Page 489 of 1056

Re: Contest Discussion(s)

Posted: Jan 23rd, 2013 6:36 am
by Tracydeanne
ronin1701 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 1:42 am
^ 568

The brackets around "352" are unnecessary.
Yep, I wondered why the brackets too.

Posted: Jan 23rd, 2013 8:19 am
by ronin1701
Tracydeanne wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 6:36 am
Yep, I wondered why the brackets too.
I hope they didn't put them in the wrong place, in which case it may really be 6552 :P

Posted: Jan 23rd, 2013 9:20 am
by pickmepickme
pinecone wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 8:53 pm
RE: [Daily] 2013/03/21 Woman's Day - Bowflex® TreadClimber Giveaway (QC no) http://forums.redflagdeals.com/2013-03- ... o-1291252/

From the Rules: 'Expenses not specifically included in prize description and all taxes are the sole responsibility of the winner.'

Just curious . . . Has anyone ever won a high-value prize from the US? This prize is valued at $3,999 USD, so what does that mean to a Canadian winner in regards to ‘expenses’ (I’m thinking shipping?) and taxes? i.e. how much would a Canadian winner have to pay out to receive this prize? Thanx for any feedback!
I won a $3,000 prize from a US contest and they shipped it from one of their Canadian locations, so I avoided all taxes and customs charges. Maybe the BoFlex contest organizers could also do the same, because the BoFlex Canada website says that almost all of its products ship from within Canada, and only a few items have to come from the US and those may involve customs and brokerage charges. I don't know how my contest promoter organized the tax situation with Uncle Sam, but if I ever win a US contest again, I will certainly see if they have Canadian affiliates that can send the prize to me from within Canada.

Posted: Jan 23rd, 2013 9:59 am
by binabug
most of the u.s. canadian contests make US people pay taxes due to the laws and cdns do the STQ
I've not won a big $ prize from a US sponsor but that is what is usually in the rules (I have a friend in the hat who just won a car from a sweep so we'll see what happens in her situation as she WILL have to pay taxes if she brings the car back but I'm not sure if she would have to if she sells it there...cloudy area for me LOL

Posted: Jan 23rd, 2013 10:07 am
by Tracydeanne2
ronin1701 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 8:19 am
I hope they didn't put them in the wrong place, in which case it may really be 6552 :P
Maybe I should save a screen shot just in case. lol

Posted: Jan 23rd, 2013 10:35 am
by vilmark
The poll on the thanking in thread has been moved to the expired section as it has been agreed upon that it has run its coarse. http://forums.redflagdeals.com/poll-rep ... s-1283005/

Posted: Jan 23rd, 2013 10:39 am
by ronin1701
FYI - final results: 124-68

Also, see here: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/rfd-cont ... st16218257

Posted: Jan 23rd, 2013 10:41 am
by vilmark
Id like to take a moment to thank ronin1701 for the hard work on the FAQ thread. Hopefully it will benefit all new and existing contestors in RFD for years to come

Posted: Jan 23rd, 2013 10:43 am
by ronin1701
vilmark wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 10:41 am
Id like to take a moment to thank ronin1701 for the hard work on the FAQ thread. Hopefully it will benefit all new and existing contestors in RFD for years to come
Thanks, you're welcome and my pleasure.

I originally asked ishfish to do it, but she didn't feel like it :razz:

Also, I'm sure that there's been stuff that was missed or isn't 100% accurate. Feel free to point that out, either here or via PM and we can see about adding/changing things.

Posted: Jan 23rd, 2013 10:57 am
by ronin1701
And thanks again for everyone who contributed to the FAQ, whether through feedback on content or providing encouragement. Much appreciated!

Posted: Jan 23rd, 2013 12:54 pm
by ronin1701
Rosibal wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 11:28 pm
Ronin; there is this contest I enter daily and in the rules it says the following: "Winners are liable to pay any tariffs or foreign shipping cost if outside the U.S.‏"
Good point.

The way I see it, unless the rules clearly state that upfront, then they shouldn't be asking for shipping after the fact.

I've won several merchandise prizes in U.S. contests, and I've never been asked to pay anything. They even sent the prizes up by Fedex!

Posted: Jan 23rd, 2013 1:00 pm
by ronin1701
pinecone wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 8:53 pm
RE: [Daily] 2013/03/21 Woman's Day - Bowflex® TreadClimber Giveaway (QC no) http://forums.redflagdeals.com/2013-03- ... o-1291252/

From the Rules: 'Expenses not specifically included in prize description and all taxes are the sole responsibility of the winner.'

Just curious . . . Has anyone ever won a high-value prize from the US? This prize is valued at $3,999 USD, so what does that mean to a Canadian winner in regards to ‘expenses’ (I’m thinking shipping?) and taxes? i.e. how much would a Canadian winner have to pay out to receive this prize? Thanx for any feedback!
I took a look at this again, and re: shipping, I believe that's a standard boilerplate clause that's included in all of the Hearst contest rules.

For what it's worth, I won a prize from Redbook (another Hearst publication) last year and the rules included the exact same wording. However I was never asked to pay any shipping costs (shipping weight was almost 20 pounds, and it came via Fedex) and I was also not asked to complete the "1099-MISC" IRS tax form.

Although that having been said, a bowflex is a lot heavier and more expensive than a kitchen appliance.

Posted: Jan 23rd, 2013 2:09 pm
by ishfish
The sticky is a great contribution to rfd: very comprehensive and user friendly.
I should be done reading it sometime before the spring - until then I am thanking to mark what I have read.

I do not think it is just for newbies either. I had not thought about some contests not accepting links etc...

Posted: Jan 23rd, 2013 2:12 pm
by ronin1701
ishfish wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 2:09 pm
I should be done reading it sometime before the spring - until then I am thanking to mark what I have read.
That's why we've hyperlinked all of the topics from the "Contents Page". So you can just click-and-go for the topics that really interest you.

Posted: Jan 23rd, 2013 3:21 pm
by hoob
vilmark wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 10:41 am
Holy crap when did that FAQ thread pop up? Did I miss things? Can we edit it wiki style (excluding vandalism of course :) ) Looks good ronin.