Contests

[Other] Contest Discussion(s)

Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2008
1013 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto
LOL I think I got that call a few times before. Any phone calls about cruise wins I usually don't believe or take seriously if I DO answer.
ginger001 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2009 11:51 am
Ok, so I did a reverse lookup for the Florida missed call….

Carnival Cruise Lines!!!! :eek:

I freaked!

So I called them back and was informed of their wonderful
specials they currently have going on… :twisted: :twisted:

Oh well! At least I got an adrenaline rush out of it! :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2005
5777 posts
987 upvotes
GTA
ginger001 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2009 11:51 am
Ok, so I did a reverse lookup for the Florida missed call….

Carnival Cruise Lines!!!! :eek:

I freaked!

So I called them back and was informed of their wonderful
specials they currently have going on… :twisted: :twisted:

Oh well! At least I got an adrenaline rush out of it! :cheesygri
Ahh I wouldnt dare call back any cruise people I never enter for cruises and rarely see them So they just smell SCAM to me.If its Caribbean cruise lines who say they're calling its a scam or timeshare whatever you feeel is more suiting.
Magneto wrote:
Nov 19th, 2009 12:26 pm
:lol: :lol: Well at least it wasn't the Captain John boat calling to spam you :lol: :lol:
They retired the horn thats only for the automated message. I won two cruises in a span of a week. :razz:
Nov 12, 2008
159 posts
24 upvotes
Whitehorse
tvwatcher wrote:
Nov 19th, 2009 11:16 am
I *think* the person you reply to sees it on their "home" page - which you can't see - the page that you do see is the page with all the tweets they make themselves

if you can see the reply on your own page, and if that person is following you, then they can see it on their page

does that make sense? LOL
Thank you tvwatcher, that makes lots of sense. Because no one ever replies to my replies (boo hoo), I didn't know if they got them.

Some people actually have conversations on twitter, our group just says "I want a Tassimo!" :lol:
Deal Expert
May 25, 2007
28350 posts
266 upvotes
Leahjz wrote:
Nov 19th, 2009 12:32 pm
I wonder what the ratio of wins is for one-time entries versus dailies? For the contesters that have won big prizes, which type is it usually from?
I've done well on Weekly's and Daily's.
Nov 12, 2008
159 posts
24 upvotes
Whitehorse
caper2007 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2009 5:03 am
hey radchaddy (love the name) some of this might help:

I use a slight mis-spelling of my real name on my Contest Facebook page and a false birthdate. (I have another facebook account for my real life) I associate this contest facebook account with an email account I created specifically for contests.

I also go to all the privacy settings in Facebook, and set everything to "Only my friends" Then if I don't have any friends listed then no one can stumble upon my facebook page/profile etc. This is important.
1. Click on "settings" top menu bar, right side.
2. Go to privacy - click on manage
3. scroll through options, choosing "only friends" as those who can view anything on your contest facebook.

I won a giftcard from a Winners Facebook contest. Your facebook has an email address associated with your page. Winners sent me a notification through my contest email account. (An email account specifically for contests, contains no personal info, and I don't care if it gets the occasional spam from my contest entering activities)
rats! So I signed up for an account with a slight misspelling and like an idiot, blew it by putting an email address that I once used and so when I signed in all these people that I had used that email with popped up. I quickly changed that email to the one that I use only for contests and have never sent a personal email from. When I signed in, a lot more people popped up, some of whom I know (some of them are relatives) but many that I don't, and many whose names I recognize from this small town but who would never have any of my email addresses. I didn't select any and it says I have no friends. Question: Are these people that "I might want to be friends with" showing up because they live in the same town and if for instance I lived in Hope, BC, people that live there would show up as possible friends?
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2007
4299 posts
1297 upvotes
magneto wrote:
Nov 18th, 2009 12:38 pm
a set of red olympic mitts = $10.00

the olympic torch = $350.00

the look on caper2007’s daughters face = priceless

there’s just some things contesting can do.
:)
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2007
4299 posts
1297 upvotes
ginger001 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2009 3:12 pm
When contest organizers call to tell you that you won, will
they leave a message on your answering machine if you're not
home?

