[Other] Contest Discussion(s)

Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
14178 posts
106484 upvotes
Richmond Hill
The DZA wrote:
Oct 19th, 2012 9:42 am
Its like I said, you can have 11 entries a day, but if you noticed on the very first day the contest opened, the leader had over 50 entries, which is impossible. He has tailed off since, but there is no way that he could have had 50+ entries on the first day
How sure are you about that assertion? If it's true, then yes something fishing is going on.

I still don't see how it's voting though.

And it's no fishier than Slush Puppie or Braultet et Martineau always having French Canadian winners.
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
14178 posts
106484 upvotes
Richmond Hill
jnunavut wrote:
Oct 18th, 2012 10:00 pm
It really is not that big a deal to click the thank button or say thanks. It just kind of irks me when I see so many views on the links compared to the thanks given.
Well some people never use the thanks button, and they don't even lurk.
Oct 3, 2012
32 posts
341 upvotes
So I have a question, has anyone here ever won any of these "unlimited entry" contests? Is there any point in the average person entering them at all? Or even spending like 10 minutes a day on one you really want?
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
14178 posts
106484 upvotes
Richmond Hill
bluecanoe wrote:
Oct 19th, 2012 9:56 am
So I have a question, has anyone here ever won any of these "unlimited entry" contests? Is there any point in the average person entering them at all? Or even spending like 10 minutes a day on one you really want?
IIRC, Vilmark won a Tribute unlimited entry contest. Trip to New York or something like that.

There were also a couple of RFDers who won in the LG Smartphone Trivia contest last month by flooding entries (it was a daily prize draw) before the sponsors caught on and added a CAPTCHA to the entry form.

I usually avoid them (especially if they're U.S.-based) unless it's something I really want, in which case I'll probably enter 2 or 3 times a day but no more than that.
Mar 20, 2006
430 posts
317 upvotes
bluecanoe wrote:
Oct 19th, 2012 9:56 am
I also won an unlimited entry Tribute contest back in January, so it is possible :) I don't know that I would spend 10 minutes a day though, the odds are still against you and you wouldn't want to waste your time.
2014 Wins = $1062 2013 Wins = $794 2012 Wins = $12,622 2011 Wins = $1,710
Oct 3, 2012
32 posts
341 upvotes
Ah, cool. I was thinking specifically about one of the Sheknows contests... no captchas, I could see a programmer putting together some kind of automatic entry script or god knows how else people get around these things :)

Guess I'll just treat it like another daily... zero expectations!
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
14178 posts
106484 upvotes
Richmond Hill
winner2 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2012 1:05 pm
I am the second place "...known associate of the known vote contest types...". I entered the first week, and have steadily gathered votes. If you have been watching, I am sure you are aware that my vote numbers have increased by approximately the same amount every day. That is because the same number of friends come and vote for me daily.
I really enjoy vote contests, and I put a lot of time into them. I enjoy voting for others, and have developed what I consider real friendships with a number of people online as a result.
The fun thing about vote contests is that when a friend is in a contest, I will try to help, and will celebrate if that person wins. They are just as excited for me. There is a strong sense of community, and I love that. There are many, many cheaters, but I don't happen to be one of them. If a sponsor says a voting wall is allowed, I post on a voting wall. If they say no, I don't. If they don't say anything, I ask, and then respond accordingly.
I am not sure why Lady Speedstick is being brought up as an example. I suspect they might be describing getonlinevotes above? That is the only site I have ever heard of that you pay to be at the top of. Has someone from the contest posted there? I certainly haven't, nor have I ever paid for a vote.
I brought up Speedstick because:
  1. I'm entering it daily for the random voter's prize - so it came to mind first, and
  2. the vote disparity between the Top 6 and everyone else is pretty striking
BTW, congratulations on your big win in the MasterCard Priceless Moments voting contest.
Iv ta'be' Hev SoH, ghobe' Qoy lIj mu'mey, as SoH jaH pa' vo' vetlh tuq joq vetlh veng, shake lItha' the dust vo' lIj qamDu' (translation from the original Klingon: And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet)
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
14178 posts
106484 upvotes
Richmond Hill
winner2 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2012 1:51 pm
I still am not really sure why I, or the Lady Speedstick contest was brought up in a thread about paid voting sites. If someone is doing something they shouldn't, or posting somewhere they shouldn't, please let me know so I can pass it on to the sponsor. Thanks
Nah, don't worry about it. That will be taken care of shortly. I wouldn't want to impair your impartiality in this matter by getting you involved in any way, as you would stand to benefit significantly should any of your fellow Top 6ers get outed. It's important to keep up appearances.
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
14178 posts
106484 upvotes
Richmond Hill
winner2 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2012 5:44 pm
I have no idea what is generating this hostility. I may have disagreed with your position on voting contests, but I have been polite and have treated you with respect.
I think I had every right to defend myself, when my entry was mentioned in a discussion of some vote buying site that I have nothing to do with. My reputation is important to me, whether you choose to choose to believe it is simply keeping up appearances or not.
Oh, it's nothing to do with you personally - I just have a poor opinion of vote contest(er)s in general.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
8989 posts
13792 upvotes
jamesfitzgibbon wrote:
Oct 19th, 2012 5:58 pm
vote for me and I'll set you free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok, how and free from what?
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
14178 posts
106484 upvotes
Richmond Hill
jamesfitzgibbon wrote:
Oct 19th, 2012 5:58 pm
vote for me and I'll set you free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ishfish wrote:
Oct 19th, 2012 6:19 pm
Ok, how and free from what?
He wants McGuinty's (old) job.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
8989 posts
13792 upvotes
ronin1701 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2012 6:20 pm
He wants McGuinty's (old) job.
Oh. One of those Ont things again.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2010
21556 posts
2736 upvotes
North Vancouver
The DZA wrote:
Oct 19th, 2012 9:42 am
Its like I said, you can have 11 entries a day, but if you noticed on the very first day the contest opened, the leader had over 50 entries, which is impossible. He has tailed off since, but there is no way that he could have had 50+ entries on the first day
No, I was there from the first day. There was no big leader, just a long list of measly points. The top has been growing steadily while the rest of us mainly stick to entering via. the video and quiz.
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
14178 posts
106484 upvotes
Richmond Hill
winner2 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2012 9:40 pm
As Frank Zappa said, "The Mind is like a parachute, it works best when opened"
I am relieved that the comments were not directed at me as an individual. I actually was a bit distressed at the venom, but if it was written simply because I enjoy vote contests, that makes it better.
We all have our preferences. My husband builds RC airplanes. I would just as soon go to the dentist as to build an airplane, but truth is, I don't need to build airplanes if I don't want to. I can celebrate his flights and move on.
You say you have a poor opinion of me because I enter vote contests. No need to attack, just don't enter vote contests if you don't enjoy them, and move on.
Sure, whatever.

I'm not sure where you sensed the "venom" from - I was merely stating a fact. You are associated with the known group of professional vote contesters. That is a fact. How others choose to interpret that is up to them.

But we warned, there are folks around here who have much stronger opinions about the matter of voting contests than I do.

Cheers.