• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2024 12:05 am
Tags:
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24148 posts
43041 upvotes
ONTARIO
Rosibal wrote: It all depends on the sponsor-regardless of the method of entry; I won three online trips and I did not have to pay anything out of pocket even though two of those contest said that the extras like taxes are additional and not included in the prize
I agree. It all depends on the sponsor.

Won round-trip tickets from Air Canada to anywhere I want in Canada. Still have to pay the taxes on the flights.
Won a trip for 4 to BC and in the rules it states that the winner is responsible for airport taxes. The flights were booked and paid for by the contest sponsor instead of having me do it. I didn't pay anything. Only have to pay to get myself to the airport and to the hotel when we arrive.
Dec 10, 2009
854 posts
5701 upvotes
Victoria
Triever wrote: Question: I am curious...
In reading the rules online for some contests offering all-inclusive trips, the rules state "not included: transportation fees, taxes and service charges.. currency and fuel surcharges, etc..."
If you look online the "fees" are in the range of $400 to $450 per person on top of the package price per person (I was looking at sunquest.ca)
If you win the prize do you have to pay that much in taxes in fees when you book your trip?
When I won an all-inclusive trip package on-air from a radio station... we were not out of pocket anything for our trip.
But when you win online, you pay those extra fees after you win?
My experience for what it is worth. Won a radio contest trip over twenty years ago and only had to cover spending money, even tours were thrown in. In the last ten years between hubby and I we have won three trips and each one have had to pay the fees and taxes. So no, when entering for trips they are rarely completely FREE anymore. I always consider if I would pay the reduced trip cost in deciding whether to enter. I also look at where the trip originates and whether I have additional costs there. Although I got lucky on a trip to Portugal where I read the rules after entering (I've learned my lesson!) and realized it originated from Toronto and only included airfare and hotel. Fortunately in that case the sponsor did throw in the airfare to Toronto, just not the Toronto hotel costs pre and post trip and other costs :)
Deal Guru
Oct 4, 2006
12896 posts
259 upvotes
I won a trip for 4 to Ireland July of last year worth $12000 and i didn't have to pay a single penny. Everything and i mean EVERYTHING was included with the prize. Best vacation ever!!!
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24148 posts
43041 upvotes
ONTARIO
I don't know what contest they got my number from, because I couldn't understand her fully, but if you get a call from 201-308-5378, don't bother.

I pick up all unknown numbers these days just in case it's a contest. They just phoned telling me they were calling from some resort in vegas. Blah blah blah, you entered so-and-so contest (couldn't understand her). We can offer you up to 90% off, blah blah blah.
Spam.

I hung up.

Just letting people know because I am sure I am not the only one. I've since added the number to my phone block list.
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2008
19809 posts
378567 upvotes
Ottawa
same. it was from diamond resorts contest.
bring back colour
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
2848 posts
327 upvotes
jamesfitzgibbon wrote: +1 but vorthex is probably talking 'bout me, eh? lol
Because all you do is cry. You win $5000 a few months ago and a bunch of other prizes (or less than a few months ago) and all you do is whine about how you havent won anything on a regular basis. Its immature and it gets old fast. Doesnt matter I am going to block you and a few other people who do the same thing.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
2848 posts
327 upvotes
jnunavut wrote: hm. not to be a jerk but. i think this should be pointed out

These are all your posts in the "winners thread"

