of the same value, and then list the actual value of the prize on the low scale.

People actually win stuff on Wannawin??? I'll pretty much enter any reasonable looking contest, but that's one of the few (Royal Draw is another) that I avoid entirely.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2006
1550 posts
5025 upvotes
ronin1701 wrote:
Jan 19th, 2012 8:53 am
Sounds like it's time for some "naming and shaming". The contest administrators may not really care, but if the contest sponsor is at all reputable, they will.
My bet would be on Readers Digests Ipod giveaway
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2007
4416 posts
1365 upvotes
friendlycarl wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I've been entering 20-25 contests a day for over a year and this particular prize was my biggest win last year, ARV: $250. It was a contest put on by a Canadian magazine, so the promotional company sponsoring it handles many, many contests. To date, I've sent dozens of emails to 5 different representatives and filled out 3 different release forms for this particular prize.

I finally received a prize last month (6 months after the end of the contest) but it was not as described in any of the release forms - I won an Ipod Touch with an accessory package but instead received a Chinese knock-off touch screen music player without any extras. They've been "working" on getting the right prize for the past month but I don't have much hope of ever seeing anything come of it.

Yes, and it does sound like they pulled a switch on you.

Does the company have a Facebook Acct? If so, find it and write your complaint in polite language on their wall. Use words like "entered in good faith" received a prize of lesser value, very disappointed, falsely advertised, not adequate customer response etc.

I am finding I get rapid action whenever I post stuff like that on a wall - companies hate it because everyone can see it. Usually they will message you with a phone number of someone willing to solve the problem immediately.

If the company has many facebook accounts, post on all of them. Good luck and let us know how you made out.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2006
1550 posts
5025 upvotes
friendlycarl wrote:
And for those veteran contesters, have you folks ever had similar experiences with receiving prizes?
Heres an old email from a prize I never recieved yet...even after a few emails to ALD and the sponsor. HOW IRONIC that I won this book, and apparently WASN"T SAFE in entering this :D After asking ALD once a week for a WHOLE YEAR if any resolution will come of this, ALD wiped their hands and gave me the email of the sponsor and asked me to take it up with them. :)

Subject: AnyLuckyDay Winner
To: ******
Received: Friday, October 15, 2010, 9:12 PM

Congrats, you won the Secure Living Online Be Safe Physically and Mentally with the Crandall System book. Please provide your full name and shipping address so we can get this out to you.
- - -
Giancarlo Massaro
Founder, AnyLuckyDay
http://anyluckyday.com
http://twitter.com/anyluckyday
http://facebook.com/anyluckydaycontests
massarogi@anyluckyday.com

Yep Ironic. I am now unsafe mentally from being a winner but then not being a winner.
× < >