[Other] Contest Discussion(s)

Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2008
20145 posts
375703 upvotes
Ottawa
fantod wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 11:39 pm
Just a heads up that I won a secondary (non-cash) prize from Reader's Digest on Monday and that my only notification of winning was through the mail. The envelope could easily be mistaken for junk mail, especially given the source. So if you enter Reader's Digest contests, open your mail!
just bumping this to the end since it was buried in the mass post moves today.
bring back colour
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2002
4973 posts
4901 upvotes
Toronto
ronin1701 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 10:57 am
And thanks again for everyone who contributed to the FAQ, whether through feedback on content or providing encouragement. Much appreciated!
How do we submit corrections and additions to the FAQ. In a quick read-through I would want to comment on:

1. The IRS taxing only US-source income is wrong. Maybe a technicality, but if your are subject to IRS taxation, then all your worldwide income is taxable. Hence US citizens living in Canada need to pay taxes on the cash-equivalent value of their winning. Canadians not subject to IRS taxation may see amounts withheld for their US winnings, but they can get most of that back (as in all those ads to help people get their tax back from big Vegas winnings.)

2. I would like to see discussion of tinyurl and goo.gl-style links and other obscuring methods, in discussing referrals and similar.

3. Also, I would want to see an entry about "should I enter voting contests or are they rigged?". You may recall my asnwer to that one already.. :D

I will post more corrections as I see them.
I've got a pretty good friend who's seen me at my worst.
He don't care if I'm a blessing or a curse,
But he always shows up when the chips are down.
That's the kind of friend I like to be around.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
8797 posts
13649 upvotes
The question of ceasing to permit tinyurl etc will be posed once rfd's bigger problems have been resolved.

As for voting contests...
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
14178 posts
106480 upvotes
Richmond Hill
hoob wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 7:08 pm
How do we submit corrections and additions to the FAQ. In a quick read-through I would want to comment on:

1. The IRS taxing only US-source income is wrong. Maybe a technicality, but if your are subject to IRS taxation, then all your worldwide income is taxable. Hence US citizens living in Canada need to pay taxes on the cash-equivalent value of their winning. Canadians not subject to IRS taxation may see amounts withheld for their US winnings, but they can get most of that back (as in all those ads to help people get their tax back from big Vegas winnings.)

2. I would like to see discussion of tinyurl and goo.gl-style links and other obscuring methods, in discussing referrals and similar.

3. Also, I would want to see an entry about "should I enter voting contests or are they rigged?". You may recall my asnwer to that one already.. :D

I will post more corrections as I see them.
1. Did you see the part in the FAQ where it says: "the following assumes that you're not a U.S. citizen, and that you're a Canadian-resident for tax purposes"

2. The other day (I guess you missed it) we were discussing the possibility of prohibiting the use of shortened URLs. See here: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/contest- ... st16215309

I think the FAQ is sufficient in this regard, as long as people know that referral links are verboten.

3. I don't remember your answer, but you know my thoughts on that, and I'm already in enough trouble with some RFDers ....
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
8797 posts
13649 upvotes
In regards to putting in a section: Should I enter voting contests? Or Points to consider regarding v.c.

Maybe there is someone in the community who would like to draft it?
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
14178 posts
106480 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ishfish wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 7:54 pm
In regards to putting in a section: Should I enter voting contests? Or Points to consider regarding v.c.

Maybe there is someone in the community who would like to draft it?
I'm sure there are many who'd like to write it, but not so many who'd like to be threatened with a libel suit :razz:

But yeah, let somebody else write it (and paste it in, too!)

Hoob - you wanna take first crack at it? (since you brought it up .... I was hoping to just sit on it).
Aug 24, 2011
259 posts
409 upvotes
CALGARY
Alright Ronin and Ishfish... are you done switching Avatars? LOL
:confused:
Now I'm going to get specific... looking to win a trip to Tahiti, but Italy would do in a pinch!
:D
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
14178 posts
106480 upvotes
Richmond Hill
tiredofcold wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 7:58 pm
Yes!
Deal Expert
Dec 22, 2006
38290 posts
26488 upvotes
Economy
tiredofcold wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 7:58 pm
LOL Thanks for that comment. I thought I was losing my sanity. :D
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
14178 posts
106480 upvotes
Richmond Hill
valeriey wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 8:00 pm
LOL Thanks for that comment. I thought I was losing my sanity. :D
Why not both? :razz:
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
8797 posts
13649 upvotes
ronin1701 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 7:57 pm
I'm sure there are many who'd like to write it, but not so many who'd like to be threatened with a libel suit :razz:

But yeah, let somebody else write it (and paste it in, too!)

Hoob - you wanna take first crack at it? (since you brought it up .... I was hoping to just sit on it).
Your writing in the sticky is very clear and objective and I have not doubt that style would continue if you were to undertake Voting.
I just think it best if someone else do it so as to side step the Old Can o' Worms as much as possible. :)
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
14178 posts
106480 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ishfish wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 8:16 pm
Your writing in the sticky is very clear and objective and I have not doubt that style would continue if you were to undertake Voting.
I just think it best if someone else do it so as to side step the Old Can o' Worms as much as possible. :)
It's being too objective (aka. "tellin' it like it is") that gets me in trouble ;)
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
8797 posts
13649 upvotes
ronin1701 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 8:20 pm
It's being too objective (aka. "tellin' it like it is") that gets me in trouble ;)
Sometimes when one person speaks up they become highlighted and others who have a similar view get the luxury of being Clean - happens in regards to voting, thanking etc...
That is just life.
But if you are the most vocal then you run the risk of being viewed as the bossy #$$@#.
There is enough potential dirty work to go around to others.
I just think it would be better if someone else took this on.
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
14178 posts
106480 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ishfish wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 8:29 pm
Sometimes when one person speaks up they become highlighted and others who have a similar view get the luxury of being Clean - happens in regards to voting, thanking etc...
That is just life.
But if you are the most vocal then you run the risk of being viewed as the bossy #$$@#.
There is enough potential dirty work to go around to others.
I just think it would be better if someone else took this on.
I don't disagree. I'm hoping someone else does take it on (although I was also hoping to just avoid the subject altogether).

Where's Hoob? I can see that he's online right now.
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
14178 posts
106480 upvotes
Richmond Hill
:arrowd:
hoob wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2012 10:32 am
Oh no, don't open that can of worms again!! :D I think the politically correct statement is:

Voting contests provide an contest submission and prize allocation environment that requires a particular skill set and commitment from participants, which impacts a strong divide in the appeal of the contest. All contest participants should consider the historical habits of voting contest promoters and track records of prize allocation to determine if their own participation will provide the usual element of enjoyment and probability of winning which they are used to, and make a personal, reflective decision on whether to participate in such contests.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

Tracydeanne