Jan 8th 2014

Dec 23rd 2013

and

Dec. 19th 2013

Don't get me wrong, i get what you are saying. but you have to see the irony right?
One of the contests I literally spent 50+ hours entering and thats what I was sharing, and how much money I spent on the pepsi contest. And one post I was merely being goofy for posting hoping for a big win. Completely different than posting whining every few days that you havent won a prize. If you posted how much some people whine you'd have 100+ posts compared to my 3.
Feb 7, 2010
151 posts
428 upvotes
Oshawa
Same for me. They say you won then they ask how much you make and do you own a credit card. There is no Airfare included and I bet they when you get there all they do is pepper you with high pressure sales pitches to buy swamp land.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
1015 posts
1948 upvotes
vorthex wrote: One of the contests I literally spent 50+ hours entering and thats what I was sharing, and how much money I spent on the pepsi contest. And one post I was merely being goofy for posting hoping for a big win. Completely different than posting whining every few days that you havent won a prize. If you posted how much some people whine you'd have 100+ posts compared to my 3.
no worries. i get what you are saying. i just remembered you posting these so i found it funny. cheers and good luck to all.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
2848 posts
327 upvotes
tharizzla wrote: He complains about everyone you'd think he wouldn't read the forums and just use the contests considering how sensitive he is to what other people do
I complain about things that are stupid. Like people who use the forums as a means to their own end. Spamming thanks in every thread for selfish reasons even when it results in spamming other members with useless information. People who are selfish who dont care about how their actions affect others need to be told what they are doing is wrong.

Regarding the complainers; I can just ignore them, someone told me how. So it will no longer bother me, but I am sure it gets annoying for other people to read the people who think they are entitled to win prizes every other day.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 13, 2009
8501 posts
2496 upvotes
Toronto
vorthex wrote: Because all you do is cry. You win $5000 a few months ago and a bunch of other prizes (or less than a few months ago) and all you do is whine about how you havent won anything on a regular basis. Its immature and it gets old fast. Doesnt matter I am going to block you and a few other people who do the same thing.
:cry:
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2012
1525 posts
450 upvotes
In reading the rules online for some contests offering all-inclusive trips, the rules state "not included: transportation fees, taxes and service charges.. currency and fuel surcharges, etc..."
If you look online the "fees" are in the range of $400 to $450 per person on top of the package price per person (I was looking at sunquest.ca)
If you win the prize do you have to pay that much in taxes in fees when you book your trip?
When I won an all-inclusive trip package on-air from a radio station... we were not out of pocket anything for our trip.
As others said, it depends on the sponsor. My only trip win was through CityTV and Sunwing, and we had to pay all the flight taxes and fees - which for Sunwing is 95% of the ticket cost, so nearly $1300 for 4.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1396 posts
228 upvotes
How does rafflecopter work? I can't figure out what email is associated with my account. Everytime I log out it logs me back in and I can't see if FB is associated with it or an email I provided. If you win something through rafflecopter do they contact you via FB or email or the blog you entered through ??? So many questions !
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2009
5741 posts
1406 upvotes
I won this trip a few years back, "Sunquest and Thomas Cook, we’d like to congratulate you and thank you for participating in our ‘20 Trips in 20 Days’ promotion that recently ran in the Toronto Star." It was an all inclusive trip to Mexico to the Ocean Turquesa/Coral resort and it did not cost us anything but our spending money. We had a wonderful time there. I won a trip last year to Aruba to the Brickell Bay resort from the Chris Robinson radio show in Toronto (although I entered through the Facebook page) and it cost us quite a bit. It was not all inclusive so no meals were included, we had to pay all the taxes and fees on our airfare, and also our transfers from the airport to the resort and back. There was also an added on resort fee we had to pay when checking out. Aruba is a very expensive place so without this win we would have never seen Aruba so we were thankful for the win. This resort was wonderful to us and if we could afford it would go back in a heartbeat but it was a pretty expensive win, LOL
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2008
3213 posts
6903 upvotes
Oakville
^^^^
Spidey wrote: Had a phone Interview with someone from the Canadian Press last night about contesting, got my info from here since Im one of the top winners
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1582 upvotes
[quote="owenx" post_id="18358276" time="1392360961" user_id="177909"]^^^^

Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1582 upvotes
biznez wrote: I won a trip for 4 to Ireland July of last year worth $12000 and i didn't have to pay a single penny. Everything and i mean EVERYTHING was included with the prize. Best vacation ever!!!
I rmember winning a huge Starbucks contest to India years ago worth $13,000, was super excited, until it turned out I would have to pay almost $2000 out of my won pocket to cover stuff they werent like transfers, taxes on stuff, etc

Didnt go because I couldnt afford it, and the prize never went to anyone else

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)