I was just checking past phone calls on my call display and
on Nov. 11th, I received an unknown call from Florida.

Did I just miss a big win??? :eek:
The few larger contests wins that I had, on all occasions they left a voice mail on my phone with a name and call back number. Most of the time they let me know what I was the potential winner of as well.

Also, to foil those pesky telemarketers, I often google "who is calling 1-888-xxxx", giving the phone number, and often I can find a site/s where people are reporting which company/telemarketer is associated with that phone number.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2007
4299 posts
1297 upvotes
radchaddy wrote:
Nov 19th, 2009 10:42 pm
rats! So I signed up for an account with a slight misspelling and like an idiot, blew it by putting an email address that I once used and so when I signed in all these people that I had used that email with popped up. I quickly changed that email to the one that I use only for contests and have never sent a personal email from. When I signed in, a lot more people popped up, some of whom I know (some of them are relatives) but many that I don't, and many whose names I recognize from this small town but who would never have any of my email addresses. I didn't select any and it says I have no friends. Question: Are these people that "I might want to be friends with" showing up because they live in the same town and if for instance I lived in Hope, BC, people that live there would show up as possible friends?
I think that is just a feature of facebook you can ignore... If you are looking to have facebook friends, it makes some suggestions to you, mostly based on where you live.

Be sure to select "only my friends" on the security settings... and if you don't have any friends, then no one will be seeing your profile.
Oct 14, 2009
730 posts
montreal, Canada
I’m curious.
How many contests do you all enter in a day? Especially the big winners, how many hours a day to you dedicate to contesting?

I have trouble keeping up with about a dozen dailies that I have in my Favourites file! :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
3812 posts
1130 upvotes
Montreal
ginger001 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2009 12:03 pm
I’m curious.
How many contests do you all enter in a day? Especially the big winners, how many hours a day to you dedicate to contesting?

I have trouble keeping up with about a dozen dailies that I have in my Favourites file! :cheesygri
We live in the same area. I generally enter around 60/daily (Quebec is excluded in a lot of contest). I don't enter those for knick-knack prize or prizes I don't need no more. I had all of them in the favourite marked with exp date. Once it exp, I delete and move on.

Now I spend around 1 hour entering/30 minutes checking the threads, if I have extra time, then I check out the twitter. Hope this help.
Dec 4, 2007
159 posts
91 upvotes
Hi all!

First off, GREAT idea for a thread!! Second, I have a question about one time entries. How do you keep track of any that you might find elsewhere (like on another forum or from an email) so you don't enter it twice if/when it gets posted on RFD? I do post contests here on occasion if I find a new one....but I was just noticing a while ago that a LOT of contests get posted on other forums before they show up here and I don't want to be disqualified for entering twice!

Also....for the contests that actually block you from entering more than once - do you think they penalize you for trying to enter again?

Thanks!
Deal Guru
Jan 17, 2009
14442 posts
17936 upvotes
ONTARIO
When I find a [once] contest on Red Flags I press the "Thanks" button after entering so it turns gray. That way if I enter the thread again and see that I have already thanked the poster, I know I have already entered the contest.
Deal Expert
May 25, 2007
28350 posts
266 upvotes
I spend about 2 hours a day entering on-going and new contests.

As others have mentioned, I'm also more selective of what I enter. I do not enter contests that I won't enjoy the prize, just for the sake of entering. It would be selfish to take something I wouldn't appreciate from someone who will.

I also tend not to enter the big "Toronto" prizes that include airfare and the such into Toronto. I live here, I don't want to take the opportunity away from someone in Vancouver from experiencing that.

I also reply "Thanks!" in each thread so I know which ones I have entered. There is a thanks button, which I also hit. But is only viewable after entering the thread, replying within it allows you to see it from the forum view.
Nov 27, 2004
351 posts
945 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
morality28 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2009 8:28 pm
Hi all!

I have a question about one time entries. How do you keep track of any that you might find elsewhere (like on another forum or from an email) so you don't enter it twice if/when it gets posted on RFD?
I use this program to track all of the contests that I enter.

http://www.wavget.com/sweep.html

Just delete all those contests that get downloaded with the program, and then add your own.