Contests

[Other] Contest Discussion(s)

Deal Expert
Dec 22, 2006
35115 posts
19588 upvotes
Economy
From their website:
Pearle Vision Hey everyone! Thanks for hanging in there. We are having some issues with the link. We will post an announcement as soon as it has been fixed!
Deal Expert
Dec 22, 2006
35115 posts
19588 upvotes
Economy
The OhBaby! contests won't even load. I get:
The webpage cannot be found
HTTP 404
Most likely causes:
•There might be a typing error in the address.
•If you clicked on a link, it may be out of date.

What you can try:
Retype the address.

Go back to the previous page.

Go to and look for the information you want.

More information
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
valeriey wrote:
Jan 13th, 2013 7:10 pm
The OhBaby! contests won't even load. I get:
Bizarre. Their front page is loading fine, but everything else (not just their contests) is down.
Deal Expert
Dec 22, 2006
35115 posts
19588 upvotes
Economy
ronin1701 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2013 7:29 pm
Bizarre. Their front page is loading fine, but everything else (not just their contests) is down.
That is the same thing that I found.
Jan 21, 2009
53 posts
511 upvotes
Toronto
hello , i tried looking for an answer for this question but i haven't really found a clear answer yet but im just wondering if you win a physical prize ( like an i pad ) that is based on the US , will you get taxed on the item that you have won ? if so is there a way to get a rebate because its from a prize winning ? thanks alot . ( sorry if im not following a format or anything :S im a newb poster lol )
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
shadowedge wrote:
Jan 13th, 2013 10:39 pm
hello , i tried looking for an answer for this question but i haven't really found a clear answer yet but im just wondering if you win a physical prize ( like an i pad ) that is based on the US , will you get taxed on the item that you have won ? if so is there a way to get a rebate because its from a prize winning ? thanks alot . ( sorry if im not following a format or anything :S im a newb poster lol )
Short answer: maybe.

Long answer:
  • if it's a cash prize, then there will be a portion (30%) with-held at source.
  • But if it's merchandise, then there's no with-holding, but you're legally obligated to file a U.S. tax return and pay tax on your winnings. That having been said, it's hard to enforce, and the IRS probably has bigger fish to fry.
Jan 21, 2009
53 posts
511 upvotes
Toronto
ronin1701 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2013 10:45 pm
Short answer: maybe.

Long answer:
  • if it's a cash prize, then there will be a portion (30%) with-held at source.
  • But if it's merchandise, then there's no with-holding, but you're legally obligated to file a U.S. tax return and pay tax on your winnings. That having been said, it's hard to enforce, and the IRS probably has bigger fish to fry.
ahh cool thanks :) and if its Canadian contests and a Canadian resident there is no taxes right ?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
shadowedge wrote:
Jan 13th, 2013 11:09 pm
ahh cool thanks :) and if its Canadian contests and a Canadian resident there is no taxes right ?
Correct.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2013
11277 posts
2489 upvotes
Toronto
I'm new to contesting, so forgive me if this is covered elsewhere:

I don't have a cell phone. I provide my landline number for all contest entry forms, and I'm rarely at home (though I check my VM regularly). In the event of a contest win notification, are contest holders likely to leave a voicemail, or are they going to just move on to another name?

Many thanks!
Nov 7, 2012
148 posts
42 upvotes
Halifax
sherlockmandango wrote:
Jan 14th, 2013 11:52 am

I don't have a cell phone. I provide my landline number for all contest entry forms, and I'm rarely at home (though I check my VM regularly). In the event of a contest win notification, are contest holders likely to leave a voicemail, or are they going to just move on to another name?

Many thanks!
I've only received two calls for a contest win (although I suppose it's likely I missed one lol), all the rest have been by email. Both times the sponsor left me a detailed message about why they were calling and how to call back.
Jan 19, 2011
516 posts
717 upvotes
sherlockmandango wrote:
Jan 14th, 2013 11:52 am

Many thanks!
It all depends on the Sponsor.

Much Music does not phone more than once in a lot of cases.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
8476 posts
13427 upvotes
Win your wedding rings: if anyone is interested.
http://www.weddingringscanada.ca/win-your-rings-contest

Two rings every 3 months until Dec 31, 2013. I don't see rules - query spammy.

My Question: How do you know if there is a referral link in a contest link - I see Mark deleting them - but how do you know one when you see one???
× < >